What Heat Sink for Ivy i5 3570?

Detox11

n00b
Dumb question, but building a new rig, plan to put the Ivy Bridge i5 3570 chip in. I don't see myself overclocking.

Can someone recommend what heat sink to purchase with this CPU, many thanks.

Motherboard will most likely be Asus P8Z77-V and case is Antec P280.

Thanks.
Detox

The stock HSF (heatsink/fan) is fine for any of our processors along as you are not trying for quite or going to overclock. Heck with a good case and an SSD, I have my old system running quite with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with 2 fans.

get CM Hyper 212. they are cheap and very effective much better than stock and able to oc

+1
unless you want to go silent on stock, the stock heatsink is fine
I agree, why spend the extra money on a perfectly acceptable HS that’s been paired with the CPU? Unless you have a hole burning in your pocket, a different aesthetics opinion, or have any other unmentioned differences, why even bother? Yea, the other mentioned HS are great but why spend the extra money.

Well as almost everyone suggested, 212+ is very cheap and effective. I have seen them for as low as $10 but they typically go for 20-30.

Then again, if the cpu is going to be stock for its entire life span, the stock heatsink is fine.

I agree, why spend the extra money on a perfectly acceptable HS that’s been paired with the CPU? Unless you have a hole burning in your pocket, a different aesthetics opinion, or have any other unmentioned differences, why even bother? Yea, the other mentioned HS are great but why spend the extra money.

Because an aftermarket HSF will blow the air directly out back towards the rear fan or if you have a top fan it can be blown up.
This lets the hot air escape ASAP instead of the stock HSF just blowing it around the case.
These threads come up allllll the time and I will say the same as usual. I have never used the stock HS that came with the cpu. Even on my kids that dont OC, I have at least the freezer 7's or 212's.

My 2 cents!

There is absolutely 0 reason to use a non-stock hsf for a cpu you are not going to overclock. Intel has done loads of research on each cpu to determine what temperature in a shitty dell case clogged with dust is needed to avoid any degree of thermal fatigue + creep. They then designed exactly what hsf provides that temperature or better.

Don't waste you money.

There is absolutely 0 reason to use a non-stock hsf for a cpu you are not going to overclock. Intel has done loads of research on each cpu to determine what temperature in a shitty dell case clogged with dust is needed to avoid any degree of thermal fatigue + creep. They then designed exactly what hsf provides that temperature or better.

Don't waste you money.

Really? I listed a few reasons. :)
Its person's choice really. I would rather spend a few $$ even if not OC'n.
The stock HSF is designed to work and be cheap to produce, doesnt mean its good, it just does that, it works.

Sorry for the thread hijack but do you guys think I should be able to hit 4.5ghz with this processor with an asrock z77 pro4m and a kuhler 620? This will be inside a fractal arc midi btw.

If you're not overclocking and your case has good air flow, then the included HSF will be just fine. Remember, IB runs cooler than SB because of the die shrink and lower Vcore, unless you're pushing the OC.

Two reasons, cooler is always better and it is easier to do it now.
Also I lack faith in Intel pushpins, I've found them extremely troublesome in repeated use admittedly more often aftermarket ones (larger and heavier heatsinks) and perhaps removed and replaced more often than most. (learning, trying different paste, different heat sinks)

The Loki is probably the best performing screw mounted 92mm cooler I've found, the Hyper 212+ the best on sale if it fits your case. At $30 I'd probably spring $5 more for the EVO. Possibly.

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread hijack but do you guys think I should be able to hit 4.5ghz with this processor with an asrock z77 pro4m and a kuhler 620? This will be inside a fractal arc midi btw.

yes it should be fine unless your chip needs excessive volts for some reason.

Because an aftermarket HSF will blow the air directly out back towards the rear fan or if you have a top fan it can be blown up.
This lets the hot air escape ASAP instead of the stock HSF just blowing it around the case.
These threads come up allllll the time and I will say the same as usual. I have never used the stock HS that came with the cpu. Even on my kids that dont OC, I have at least the freezer 7's or 212's.

My 2 cents!

With current gen components in a gaming rig (in an ATX tower) I would not be worried at all about heat if nothing is being overclocked, especially in a P280 like OP is using.

IB CPUs do not dump a lot of heat into the case (especially at stock), same with GTX 670/780 or AMD 7950/7970 on stock volts/clocks.

I would not waste any money on an aftermarket heatsink if running an IB at stock.

With current gen components in a gaming rig (in an ATX tower) I would not be worried at all about heat if nothing is being overclocked, especially in a P280 like OP is using.

IB CPUs do not dump a lot of heat into the case (especially at stock), same with GTX 670/780 or AMD 7950/7970 on stock volts/clocks.

I would not waste any money on an aftermarket heatsink if running an IB at stock.

Some call it a waste, some not. I always worry about heat.
A few bucks to have most of the heat thrown out quickly is worth it to me. :D

Also getting an aftermarket that attaches with a backplate is easy when you first do the build. This way if you decide to OC later on, you are ready.

Some call it a waste, some not. I always worry about heat.
A few bucks to have most of the heat thrown out quickly is worth it to me. :D

Also getting an aftermarket that attaches with a backplate is easy when you first do the build. This way if you decide to OC later on, you are ready.

P280 has a very large cut-out in the MoBo tray. It'd be easier to attach with the MoBo installed at a later time if the decision to OC is made. Until then, the stock HSF will work great, imo. Remember, IB has a max TDP of 105* C, so the included unit will be fine with no OC'ing.

Having a good heatsink (Noctua) and a decent designed case (Lian Li) lowers the temps of ALL components (GPU, HD, soundcard, mobo... etc), also lowering the sound levels from inside the case as well as outside. Man you on the wrong website if your gonna put up with STOCK anything IMHO. We don't believe in STOCK here. ;)

P280 has a very large cut-out in the MoBo tray. It'd be easier to attach with the MoBo installed at a later time if the decision to OC is made. Until then, the stock HSF will work great, imo. Remember, IB has a max TDP of 105* C, so the included unit will be fine with no OC'ing.

I already stated it would work, just stating opinions, options, etc. :D

And as Teletran8 pointed out, this is the [H] group! ;)

I already stated it would work, just stating opinions, options, etc. :D

And as Teletran8 pointed out, this is the [H] group! ;)

I get that, believe me. I've got a sizeable HSF on my IB and I run it at stock clocks a majority of the time and about 4.2-4.4 GHz when I do mess around with OC'ing.

Despite this being H, times have changed in the past few years. We're no longer living in the days of HAVE to have a better HSF to keep everything cooler because of larger nanometer processes and cases with only 1 or 2 fan mounts. Also, these newer CPU's are fast enough to tackle just about anything thrown at them on stock clocks...gone are the days of deciding to get the single core and OC the piss out of it because it'll work ok, or make the jump to the newly released dual core and really see your system shine.

My advice to the OP: use the stock CPU HSF, and put the money you would be spending on an aftermarket unit towards more/better case fans. Then, down the road a ways, if you do ever decide to OC, buy that better HSF and slap it on, no system disassembly required. If you're OC'ing, you're going to need as much overall case airflow as you can get anyway, so tackle that one first.

I have had my i5-3570K for a week now, the stock heatsink and fan are not horrible. The fan is quiet, especially if controlled by BIOS/power management, and there is a copper slug in the base of the factory heatsink which will help some.

I have not OC'ed, and probably won't until there is a need, but idle temps are hanging around 30 - 32C and even while playing BF3 and Skyrim at Ultra the temps have not exceeded 47C. And that is in a SFF X-Qpack case with less than optimal airflow and low RPM/quiet fans. Unless the fan gets noisy or I decide to start OC'ing, I have no plans to change out the stock HSF.

I'm a big fan of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus and EVO.
It's well built, it works well, and it's only around $30.
While I'm sure it's no Noctua or Silver Arrow, it's a great bang for your buck cooler.

I have had my i5-3570K for a week now, the stock heatsink and fan are not horrible. The fan is quiet, especially if controlled by BIOS/power management, and there is a copper slug in the base of the factory heatsink which will help some.

I have not OC'ed, and probably won't until there is a need, but idle temps are hanging around 30 - 32C and even while playing BF3 and Skyrim at Ultra the temps have not exceeded 47C. And that is in a SFF X-Qpack case with less than optimal airflow and low RPM/quiet fans. Unless the fan gets noisy or I decide to start OC'ing, I have no plans to change out the stock HSF.

Those are good temps! I've never used the stock hsf, so I never knew or looked Hehe
I need to recycle the old stock hsf's. :)

In games, I never noticed a difference between my amd and intel, so yeah, if I kept my cpu @ stock, I still wouldn't know the difference.

I don't oc the kids/wifes comps since they run just fine for what they do. I haven't had a prob with the pushpins though.

My vote is for the zalman cnps9900 max. At idle my temps are 21-23C and under prime95 with my processor overclocked to 4.5 at 1.3v my max temp is 70c.

Those are good temps! I've never used the stock hsf, so I never knew or looked Hehe
I need to recycle the old stock hsf's. :)

In games, I never noticed a difference between my amd and intel, so yeah, if I kept my cpu @ stock, I still wouldn't know the difference.

I don't oc the kids/wifes comps since they run just fine for what they do. I haven't had a prob with the pushpins though.

Yep, I'm a little surprised at the temps. I upgraded this PC from a 65 watt TDP dual core Brisbane with a Coolermaster Vortex cooler. I was a little worried about temps, but am not seeing anything even remotely hot so far. There is a 120mm fan in the power supply and in the back of the case, and a small fan in the Radeon. We keep the house cool and this PC is in my home office in the basement. But still these are very cool temps for a shrimpy little stock HSF in an SFF case with less than optimal airflow.

The CPU is so fast nothing is really pushing it except for Blu-Ray encoding. I don't do that more than once a month or so, so no reason to OC right now.

Also, these newer CPU's are fast enough to tackle just about anything thrown at them on stock clocks...gone are the days of deciding to get the single core and OC the piss out of it because it'll work ok, or make the jump to the newly released dual core and really see your system shine.

Civ 5, and PhysX (games that use the CPU version), video encoding, & audio conversion will peg a modern CPU quite easily.

A little off topic but if you were to overclock the 3570k do you leave intels power saving step down/up feature to avoid stressing the CPU?

A little off topic but if you were to overclock the 3570k do you leave intels power saving step down/up feature to avoid stressing the CPU?

I left mine on, no need to waste power when its not needed.

It runs 1.6ghz @ 1.064 while idle.

I would buy non stock, as others have stated they hardly a premium price. My current fan cost me about £20 and its barely audible and gives me great temps. Every stock fan I have used after a year or so gets noisy. Also my non stock fan I can detach it without taking the heatsink off so can clear the dust.

Havnt noticed anything, seems to go pretty seamless.

I haven't built my rig yet but I've seen people say the option to leave intel's stepup/down feature enabled disappears when you decide to overclock the CPU. Where does it go to re-enable it or what's going on in this case?

I haven't built my rig yet but I've seen people say the option to leave intel's stepup/down feature enabled disappears when you decide to overclock the CPU. Where does it go to re-enable it or what's going on in this case?

There could be quite a few reason why people disable it when OC'n.
When they start a cpu intensive task, it crashes. Maybe not enough volts, or not enough
droop voltage, etc.

I know I didnt mess around with alot of the settings because I didnt want to cause instability. Voltage, PLL(vdroop?), and cpu multiplier. Changed the multi to keep the other settings close to stock. I havnt even messed with memory settings and from what people have said, its not worth it.

Back