What happens when you beat Oblivion?

Moose777

2[H]4U
I'm asking because I haven't done any of the main quest at all. The main reason being is that I'm under the impression the game will end like every other game.

You know the type. Kill the boss character....roll credits....main menu.

I'm afraid that if I do the main quest that, that will be it. No more. I won't be able to explore anymore, do side quests. I've completely bypassed Kvatch and haven't even gone to see the king's son because I'm afraid once I start closing Oblivion Gates and I beat the main quest that I'll get an end movie, game credits and dumped to the main menu.

Please tell me that isn't the case and that I will still be able to do what I want to do even after completing the main quest.

So, what say you?

You can do whatever you want to after completeing the main quest except enter the oblivion gates (as far as I know, havent tried to enter one since I completed the main quest, but they all look to be closed).

I personally focussed solely on finishing the main quest and now I'm doing all the side missions. Closing gates to hell seemed more urgent.

Only thing I didnt like was ::slight spoiler:: Your bounty gets automatically pardoned at the end, I was trying to see how high I could get it (had it at 188,725 when it got pardoned).

You get armor for saving humanity? Man, some of these rewards you get for doing things for people hardly seem worth it. Like everytime you have to go do a dungeon crawl and when you finish you get $100 gold pieces. I get more satisfaction bashing their head in with my shoe.

So again, armor for closing a dozen or so doorways to hell? Screw that, let the races of Cyrodiil die. ;)

How many gates are there really? And if I can still explore and stuff after doing the main quest I'm going to stop doing all the side quests now and concentrate on the main quest so that I can do the side quests later and have a reason to continue playing the game.

yeah... i wanna know the # of gates?

I might restart the game..with diff skills and such (beat dark brotherhood quests...now feel a little too powerful)

what sorta armor do you get? how good is it (option of light / heavy?)

pilotace001 said:
yeah... i wanna know the # of gates?

How many gates are there? LOTS.

How many gates do you have to do for the main quest? TWO. The one near the beginning and the one at the end.

My advice on gates:

1. If you like enchanting your own items, you get the strongest affects with the most charges from gate sigil stones. You can't pick what it does, but if it happens to do what you want, it'll do it much better than you can enchant with a soul stone.

2. When doing gates, you don't have to kill every mob between you and the sigil stone. Matter of fact, you don't have to kill ANY of them. I've run gates in the less than 10 minutes when it is one of the shorter layouts. Just run and grab the sigil stone, avoiding the fights.

Other than the sigil stone there just isn't any other compelling reason to do the optional gates, imho.

Want cash? Kill vampires instead. Same weapons, much easier to kill, and located in dungeons you can return to if you have to pile the heavy stuff up for multiple trips.

Want daedric armor/weapons? Kill vampires. Not only do they have it, they have more of it since all of them are humanoid.

Want alchemy ingredients from oblivion flora and/or fauna? Buy it from the alchemy shops.

pilotace001 said:
what sorta armor do you get? how good is it (option of light / heavy?)

heavy armor, with mostly magic/elemental resistances. In other words, crap.

eastvillager said:
How many gates are there? LOTS.

How many gates do you have to do for the main quest? TWO. The one near the beginning and the one at the end.

My advice on gates:

1. If you like enchanting your own items, you get the strongest affects with the most charges from gate sigil stones. You can't pick what it does, but if it happens to do what you want, it'll do it much better than you can enchant with a soul stone.

2. When doing gates, you don't have to kill every mob between you and the sigil stone. Matter of fact, you don't have to kill ANY of them. I've run gates in the less than 10 minutes when it is one of the shorter layouts. Just run and grab the sigil stone, avoiding the fights.

Other than the sigil stone there just isn't any other compelling reason to do the optional gates, imho.

Want cash? Kill vampires instead. Same weapons, much easier to kill, and located in dungeons you can return to if you have to pile the heavy stuff up for multiple trips.

Want daedric armor/weapons? Kill vampires. Not only do they have it, they have more of it since all of them are humanoid.

Want alchemy ingredients from oblivion flora and/or fauna? Buy it from the alchemy shops.

Where are some guarnateed places to find vampires?

How often do they respawn?

I like getting sigil stones for their magic. You can make some great enchanted weapons/armor with them.
The higher your level when you retrieve a stone the more powerful it is.

eastvillager said:

On that last one I thought you were going to say kill vampires.

I've been turned into a vampire. From the Dark Brotherhood. I've slept a total of 4 nights since being turned into a vampire. Nothing has happened. I don't even know how to feed or when I'm supposed to feed.

And I finally did the first Oblivion gate in the main quest. Got my ass handed to me several times. I managed to close it but damn, what a PITA. Makes me want to just go and complete the main quest so I can go back to do ing all of the fun stuff. The whole Oblivion gate thing is freakin' boring.

If you're 50 points (or over) vampire then the sun will hurt you, which means you're constantly taking damage outside and can't fast travel.

To feed, just sneak up to someone that's sleeping, as if you were going to pickpocket them. You'll get the option to feed on them then.

eastvillager said:
heavy armor, with mostly magic/elemental resistances. In other words, crap.

If you're more skilled with light armor, you get light armor. (And yeah, it's not very good) Looks nice though.

koneko said:
If you're 50 points (or over) vampire then the sun will hurt you, which means you're constantly taking damage outside and can't fast travel.

To feed, just sneak up to someone that's sleeping, as if you were going to pickpocket them. You'll get the option to feed on them then.
Is there any benefit to feeding? Cause I never eat food. Well rarely. I've drank the Surille Brotehrs Wine like a fish though. I've wanted to see if my character could get drunk. The answer to that question is a resounding. No.

Moose777 said:
Is there any benefit to feeding? Cause I never eat food. Well rarely. I've drank the Surille Brotehrs Wine like a fish though. I've wanted to see if my character could get drunk. The answer to that question is a resounding. No.

Now he can!

Anyone know where I can get these 2 bottles of SHADOWBASH wine checked out.
I have had these things for the whole game and I have yet to talk to anyone who can do something with them.
I have yet to drink them because it says it's valuable and rare.
But I am loosing my intrest in finding out where they belong.

Majin said:
Anyone know where I can get these 2 bottles of SHADOWBASH wine checked out.

Off Topic, but I presume you mean shadowbanish wine? That you found in a fort? There's a girl at an Inn, I think at the end of the bridge from Imperial City, that has a quest to find 6 bottle of the stuff from old forts. So far I've only found two, out of a dozen or so forts.

On Topic, I avoided the main quest for quite a while before my curiosity got the better of me. So far I've been though about 6 Oblivion gates, and yeah, they're pretty boring. The sigil stones are good though.

Moose777 said:
I'm asking because I haven't done any of the main quest at all. The main reason being is that I'm under the impression the game will end like every other game.

You know the type. Kill the boss character....roll credits....main menu.

I'm afraid that if I do the main quest that, that will be it. No more. I won't be able to explore anymore, do side quests. I've completely bypassed Kvatch and haven't even gone to see the king's son because I'm afraid once I start closing Oblivion Gates and I beat the main quest that I'll get an end movie, game credits and dumped to the main menu.

Please tell me that isn't the case and that I will still be able to do what I want to do even after completing the main quest.

So, what say you?

Your Character gets interviewed and you say "I'm going to Disney World"!

I fear to do the Main Quest because I'm afraid of what long-term effects it'll have on Cyrodill. I don't want any destroyed towns or dead people, etc.

Nothing happens. That I've seen anyway when a gate appears outside of a town. I find the oblivion gates boring. As I stated erlier.

When I do dungeon crawls I sneak around so not to be seen. When I go into Oblivion I summon the biggest baddest creature I have; usually a Deadra or Spider Daedra and let them do my fighting. Then I go in balls to the wall and hack everything to pieces. Then I close the gate.

qustion:
1. do your summons level up with you?
2. what enemy(s) have high-er-est soultrap value (to use in my azura star/ +enchant), best I found so far was only 1200.
little off-topic, but oblivion related...
thanks

I carry around a multitude of soul stones but have absolutely no idea how to use them.

HaVoC said:
----Spoiler-----

you get some armor :\

You just about summed it up. The last boss is the biggest let down then they just walk up and say "come back in two weeks and you can have some nice armour" and thats it. You just wander round doing pointless, storiless missions for randoms till you realise your wasting your time.

Its not worth it, the game isnt worth it, the final battle was the most dissapointing thing ive seen in any game ive finished(no honestly, dagoth ur was better then watching the fucking ugly ass dragon pussy slap mehgun dagon or whoever the fuck it was)

and yea you get weak ass armor without a shield, that sums it up

Back