what has more video power: ATi 2600 HD or nVidia 8600m GT?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
The 17" Macbook Pro has the 8600m GT and the 24" iMac has the ATi 2600HD video card and I was wondering which would be better for gaming?

I wish my 17" had a 8600 GTM... damn crappy x1600 and core duo...=(
But really I would believe the 8600 GT would be more powerful in the sense of gaming compared to the 2600HD because well... look around the video card forum and everyone will swear by Nvidia for this generation of video cards.
And if you didn't get the ultra high res screen for your laptop the 8600 GT wouldn't be as stressed as the 2600HD if you ran your games at the screen's native resolution, seeing as how by default ordering your laptop comes with 1680 x 1050 res., whilst the 24 inch comes with 1920 x 1200.... that is if you run your games at the screen's native res.
But honestly BOTH computers are more than capable for running video games because of the relatively powerful processors, 2 gigs default in the amount of memory, and CURRENT GENERATION mid-range video cards.
If you have both... you should be happy... and I hate you... =)

8600 GT would be more powerful in the sense of gaming compared to the 2600HD because well... look around the video card forum and everyone will swear by Nvidia for this generation of video cards.

Everyone swears by NVIDIA for high end maybe,m the mid range cards are very powerful and comparable to NVIDIA's line up and have a ton of features for thing like onc ard decoding, coding et cetera, something nvidia often over looks.... now i am not completly sure of the mobile line up, but the desktop versions are holding their own.

what will you want to do, gaming, or video- HD such ?

P.S - I will hate you too :)

Back