What happens to the existing stock of Turing cards?

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
I am wondering what happens to them? Do the AIBs take them back from Newegg or Amazon when Ampere cards are in stock? Or do they get sold at massive discount to liquidators and show up on eBay?

Reactions: x509
like this
I am wondering what happens to them? Do the AIBs take them back from Newegg or Amazon when Ampere cards are in stock? Or do they get sold at massive discount to liquidators and show up on eBay?
Neither. Nvidia quits making them months before the launch of new cards and inventory always peters out. Nvidia isn’t new to this.

If you look at nowinstock.net there are basically no new Turing cards left for sale. There has been a decreasing supply of Turing cards for the last 3 months or so in retail channels. That’s also why you never see Nvidia cards on close out deals. They don’t lower the price outside of competition and they largely sell them all when they stop production of old models and move to production of new models.

I suspect Nvidia would destroy them before they would consider unloading them at discount prices and rocking their typical supply chains.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080ti/

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx2080/

Last edited:
Interesting. I never thought of using nowinstock to check. I actually thought there are still plenty of 2080 ti or the 2080 Super given the high cost of the ti.

There was that last inventory push around July when they were giving away Death Stranding codes with DLSS as the killer feature.

No one would want a massive return spike, so I believe by mid/end July Turing was done.

They go to the glue factory or get made into dog food.

I suspect Nvidia would destroy them before they would consider unloading them at discount prices and rocking their typical supply chains.

They actually delayed the release of turing 6-8 months due to the massive overstock of 10 series gpus in the pipeline during the great crypto crash that followed the (short but substantial) crypto boom.

They sit in retail purgatory until they're written off as obsolete loss.
Hopefully a sales rep exchanges them.

Maybe you get a write down from manufacturer of distributor to help move inventory or smooth out loss if they ram a bunch more inventory at you at a significant discount or extended payment terms.

Some inventory designated as warranty replacement should be NIB, but we have all experienced or heard of whatever was in a pile was shipped horror stories.

EVGA was notably swapping defective 20x0 with Super, I thought that was cool.

Just get dont caught in a lurch if you are a retailer, it sucks.

Back