• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What have I baught???

Isaacav2

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
1,487
Hi, I just baught this from Ebay, and I didn't know that there were soo many versions of Sound Blaster live.

CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER LIVE! CT4780 is what I baught.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6841677404&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

From the Creative Website above, I see that it could be just a Live, Live! 5.1, or a Live Gamer 5.1, Heck it might even be a Live! 24bit.

I am not sure whitch it is, does anyone here know by looking at the CT4780 part? thanks.

Oh, and how much of an improvement would this be over Onboard audio for gaming? thanks.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe that is the standard live! 5.1

assuming that you can take advantage of its 5.1 capabilities, this will be a tremendous improvement for any audio. even if you cant, it will still be noticably better, if you have at least decent speakers.

most notably you should get little to no crackling or hissing coming from your speakers
 
I never really noticed a difference between the realtek integrated on my NF4 board and my buddies SB Live, I have a friend who has Audigy and I can definetly hear the difference there. However, I'm also not the most sensitive person when it comes to audio :p.

and also, its "bought".
 
quietRiot said:
I believe that is the standard live! 5.1

assuming that you can take advantage of its 5.1 capabilities, this will be a tremendous improvement for any audio. even if you cant, it will still be noticably better, if you have at least decent speakers.

most notably you should get little to no crackling or hissing coming from your speakers


Thank you for your Help, I just wish that you would be able to some how confirm one or the other.

I have a decent rig, but it just studders before any audio stuff happens in HL2 or FEAR, hopefully this will smooth it out.

Sooo can anyone here verify that it is a Vanilla 5.1? thanks.
 
devman said:
I never really noticed a difference between the realtek integrated on my NF4 board and my buddies SB Live, I have a friend who has Audigy and I can definetly hear the difference there. However, I'm also not the most sensitive person when it comes to audio :p.

and also, its "bought".

:(

I'm slightly starting to get buyers remorse ...
 
Its definetly gonna be quality, dont' get me wrong, I just don't know how much of a leap (It probably will be an improvement) it is over integrated audio, but it will also take load off the CPU, since you won't have to use cycles on the onboard audio.
 
I used to own that card and it's a OEM pull (usually from Dells). It's not that great of a card, probably just as bad as onboard. It does not have hardware support for EAX, so it will not save CPU cycles for games that use it. You might want to try the kx drivers if you have problems finding drivers for it (I know I did years ago):
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

Edit: A refurbed Audigy 2 or Live! 24-bit would've probably been a better choice:
http://stores.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-Factory-Store_Sound-Blaster
 
Isaacav2 said:
I have a decent rig, but it just studders before any audio stuff happens in HL2 or FEAR, hopefully this will smooth it out.
Yup, chances are it will smooth it out a bit. You should not be hearing studders which can sometimes be commong among onboard audio.
 
strid3r said:
I used to own that card and it's a OEM pull (usually from Dells). It's not that great of a card, probably just as bad as onboard. It does not have hardware support for EAX, so it will not save CPU cycles for games that use it. You might want to try the kx drivers if you have problems finding drivers for it (I know I did years ago):
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

Edit: A refurbed Audigy 2 or Live! 24-bit would've probably been a better choice:
http://stores.ebay.com/Creative-Labs-Factory-Store_Sound-Blaster

Is 13$ (after shipping) too much to pay for the card when I could have baught a 24bit SBL from Best buy for 34$(after tax)?

ARE you serious? Probabbly just as bad as onboard? Will the card process the sound instead of the CPU? I am not an audio FREAK, I just want to be able to play my games on High Quality sound without any audio studdering. Will this card get the job done? thanks.

:(
 
Isaacav2 said:
Is 13$ (after shipping) too much to pay for the card when I could have baught a 24bit SBL from Best buy for 34$(after tax)?

ARE you serious? Probabbly just as bad as onboard? Will the card process the sound instead of the CPU? I am not an audio FREAK, I just want to be able to play my games on High Quality sound without any audio studdering. Will this card get the job done? thanks.

:(

I'd say it was too much, considering you can get better cards for just a little bit more. It sounds like you want game compatibility (hardware support for EAX) on a budget, so you'd probably want something from the Audigy series. I recommend checking out Creative's eBay store that I linked to above for some good deals. ($35 for a Audigy 2 before shipping, and there's a auction open for a Audigy 1 right now at under $6.)
 
Back
Top