what happened to my cpu

tony8404

Weaksauce
Well, i just bought a new amd 64bit x2 3800 939 cpu chip. got the pc running decided to oc it. wasnt doing bad. i was able to get up to 2.8.... then it locked up so i went back into bios and lowered the settings. now the cpu wont oc at all... i cannot go up to 2.8, 2.7, 2.6 i have not tried 2.5 got tired last night and decided to wait to ask here...

i just wanna know if i messed the chip up or fried it or what is going on or what do i have to do ? thanks

well, i turned off the pc and removed the cmos battery to clear it and i am able to start the pc back up again.. so i know the cpu works but even though i can get back started up i still cannot over clock now.. this is my first dual core processor so i do not know maybe if i blew out one core and the other is the only one working .... its just weird i was able to oc but now i am not able to ...

maybe its cause i took out some memory... i dont have the greatest memory... i have 1gig of pc3200 pny, 1gig pc3200 ultra, i also have two 512 pc3200 samsung , and have 2 ocz 256 pc2700..

i just used the 2 1 gig chips plus the two ocz chips and i was able to go to 2.8 oc

i took out the 2 ocz chips cause it said my memory was at 266mhz and i didnt like that cause without those two chips my two 1 gig chips go 400mhz.. but now that i just have the two 1 gig chips in i cannot oc... i will put back my original setup of the two 1 gig chips and the two 512 samsung ... that way i can get 3 gig, dual channel 128bit, 400mhz.. i was just trying the two 1 gig chips to see if i was able to oc more but guess not..

Have you tried setting your RAM divider to 1:2 and see if you can OC?

If the RAM was running at around 266mhz and you could OC, and now it's at 400mhz and you can't... Well...

no before i was able to oc at 266 and 400 but now i cannot since i just left my two 1 gig memory chips... but before i was able to oc with any other combo of my memory but if just oc with two 1 gig chips it wont oc... i just noticed this right now i and i cannot see if that is the problem till tonight when i get home... so till then is there anything else i can think to try????

Last night i got home and still not able to over clock my amd x2 3800... i was able to the other night... i got up to 2.8 mhz.. i tried different memory configurations.. the only thing i have not tried is clearing cmos and leave the memory at default and just change the cpu settings to see if i can oc that way maybe my memory settings are off

Back