what happens when

MYPEARL

Limp Gawd
you take an older machine with a
"Intel Celeron 1.8GHz 478-pin 128K 400MHz CPU OEM"
and replace it with a
"Intel Pentium 4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB 512K Socket 478 CPU OEM"

both are 478 so it will fit but does it work? will the computer turn on? will the mobo puke on me? Ive always matched apples to apples, this is a apple to oranges and im not sure if its safe.

thanks in advance.

you take an older machine with a
"Intel Celeron 1.8GHz 478-pin 128K 400MHz CPU OEM"
and replace it with a
"Intel Pentium 4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB 512K Socket 478 CPU OEM"

both are 478 so it will fit but does it work? will the computer turn on? will the mobo puke on me? Ive always matched apples to apples, this is a apple to oranges and im not sure if its safe.

thanks in advance.

If you motherboard support it. Why not?

That's the important part, do the motherboard and chipset support it?

right but wouldnt it be underclocked at that point if its not supported? it would work but at the motherboards limits correct?

here i just found what i was looking for HERE so my question to you is will my "Intel Pentium 4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB 512K Socket 478 CPU OEM" work?

here i just found what i was looking for HERE so my question to you is will my "Intel Pentium 4 Pentium 4 2.4GHz 533MHz FSB 512K Socket 478 CPU OEM" work?

That chipset only supports 400 MHz FSB processors, so it'd be a questionable proposition to begin with if it would work but at a lower speed (around 1.8 GHz). Add in that big OEM's (especially Dell) are notoriously finnicky about locking down their systems to minimize what upgrades are allowable, especially if they don't sell it, and wouldn't dare come out with a BIOS update to allow "newer" parts that technically should work, and I'd say the chances of this upgrade working are slim at best.

Back