What have you slaughtered

Well I just figured I start this thread...i havent seen one soo eh why not ^ ^ ..
so far ive fried and killed with various tools ^ ^...
Athlon 1.1ghz
duron 900mhz..Oo
Athlon 1.4ghz
2 sticks of pc3200 ram
Msi K7n2 delta-l
ati rage fury pro
and...eh ive also blown up so isa stuff..just because...^ ^4th of july ^ ^ sparkler bombs rule

Edit almost forgot.. INTEL pentium 133 LOL

Clickyurdead said:
and...eh ive also blown up so isa stuff..just because...^ ^4th of july ^ ^ sparkler bombs rule
good old 120 v power supplys

anyway im sorry but i have no contribution other then a cd burner(sorta drilled into the pcb accidently when making new mounting holes).. other then that i havent ever killed one pice of hardware

my packard bell died a while back... it committed suicide actually... eeprom with the boot instructions deleted itself.

it was a 402cd anyways :rolleyes: old $#!*.

i've also given my old 386's psu a heart attack once... tho it survived.

starhawk said:
my packard bell died a while back... it committed suicide actually... eeprom with the boot instructions deleted itself.

it was a 402cd anyways :rolleyes: old $#!*.

i've also given my old 386's psu a heart attack once... tho it survived.
heart attack :confused: i think you mean you gave yourself a heart attack touching the 120v leads.. and you survived

lets see....

old generic 200w power supply
MSI K7N2 Delta-L (which is back from RMA and for sale BTW)
athlon XP 2600+
athlon XP 2500+ MOBILE
3 generic CD-Rom drives
4 floppy drives (hammers are fun :D)
cracked a fan down the middle with my finger :D
DREMEL (only works at max speed now...out of warranty)

the list WILL get bigger :( :p

:LOL: but i did get a nasty shock when i accidentally shorted out two leads on my trs-80 (i was startled, it was unharmed) i was, however, unable to reproduce the effect later, upon wondering which two leads i'd shorted.

what happened with the 386 was this:

i hadn't used it in about 2 years... yup. 2 years of dust. so i went to turn it on and the psu let out the magic smoke with the classic *pouff* noise.
now there's a blown cap (i think it's a cap... it's a tantalum cap if it is a cap at all) on the mobo and it won't recognize its hdd.

i'm getting a new hdd and a copy of win3.1 so i can make it work again... i learned to program on it and am thus rather attached to it :D

Nothing recently <knock on wood>. But I do manage to smoke a CPU about once every 6-8 months or so. The dang things just up and die for no reason at all ;)

I killed a bran new Asus P3B-F, a USB mouse (really :rolleyes: , long story...), XP 2000+.

Para

I don't remember the specific PC, but it was one of the OLD ones, when the VGA Board was about 1.5 feet long! I turned it on, and I decided to touch it with a magnetic :rolleyes: (unknown to me at the time) screwdriver. Proceeded to cause sparks and the computer to shutdown...wow.

Stuck some PC___ ram into my old computer causing the Memory slot to spark, superheat, and melt on the very ends. Computer still works though :-D Though...has always been slightly sluggish since then...

I ruined a few old cd-rom drives, as well as a 48X cd burner I was trying to paint black. I don't know if this counts but my friends and I attacked some old Macs and a couple of celeron junkers with swords, then proceeded to torture them with blowtorches and finally finished them off in a gasoline computer bonfire. That was fun.
biggrin.gif
I have also intentionally smashed in the glass of an old 13" Mitsubishi CRT. It started leaking some sort of no doubt poisonous liquid, phosphorus perhaps?

a phosphorus compound most likely... pure phosphorus would burn the second it hit air.

i would love to see pictures of your computer "bash" ;) :D

450Mhz K6-2. school computer that my cisco teacher let me oc and take the heat spreader off but the HSF didn't make contact with the core so it smoked it and i ended up paying $15 shipped for a 500mhz K6-2

lol wow computer bon fire ^ ^ when i go a64 i should do that or sumthin..eh NOT im ganna keep my mobile forever just like im keepin my first proccesor..(though its quite dead) pentium 133 lol :p

starhawk said:
a phosphorus compound most likely... pure phosphorus would burn the second it hit air.

i would love to see pictures of your computer "bash" ;) :D
I think one of my friends still has a dv tape of it. I'll have to go bother him to dig it out of his room so I can post it up.

1. 350 Watt ATX Power Supply - POS decided it wanted to end itself by arcing against the wall. Made a noise like I've never heard, followed by sparks shooting out the back of the supply fan, which embedded themselves in my wallpaper. The smell was incredible. No other hardware was harmed during the shooting of this film.

2. Opteron 146. Was volt modding the motherboard to go over 1.8V on some insane watercooling exercise. Chip went to 2.42Ghz after the mod, never did find out how high it would really go. Accidentally dropped a DVM probe tip on the board, which shorted the leads of a Mosfet. It turned out that the Mosfet was the LDT regulator, so I wound up sending about six volts (!) to the memory controller of the Opty. Went out like a champion. Replaced it with an FX-51.

3. Duron 650. The little sumbitch that could. It hit 950Mhz on air-cooling, and this was in the aluminum heat sink days. After trying out about 50 different heat sinks on it, the protective coating on the core finally wore down, exposing the silicon. It sits in my living room like a trophy head.

4. NVidia GeForce 5900 Ultra 256 with 5950 Ultra BIOS Mod. Was messing around with a mini-fridge cryo-cooler. The neoprene tubing I was using to insulate the cooling lines decided to give up the ghost on me while I was on vacation. Came back, fired the box up (the neoprene split from behind, couldn't see it), and water started to condense. It dripped down the tubing, and right onto the heat sink of the 5900. Killed it plenty. It's now a $500.00 paperweight.

That's all I got.

Matt.

msi k8n neo2 platinum...

plugged 4 pin power connector in backwards. motherboard = toast. power supply survived

If you want to see some good stuff get slaughtered (and you are in the Texas Area)

Go to www.TXGF.com. We are having an overclocking competition where we use vendor supplied hardware. They are going for some 3DMark records. Should be fun.

O and there is a little LAN Party (<250) going on too.

TXGF.COM

I have recently, in the past few days...fried a cd rom drive and a cd burner.

Come to find out that my molex plug was falling apart. Although I do know what the inside of the cd rom drive looks like now and exactly which chips I fried! :rolleyes:

Celeron 600@1035, best overclocking processor i ever had, tried to use it in a motherboard with a bad voltage regulator.

Soyo 6BA, accidentally rebooted it during flash, i tried to hot swap the bios in another board to fix it but it wouldnt work.

#1 Soyo 6BA+IV, after years of running highly overclocked, it finally started to become unstable. and eventually would have problems posting.

#2 Soyo 6BA+IV, same as the other one, but i upgraded before it died completely.

Smart and Friendly 4x2x24 cdrw, this was my first burner and i made ALOT of 'backups' with it, it still burns cd's but only reads cd's about 20% of the time and has alot of read errors. the only way to use it error free is forcing it to around 4x speed.

I fried 3 athlon 3200+ a Motherbord forgot which one it was, a ATI 9800 All In Wonder a ATI 9800. All in the first time i built my first water cooling set up. I got around a few of the prices of buying some of the things but i wont go into detail :p

1 athlon xp 2400...tried to replace the heatsink and missed the GIANT blue sticker on the bottom that said, 'WARNING: REMOVE BEFORE INSTALLING'

1 k7n2 delta-L...seems like a lot of people have toasted these ;)

2 256 sticks of ocz ddr333 on said k7n2

1 dell inspirion 3800 laptop with a 500mhz celeron. apparently, the dont like being left running all day long swaddled in a comforter on a bed

asus p4c800-e mobo, not sure how i did it. but it died.
floppy drive- i was really eager to get my computer up for a lan i was going to, i had to replace the mobo ^ at the lan, i had everything installed and started up the comp but forgot the floppy. so i decided to plug in the floppy while the comp was on *yeah big boo boo, but i learned not to do it again*. i missed a pin, tons of smoke came up, computer shut off *oh shit*. funny thing is mobo and floppy drive died all in one day. later, for the replacement mobo, i needed a floppy drive.... go figure.

I have Killed a 1GHz PIII Tualatin, my first water cooling XP. The water block snapped off on side of the tabs that hold it on.

Bad Power supply killed my AMD64 3200 socket 754, now I have a 3200 Winchester 939 :D

edit: Whoops

I have killed
Duron 700 (sort of)
and MSI K7N2-L

A friend of mine had applied some ghetto water cooling to the duron (a pipe fiiting) and had attached it by automotive gooping it on. He ended up crushing about 1/10th of the core taking the cooling off. However it still works except it no longer render JPEGs properly. There are other strange problems with it but it mostly still works.

Had 2 fun slaughters...

Was working on my first server (gave it away since, was a 166MHz AMD) and had just installed slackware on it. I had it working before, but was upgrading something. I think I had re-arranged my network/setup....mind you this was actually on my dial-up network....only person I know that ever had a wireless/wired 10/100 dialup connection...anyway, so I've got my slackware server all setup, and I'm going to place my harddrive in the case (a lay down one). I left it laying out from sheer laziness, and just usually slide them in. Well, apparently the exposed bottom PCB touched ground, or something, because SPARK *poof* smooooke, then that terrible smell....first time I smelled it. Oh I was pissed too...8 gig drives are such good server-sized drives for a 'nothing big' server...still miss that drive lol. Went out and bought a 30 gig drive to replace it tho for $30 after MIR, so not too bad I guess.

Second part was my 52x24x52x (not sure about re-write speed, but I think that's it). I actually was putting it in this computer when I first set it up....it stuck out like a sore thumb being white, and my case being black. So, I tried to move it back to put the false-front on it, and the clips that hold the false-fronts on were keeping my CD-Drive from going past. So, I say "Nothing I can't fe-nangle in there.: and start to fe-nangling....drive pop-s past the clips, but in te process, yanks the face out, pulling the drive bay open. Okay, this wouldn't be a big deal usually, but I accidently left a CD in there, and has popped-out of the tray and is jammed in there. Crap. So I go to take it out to fix it, or try to, and sure enough, can't get it BACK out. Hmm....what to do. So, I had this happen once before, and I just coax-ed the drive back shut so the CD would pop back into place, the same way it popped out all willy-nilly inside there. Next ting I hear is some kind of pop-crunching, and rubber-bands going undone and what-not. Also, while doing this, I somehow cut the hell out of my finger...blood was everywhere. So, after I realised it was a total loss (disc and all), I punched the drive out of the front by a swift blow from the back, then proceeded to SMASH THE HELL out of the drive out of frustration. The only piece of viable hardware I've ever smashed, but it was screwed anyway...plus it felt REALLY good to smash it :D I recommend it to anyone at some point.

So far the only thing that I have killed is my Epox 8KRA2+ KT600 mobo when I was watercooling. I turned my chiller down a little to low and had a condensation problem on my vid card. Fried my motherboard but not the vid card .... this happened twice the first time everything worked fine afterwards.

Only other thing I fried was I used a 300 watt COMP USA powersuppy in my server I knew I shouldn't have but it was all I had since I was broke .... about 2 months later... ok i was broke for awhile we've all be there. The damn thing surged on me and killed two of my HDD... some of the chips on my seagate drive actually melted.

2x 300w PSU
XP-M 2500+
and about a dozen misc nForce2 boards (including NF7-S, A7N8X Deluxe, Chaintek Summit 7NIL1, and DFI LanParty Ultra B)

hmm what have i broke, well the last thing i did was i accidentally sent 120 volts through a motherboard (luckly i didnt hav eanyhting pluged in but it was cool as hell) and abit still rma'd it then in the past i have broken 2 2600 mbiles in half by tightening a freakin rbx WAY to tight (i finally go a shim so that dont happen anymore)

I blew up a 9800pro one time trying to do a volt mod. I had the micro trimmer set completely wrong and ended up feeding the GPU about 10 volts.

Needless to say it died instantaneously, though if it somehow worked I could probably OC it to about 6 ghz :D

Blew up a NF7 testing a volt mod with a multimeter, the probe slipped and hit a mosfet for the southbridge, the southbridge shorted or something and got so hot that the heatsink on it fell off. That pretty shade of red on the mobo under the southbridge turned brown and black.

I had an old PSU from a chieftec case blow up one day, it let out the magic blue smoke and took out everything in my PC except my HDDs and video card. FUN!! :D

One water disaster, leaky bayres dripped onto my optical drives and slowly caused malfunctions. Fixed the problem, trashed the bayres. It was a piece of junk anyways.

I'll probably think of some more later.

Crushed the core on a sweet-OCing 1700+. :(

Slipped with tweezers and cut a trace on the back of a 9800pro while putting a new fan on. Popped it in to check and every other line was blacked out, with the existing lines waving around.

here's one that my father killed... i still (to this day) have no idea how.

this was a (then rather good) tnt2 video card... pops stuck it in and the comp wouldn't boot.

inspection some 5+ years later by me and my magnifying glass revealed that the coating had been fried. i looked around and found a likely culprit: a single tracer had been sliced by less than a millimeter.

Back