• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What Hard Drives for Netfinity 5500 Server?

Da Fan Man

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 20, 2001
Messages
1,671
Hey all,

I recently picked up a Netfinity 5500 server (well havent received it yet but its coming) and I wanted to see if anyone here knows off hand what type of hard drives it will accept? I Know it uses SCSI drives, and think it came with hot swap drives orignally. It has 6 drive caddys in the front.

I don't have a whole lot of information on the unit, know its a quad p3 xeon machine w/ 4gb Ram but not much beyond that.

Just looking to find out what type of SCSI drives will work and if anyone has any reccomendations, if I can get them cheap enough I would like to put in 6 x 18 or 36gb 10k RPM Drives, I dont NEED hotswap capability so if it will work w/o hotswap drives I could probably save some money there.

Thanks
-Matt
 
Guessing based on the age that it will either have an Ultra2 HBA or perhaps an early U160 HBA. With trays and a backplane like you'll have, you need to get 80-pin drives. Good news is that they typically are about $10 cheaper than the same model in 68-pin :)
E-bay is where I would hit. Stay away from FS/T, never any good SCSI deals there...... :p
Just kidding, often times there are great deals on SCSI drives for sale around here, but I'm greedy and want them all for mysellllfffff if I can turn a profit on them :D
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=1641356&enterthread=y
You could pick up those HP 18gb drives, and I bet you could get them for $100 if you bartered with the guy a bit. Quantum/Maxtor Atlas 10K IIs and IIIs go for about $20 in 18gb capacity on e-bay, and a little less than double for 36gb models. Seagate drives of the same generation tend to be more expensive used than other brands.
 
Thanks for the info,

I should have the server Tomorrow or Monday then I can figure out if its Ultra2 or U160 - I think its probably going to be Ultra2. Was hoping to order some drives before I got the server but may as well wait and be sure I am getting drives that will work with it.

-Matt :cool:
 
Back
Top