What happened to the Nano?

Lazn_Work

Supreme [H]ardness
So almost a year ago the Nano hit the reviews to large acclaim..

But you still can't buy it! Anyone hear any news on it?

Nothing so far. I vote for it to win the Vaporware award for 2008.

In the meantime, the dual core Atom is already available here.

I have wondered where it is too. It is supposedly won all these design awards but you still can't buy it after it was announced for availability in the Spring.

I can't wait to see more of this as well. I'd love to get my hands on one of these puppies :)

Alas, neither google nor wikipedia are telling me that they're available anywhere after their 'launch' in May this year :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_Nano

there is no nano processor. its just smoke to hold people off from buying intel :p

Still, the CPU is real enough :( Weird to see reviews everywhere, but not a board (or CPU) for sale...

Lets just completely ignore the thread I made a while back pronouncing(though a bit prematurely) the arrival of a new VIA motherboard. I mean, even though we are obviously anxious about these new processors, there is absolutely no reason why we should investigate this thread, since it cannot possibly be related.:rolleyes:

Anyway, setting that aside, I would love to see some reviews of this new board/processor combination. So far I haven't seen much about this yet, aside from a few sites announcing it's arrival, then paraphrasing and linking to the board's page on the VIA site.

And since they're 64-bit capable, they'll have lots of headroom when we pack those powerful video cards in them and start folding. :cool:
Edit: Oh, let's not mention the Intel Atom boards' ban of PCI Express slots and the resulting complete incapability to fold. :eek:

I'd love to pick one up straightaway but for practical purposes I will be holding off until the end of the upcoming summer. I wonder what the state of tech will be in half a year...

Lets just completely ignore the thread I made a while back pronouncing(though a bit prematurely) the arrival of a new VIA motherboard. I mean, even though we are obviously anxious about these new processors, there is absolutely no reason why we should investigate this thread, since it cannot possibly be related.:rolleyes:
Okay, let's put it this way: I can't find a Nano CPU or board here in Europe so far. Cheap as the dollar may be, I still prefer to get my hardware locally due to warranty issues and such :)

Anyway, setting that aside, I would love to see some reviews of this new board/processor combination. So far I haven't seen much about this yet, aside from a few sites announcing it's arrival, then paraphrasing and linking to the board's page on the VIA site.
That's what I thought was odd too, with only reviews of the Nano in old Epia boards and such. None of my sources (tech blogs and such) have even mentioned the availability of Nano boards.

And since they're 64-bit capable, they'll have lots of headroom when we pack those powerful video cards in them and start folding. :cool:
Edit: Oh, let's not mention the Intel Atom boards' ban of PCI Express slots and the resulting complete incapability to fold. :eek:
Yeah, the PCI slot on Atom boards is just... I don't know... retarded? :) At least the Nano systems can be pepped up with a nice PCIe GPU or proper capturing card. PCI is so... 90s :p

Thank you for that link :) it's good to know that these boards are being sold somewhere in the EU.

More than the lack of PCIe I'm disappointed by the shortage of headers on all of the atom/via board. a $100ish mobo with a low power CPU'd be great for a DIY NAS but only having 2 sata ports is a rather large suckage for that purpose.

More than the lack of PCIe I'm disappointed by the shortage of headers on all of the atom/via board. a $100ish mobo with a low power CPU'd be great for a DIY NAS but only having 2 sata ports is a rather large suckage for that purpose.

At least the x16 slot of the Nano board will allow you to add a really nice RAID card :)

At least the x16 slot of the Nano board will allow you to add a really nice RAID card :)
If you get an Advansus iQ965-CI board, it has a PCIe x16 slot and will support quad core Intel processors. There is also the Commell LV-674 board. It would make quite a file server. It doesn't have support for quad core processors (still has Core 2 Duo support however), but it has a PCIe x16 slot and quad gigabit NICs. Bloody expensive though.

There are other boards with support for greater amounts of SATA storage. I expect that if this Nano board is met with success, the Nano CPU will start seeing usage in a wider variety of mini boards like the C7 does.

If you get an Advansus iQ965-CI board, it has a PCIe x16 slot and will support quad core Intel processors. There is also the Commell LV-674 board. It would make quite a file server. It doesn't have support for quad core processors (still has Core 2 Duo support however), but it has a PCIe x16 slot and quad gigabit NICs. Bloody expensive though.
Same deal with MSI's IM-Q35.

That seems even better to be honest. I didn't like the Advansus iQ965-CI board due to the older chipset and only 2 SATA ports as I would be more interested in a mITX workstation than file server. The J&W MINIX 780G-SP128MB looks good too.

That seems even better to be honest. I didn't like the Advansus iQ965-CI board due to the older chipset and only 2 SATA ports as I would be more interested in a mITX workstation than file server. The J&W MINIX 780G-SP128MB looks good too.
I was torn between the MSI and the Minix a few months ago. Here's what it basically broke down to for me.
Points for the Minix:
1) Onboard video is top-notch. Handles 1080p content with a low-end processor (x2 3800 is fine with the right codecs).
2) Extremely low power.

Points against the Minix:
1) The CPU socket is extremely cramped. A Scythe Shuriken would block one of the SODIMM slots. A GeminII interferes with the northbridge cooler.
2) Only supports up to 95W processors, and extra PWM cooling required for that. Otherwise, 65W only.
3) It only has one expansion slot. You have to choose: video card, RAID controller, or wireless.
3a) The one slot is PCIe x4 electrically, not x16.
4) Onboard RAID is 0/1/0+1, no RAID5.

Points for the MSI:
1) Superior RAID options
2) More potential (Intel Quad, full x16 bandwidth for high-end graphics)
3) Mini-PCIe
3a) Intel Wifi beats anything else IMO
4) Flexible cooling options

Points against the MSI:
1) Onboard video is inferior
2) Chipset draws more power, and few low-power processors available.
3) Compatibility with RAID controllers (no Perc5, for example).

In brief, I wouldn't get the Minix for a performance system.

I ended up choosing an always-on desktop and HTPC, so I got the Minix. With an X2 3800, it handles ANY video playback, right up to 1080p. And with an undervolted 4x50e/5050e, it'll even take on the Nano.

Thought about doing something similar, too loud for my taste. (Page is taking forever to load.)

My last gaming rig ended up with a Sugo2, a GeminII, a Q9300 and a large PSU fan cooling everything. Dead silent, except that it was packed so tight the hard drive made the whole case vibrate. :)
More importantly, I wasn't comfortable carrying around my main storage array. Just in case someone knocked my case off a desk, or I simply dropped it between LAN parties, I decided I'd rather separate my games and my files.

Now I have three systems:
Antec Aria, my file server.
The Minix HTPC/desktop. 60W fully loaded, completely fanless with the right PSU.
My gaming rig. e7300, Radeon 4670 in a picoBTX case. Small, light, powerful enough for UT3 at 1920x1200- what more do I need?
I'm pretty sure that all three of my systems, TOGETHER, could fit inside of one Lian Li v1000 or mini-P180. :)

Well, currently most of my computers are fairly large. Desktop uses a a P180. One server is a Lian Li V2100. Another a Stacker 810. HTPC uses an Antec Fusion. I want something small for once, but I don't want to give up too much feature wise. Loud doesn't bother me much either. My quad Opteron server isn't exactly quiet and it is in my bedroom.

Well, currently most of my computers are fairly large. Desktop uses a a P180. One server is a Lian Li V2100. Another a Stacker 810. HTPC uses an Antec Fusion. I want something small for once, but I don't want to give up too much feature wise. Loud doesn't bother me much either. My quad Opteron server isn't exactly quiet and it is in my bedroom.
Ah, you and I have traded places. I still have my V2100 in the attic, the last relic from my old powerhouses. :)

But we digress- this thread is about the Nano.

And I have to say that I'm not impressed. A 4850e underclocked/undervolted at 2GHz could probably come close to their 25w TDP, and blow the doors right off in usage.

And I have to say that I'm not impressed. A 4850e underclocked/undervolted at 2GHz could probably come close to their 25w TDP, and blow the doors right off in usage.

At which point we should start looking at the power usage of other components, like the chipset :)

*giggles at Intel combining the Atom's 4 Watt TDP with a 30+ Watt chipset*

At which point we should start looking at the power usage of other components, like the chipset :)

*giggles at Intel combining the Atom's 4 Watt TDP with a 30+ Watt chipset*

no kidding, I just don't know why Intel is shooting itself in the foot like that.

no kidding, I just don't know why Intel is shooting itself in the foot like that.

To me it sounds like a classic case of marketing over engineering. Something like this:

- Intel Engineer: We just finished the new Atom CPU! 4 Watt TDP and runs everything!
- Intel Marketing Goon: Great, we'll release it next month.
- IE: But we don't have a suitable chipset for it yet...
- IMG: Who cares about a chipset? Nobody.
- IE: But the best chipset we have is old and sucks juice compared to the Atom...
- IMG: And?
- IE: *starts thinking about switching careers*

:p

Didn't Intel already HAVE the chipset though?
As far as I know, the US15 low-voltage chipsets have been on embedded boards for a long time.
It seems like they wanted to clean out old 945 stock first, using the Atom as an excuse. So all non-embedded boards got 945s.
Indeed, it ruined the reputation of the Atom as a low-power platform, and it's probably because of marketing decisions.

Yeah, cleaning out stock is one thing, ruining the image of a brand-new chip is another :(

They should have used the 945 stock for some low-end Celeron boxes or so...

Or even just offer two options at different price points on the desktop side like they did for mobile systems. OTOH given that the new superlow power atom chipset been as MIA as the lower TDP sub 1.6ghz chips themselves...

Or even just offer two options at different price points on the desktop side like they did for mobile systems. OTOH given that the new superlow power atom chipset been as MIA as the lower TDP sub 1.6ghz chips themselves...
No, it's been used in all current Netbooks, as well as MSI's 945GSE nettop board. Unfortunately, I've yet to see if it supports a dual-core Atom. Now that'd be sweet!

Unfortunately, I've yet to see if it supports a dual-core Atom. Now that'd be sweet!

I think that's pretty likely, for two reasons. First of all, it already supports dual-core CPUs, and secondly, it would be a lot easier for Intel since they wouldn't need a whole new chipset just to support the dual-core models.

Newegg has a Nano board. It's the JetWay JNF77-N1G6-LF, which has a 1.6Ghz VIA Nano processor.

This page on JetWay's site (under "Available Model") lists the NF77-N1G6-LF as having a "VIA Nano L2200 @ 17W".

But with no PCI-E and at that price.. the 330 dual core Atom board is less than half that and probably better for most things. But good to see it finally available.

Yeah, I saw that too. Hopefully the other manufacturers won't do the same.

No, it's been used in all current Netbooks, as well as MSI's 945GSE nettop board. Unfortunately, I've yet to see if it supports a dual-core Atom. Now that'd be sweet!
i think intel said oems couldnt use the dual core atom for nettops, something about it being for desktop/nettop only, and also be because the atoms in netbooks are 2.5w tdp when the dual core atom is 8w.

maybe intel has the mobile version dual core in the works?

i will tell what happened but you will never believe me INTEL is what happened and their anti competitive practices

Back