What Happens When You Water Cool an Air Cooler?

hmmm, yeah so it was more of a "fun" thing but not practical imo. I recall my peltier setup condensation issues

I like those Dark Rock Pro coolers but worried about having all that metal hanging off the PCB that a sudden case move might damage stuff so I use a Be Quiet slim or something.

The experiment are interesting is as far as are a heat pipe cooler better at moving heat from the CPU contact surface than a conventional water cooling herd are, if it is, then i assume you could combine the 2 for a better performing system.
Heat pipe to rip heat off cpu and transfer it to a larger surface where water will take it to the radiator to be dissipated into air.
Just hoping it can be done with a much smaller fin stack than a full blown heat pipe cooler.

Exactly. Vapor phase heat transfer is extremely good and we need as much help getting heat out of the small chip area as possible. The heat pipes in a 212 probably aren't optimized for running 44C to 10C, but 65C to 55C or so, so there's (relatively) low hanging fruit there. Even with liquid-liquid exchange, you still want big surface area if you can afford it, as that lowers the flow demands (quieter, lower pressure in the cooling loop).

I've wondered why vapor phase heat spreaders aren't more common on water cooling blocks. It can all be done with copper, and it's not like dozens of other industries haven't figured out how to manage galvanic reactions/corrosion.

Back