What happened to the money market financial thread?

JediFonger

2[H]4U
i can't find it in search. we used to have a thread where people pointed out which bank/financial entity had the best interest rates.

if it doesn't exist, perhaps this can be one =P.

i have $3k in paypal money market currently @~2.5%. i KNOW there's better deals out there. can som1 enlighten me? i can't do CD's cause i need instant access to my rainy day fund in case o' emergencies.

LOL@ keeping your money in a paypal account? That's a huge liability especially if you use that account for business or online transactions. How about a WAMU online savings account @ approx. 3.5% APY. Or charter bank co with 6.01% APY, though you have to make 10 debit transactions a month, 1 ACH transfer/debit/direct deposit, log-in to your online account, and enroll in online e-statement delivery .

LOL@ keeping your money in a paypal account? That's a huge liability especially if you use that account for business or online transactions. How about a WAMU online savings account @ approx. 3.5% APY. Or charter bank co with 6.01% APY, though you have to make 10 debit transactions a month, 1 ACH transfer/debit/direct deposit, log-in to your online account, and enroll in online e-statement delivery .

Where are the 6% monthly yielding accounts ?:(

bankrate.com

^^very good resource.....also, I might recommend ING online....current rate is 3.00....

/Twerd.

No way in hell I'd leave my money to PayPal. Bunch of cowering thieves.

Great thread. I use citi ultimate savings account. Use to yeild a high percentage but has since gone down to very little < 2%.

No way in hell I'd leave my money to PayPal. Bunch of cowering thieves.

Yes, never and I mean never leave a large amount of money with paypal. They will strike you like a bunch of thieves at a corner store...I always keep >50 in my paypal account. Nothing more.

PS what's the most reliable? i have seen those ING direct commercials. r they good? i used to have an etrade account... maybe i could use that as well =P.

GMAC, IngDirect, both FDIC insured. They're roughly about as 'safe' as you're going to get, so long as it's under $100K for individual accounts.

I have both. Had ING first, then moved most of it over to GMAC when they were around 5.35%.

ING Direct works pretty well. They hold funds for 5 days once deposited, so you can't get it back out in a hurry if needed, they also take 2 days to transfer the funds back to your linked account. They are free transfers, but you don't have immediate access to your funds. ING Direct was also offering a $25.00 account opening bonus when I opened my account, and I know I can refer folks and get a referral credit, but I'm not sure if that promotion is still valid.

HSBC Direct has been running tons of tv commercials advertising 3.50% APY through 9/15/2008, and it seems they offer an ATM card, but I have no direct experience with them.

thanks for that =D. loox like hsbc is also fdic.

what happens after 9/15? looks like it goes back to 3 according ot the fine prints.

well i just pulled the funds away from paypal right now, so any1 have any strong preference one way or another? i'd like to keep as few corporations knowing my SSN as possible ya know. yeah yeah yeah i know about 128bit ssl blah blah blah, but just common sense =P

ING Direct has worked for me, but go where you are FDIC insured and get the highest rate - that seems to be HSBC at the moment. The 3.5% was originally set to expire 8/15 and they extended it to 9/15, so maybe they'll keep extending it.

i just went with HSBC. so far everything went through very smoothly except i never got asked to create a username/password... so they have my money or is in the process of electronically transferring, just no login yet =P hahahah. i hope i get one soon =P

just found out they'll be sending me login and pw in the snail mail... so... =P.

PS this is my style ;).

i finished it! =D. my first money market outside of paypal =P. 10x for all the advice, wasn't as painful as i thought it was going to be =P.

i even got an atm card, which i dont need but it's good to have! =).

any1 done CD's?

Back