What I think about Evolve

LaCuNa

Limp Gawd
I think this game sucks, I think it is a de-evolution of standard, especially with their previous product the excellent L4D (pronounced "Left 4 Dead") series, 1&2. Epic games,

Evolve stinks /discuss

If it's against a rule somewhere that saying this game, or this particular game sucks, then I take that back and replace the word with "unfavorable". I don't want this locked I just want to express how higlly disappointed I am with this game.

I completely agree, and i knew it wasnt going to be good from the start. The gameplay will become stale just like Titanfall did. The only way to actually win the game is to have teamwork and we all know how that goes with randoms....

Feels like DOTA. Be in a premade cooperating team and win 99% of the time. I think the game is fun but I can only play about 2 or 3 games before I am done for the day.

As a longtime L4D fan, I agree. Tracking (chasing) the monster for 10 minutes and then having my team wiped out in 2 minutes isn't my idea of a good time. To be honest I haven't given it much time though, maybe it gets better. I just can't bring myself to want to play it. Zzz.

( 50 hours in the Beta ). It would be more interesting to explain what you dislike and what you like about the game.

L4D worked because a player took over 'The Tank" and it was completely random and very limited when done. A lot of people pointed out the problem with a 4 v 1 game mode that was simply an extension of that from the beginning. Epic job with the PR and Marketing no doubt about it, but was anyone surprised they wouldn't like it if they did?

They should have copied L4D all the way. Allow 4 v 3 v 1 or something like it. Monsters get some durable lasting beastie that respawn to support the randomly selected monster per game. Tone all the mechanics to adjust and I think the game would be a blast. They had the right formula from L4D/L4D2. You are right. It's a regression.

What is terrible about Evolve is good monster players can go on win streaks for hundreds of games against decent teams. Teams of hunters that normally do well against new monster players (all using Goliath) get smoked over and over by these better Wraith and Kraken players. There are a few Wraith players on PS4 that have win streaks of 260+ (Natsume_hi) and 550+ (Under_shade) currently both on Twitch. It's not balanced for the people who are actively trying to play the game, the good monster players have solved the meta game and are almost invincible.

Last edited:
What is terrible about Evolve is good monster players can go on win streaks for hundreds of games against decent teams. Teams of hunters that normally do well against new monster players (all using Goliath) get smoked over and over by these better Wraith and Kraken players. There are a few Wraith players on PS4 that have win streaks of 260+ (Natsume_hi) and 550+ (Under_shade) currently both on Twitch. It's not balanced for the people who are actively trying to play the game, the good monster players have solved the meta game and are almost invincible.

I don't think that's the norm...seems pretty rare...I can go on win streaks as the Monster but sooner rather then later you'll run into a good Hunter team...game is well balanced for the most part but the upcoming PC patch notes have balanced things out even more...in my 142 hours of gameplay so far I see the Hunters as being a bit too OP but it's fine for the most part...adding in a different balance like 4v2 or something like that would be nice and I'm sure Turtle Rock is looking into it

It's no where near in the same league as TR previous games. In fact more people are playing L4D2 than they are Evolve, that should tell you something TR.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/550,273350

I like Turtle Rock and I hope they get another chance at a AAA title but they better step up there game next time and get back to what they do best -- good competitive 4v4. They should have known 4v1 was going to be a failure.

I think any skill based game will turn some people off...this is not a CoD spray bullets everywhere and win type of game...it's more tactical

I think any skill based game will turn some people off...this is not a CoD spray bullets everywhere and win type of game...it's more tactical

Evolve is not even close as tactical or competitive as L4D2 is, not even in the same ballpark. It's more than say a casual experience such as COD, sure, but what game isn't?

4v1 was destined for failure, period. And the player numbers prove it. Their 5 year old game has twice as many active players on playing daily. Pathetic.

Evolve is a good idea on paper, terrible in practice.

Evolve is not even close as tactical or competitive as L4D2 is, not even in the same ballpark. It's more than say a casual experience such as COD, sure, but what game isn't?

4v1 was destined for failure, period. And the player numbers prove it. Their 5 year old game has twice as many active players on playing daily. Pathetic.

player base can improve if Turtle Rock makes gameplay changes, more maps, Monsters, Hunters etc...the game can't be considered a failure yet...it's sold really well on consoles...the pre-release DLC turned away a lot of PC players moreso then the game itself

player base can improve if Turtle Rock makes gameplay changes, more maps, Monsters, Hunters etc...the game can't be considered a failure yet...it's sold really well on consoles...the pre-release DLC turned away a lot of PC players moreso then the game itself

Agreed.

overall the game is great

but it just gets stale

btw there is already an evolve thread, did we really need a new one?

It's a a casual game you play like 3-4 times turn it off then play it again maybe.

If you balance something for 4v1, that means that the one person team is fully dependent on the single individual to either win or lose, he is not dependent on anybody else other than himself. Yes there are those little random monsters running around and stuff, but if the player is extremely skilled he should be able to win everytime. I mean if the game is balanced 50/50 , which it should be, and what it seemed like when I played, than the monster player will have a tremendous advantage. L4D was better because of the decided team format.

I agree 200%. Even before I tried the alpha, I felt 4v1 was going to be rather crappy compared to the 4v4 L4D standard (or maybe the 10v10 servers if you tried them :D ).

I saw some videos. It seemed like an extremely tedious game to play.

This. I watched the videos and it sounded fun on the surface but when you look at the team dynamics I just couldn't get into it. It looked exactly tedious.

My 2 cents, The game wasn't terrible. I just didn't like wandering around the map for 10+ minutes. On the flip side, the starting monster for lower level players just doesn't hold up very well. Seems like a game that you either love or hate it.

My 2 cents, The game wasn't terrible. I just didn't like wandering around the map for 10+ minutes. On the flip side, the starting monster for lower level players just doesn't hold up very well. Seems like a game that you either love or hate it.

No offence, just being straight but it sounds like you're playing it wrong. The beast will always be faster and able to out maneuver you for a good reason. That’s the whole point and great importance of the mobile arena. Best to split into 2 teams of 2 and have one to try to head it off. Following footsteps or Daisy the whole game will no doubt get you nowhere.

No offence, just being straight but it sounds like you're playing it wrong. The beast will always be faster and able to out maneuver you for a good reason. That’s the whole point and great importance of the mobile arena. Best to split into 2 teams of 2 and have one to try to head it off. Following footsteps or Daisy the whole game will no doubt get you nowhere.

Playing it wrong...I sure do love hearing that.

You know what this game is it's the pacing of the game people don't like it's a mad rush to nowhere.
I love the graphics though and characters playing a medic is fun while the beast trys and kills the hunters you just jump around and heal.

You know what this game is it's the pacing of the game people don't like it's a mad rush to nowhere.
I love the graphics though and characters playing a medic is fun while the beast trys and kills the hunters you just jump around and heal.

I'm guilty of this. I went into it thinking the action would be more fast paced all of the time. I think what killed it for me is that the matchmaking took awhile to find a game which was off putting

Playing it wrong...I sure do love hearing that.

I am guessing that you are trying to be sarcastic, but when you aren't using basic strategy in a game reliant on it, then yeap you sure are playing it wrong.

Have you ever gone hunting in real life, read about it or watched shows explaining it?, tracking only helps against preys that don't know that they are being followed, for anything else you have to set up traps, boxing them in.

I am guessing that you are trying to be sarcastic, but when you aren't using basic strategy in a game reliant on it, then yeap you sure are playing it wrong.

I was being sarcastic :) I started to somewhat get into it, but not for the high price tag. (i rented it on xbox one). I couldn't justify the $60 price tag, let alone 45 or 50. Thats just me of course.

And no, i have never gone hunting. Ill take your word for it .

tracking only helps against preys that don't know that they are being followed, for anything else you have to set up traps, boxing them in.

in real life this is true but in games like this tracking is still useful even if the Monster knows about it...the tracking darts, red mist etc are all very effective in the game in the hands of skilled Hunters...I think the people that are complaining of slow, tedious gameplay have never played a 'good' match...it's a cat and mouse game but once you reach a certain skill level you won't be hiding for the entire match

I usually only try and stay out of sight until I reach Stage 2 but even at Stage 1 if I see a Hunter by himself I attack...the little skirmishes are fun as hell...and once the Monster hits Level 3 the battle can get really intense...throwing out all of your Monster abilities versus a good Hunter team is very entertaining

I need to upload one of my Kraken matches

The progression system and the totally fucked up pre-order/ dlc /bullshit retail layout is a fucking disaster.
Even if evolve is good, the way they rolled the game out couldn't have been worse.

The progression system...is a fucking disaster.
Even if evolve is good, the way they rolled the game out couldn't have been worse.
I agree. The unlocks are a high barrier of entry for new players. There is nothing worse than being a level 0 and being matched against level 20+ players with more characters and perks available. Goliath is a lot of fun actually, but not when your skills and perks are unleveled. This system almost makes playing against bots to get started a requirement.

There is nothing worse than being a level 0 and being matched against level 20+ players with more characters and perks available. Goliath is a lot of fun actually, but not when your skills and perks are unleveled. This system almost makes playing against bots to get started a requirement.

the matchmaking has always matched me with people in my range...I'm currently at Level 38 and get the occasional level 24'ish player but overall it does a good job of level matching

The game is fun.

It's more about mastery and finding what to improve in (limited characters/abilities) rather than having 150 champs (league of legends) where the entry barrier is the sheer amount of knowledge required and the road to improvement is often obvious.
If you are used to just digesting content and moving on, the game won't be worth it for you. If you enjoy figuring out the best way of doing something while min/maxing your gameplay with teammates, then it's a lot of fun. My team all have hundreds of hours in at this point. We are still constantly learning and figuring out tactics to play against the meta. We all have plenty of areas to grow in.

The DLC shenanigans are blown out of proportion. The base game is priced fine. Many of us are FINE with multiplayer being a genre because the focus on it produces better results. The cost of the upcoming monsters is a bit expensive but still blown out of proportion when compared to similar games.

People are riding the hate train on the game as every game reviewer is attacking the DLC model. The people actually playing the game fall into 3 categories. They love the game, they wish the balance patch would hit (wraith complaints), or they dislike the game entirely and aren't playing anymore. In any case, as usual, the loudest crowd isn't populated by the people playing the game.

not a fan of this game at all either. Boring running around chasing a monster. It was fun for a couple maps then it turned into extreme tedium.

got my 25th win as the Kraken a few minutes ago...ranked 392 in the world and climbing

The only time I get bored is against the Wraith. They need to slow her down, I see more people just quit against her than for any other reason. Otherwise its fun and balanced when the bugs stay down.

Goliath and Kraken are great and can easily be tracked and hunted. Even chasing them isn't bad since you keep them moving and from feeding. Evading the hunters with those monsters is also a fun event. But really push the monster towards favorable grounds and hope you are not being pulled towards a fight :).

It seems basic on the surface but if people play into it a lot can happen and each round can be different. L4D was the same (at least for me).

I hope the remove party monster restrictions, open up match making, fix it while they do that and find a way to turn the Wraith into the assassin she is touted to be instead of an escape artist.

I've unlocked all the Hunters but I still prefer playing as the Monster...maybe that's why I'm enjoying the game more...I can see how running around for 15 minutes as the Hunter constantly chasing something might get a bit tedious...Turtle Rock needs to add more dynamic events to the map to engage the Hunters while they are not engaging the Monster

Back