What headphones to get? IceMat vs HD485

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
So..what headphones (i know the iceMats are really a headset) should I get? Siberia IceMat or Sennheiser HD485s? They are priced very similarly and will go with my onboard sound (DFI Ultra-D, Realtek ALC850 chipset).
What are they going to be used for:
1) some games
2) some music
3) some movies
generally everything...
-Thanks

I dont know about the icemats but i can tell you the HD485's are excellent.

For gaming they are very comfortable even though they dont look like it. Explosions gunshots etc. sound great.

For movies i use power DVD and they have a simulated headphone surround that sounds great with these.

As far as music they sound incredible.

So far i have 0 complaints with them and have had them for over a year. At first i was like WTF but a friend said give them time to burn in and sure enough 3 weeks later i was in love.
I took a long time to pick out my headphones because i wanted to do everything with them like you do and i dont have a fortune to spend on headphones and i had a hard time picking a pair until a local store had them on sale for $60 so i grabbed them and havnt looked back since.

I have used both pairs extensively (used to have the Icemats but picked up the 485s after an unfortunate high-velocity accident) and can say that the 485s are definitely superior.

elyrly said:
save up and get the hd595
Oh i have the money now if i want....Just that I don't really need such good headphones because..i have been satisfied with my HD202s for quite a while though ppl they they are "bad." So the HD485s should definitely be an improvement on what I have been using. Also I use integrated sound..so HD595s would be quite a waste i would think..

i lovvvveeeeeeeee my 485's, sound insane and our very comfy for the price, although dont go trveling with them , everyone gives my grief cause i look like a nerd :p , but seriously go with the 485's, the spacial sound is awesome, doesnt sound like its jamming into ure head, especially if you could upgrade to a x-fi.... seriously id buy a x-fi first then a diff pair of cans... but ure choice .... 485's are da shiz though

I'll put in a shameless plug for the Beyerdynamic DT770/80s--fantastic amounts of bass and great soundstage; it's just what you need in a good gaming can. The 80 ohm version (hence the "/80" on the end of the DT770) can be found new on ebay for $150.

Bottom line: I have a pair of DT770/80s and love them.

SysteX said:
I'll put in a shameless plug for the Beyerdynamic DT770/80s--fantastic amounts of bass and great soundstage; it's just what you need in a good gaming can.
+ they are closed, perfect LAN party cans :)

The HD-485 is fine too.

obviously the dt 770's are better if u can shell out another $100, but some of us obviously cant, so it all comes down to budget...

I am not big at all into sound. I have listened to the X-Fi Xtreme Music + Siberia IceMat on my friend's pc (to starwars and other high quality encoded stuff)..and I cannot say that I am so impressed with the X-Fi. The headphones were comfortable, but the sound that came out of the X-Fi resmbled what I heard through my Integrated audio. At least not a big enough difference for me to want to get one. Thus, the more expensive headphones be a waste of money for me...

i don't think it's the soundcard that didn't sound different. i think it's the icemat's don't perform as well, so the difference isn't as dramatic.

HD485 !!!!!!!!!! I have them, movies are great, ( I only saw Lord of the rings on it though ) , music is great ( burn them in for likr 40 hours ), and games.. well you dont have to ask.... I play CS:S with them ALL the time, and I can hear everything.

go mine for a toal of 106.50, included 1 day shipping, an a 2 uyear warrenty replacement plan from the egg

Back