What happened to DDR3 prices?

Viral

n00b
I'm a bit confused. In June I bought 12 gigs of triple channel DDR3 RAM (1600 Mhz, 7-7-7-20) for $180. Now 6 gb would cost as much?

I don't get it

I came here reading all the threads and was wondering why nobody chose these particular sticks before I noticed the price jumped up to $150. Is it because the x58 platform is becoming more popular now and demand is higher? Did I just happen to buy the sticks in a pricing sweet spot?

This is me, hoping prices come back down soon when 4gb sticks are released (hopefully earlier. I want another computer)

Supply and demand man. Since the release/news of the maintstream Core i5 series CPU, everyone has been rushing towards that for their new builds. In addition, there was the fact that DDR2 RAM prices began rising like crazy to the point where going with a DDR3 RAM setup was only gonna cost an additional $20 to $30 and so made more sense to do so. And finally, as you said, the X58 chipset has garnered a huge demand and therefore huge demand for DDR3 RAM.

But yeah, DDR3 RAM prices have gone up. Same goes for DDR2 RAM.

Months ago it was just a handful of people buying DDR3 RAM for their i7/some AM3 systems, now that AM3 and i5 are really popular, DDR3 demand has skyrocketed and prices have followed.

You'll have to wait for supply to catch up with the DDR3 demand before things settle down again :)

It still seems really cheap to me. When I built my current C2D system a few years ago 2GB DDR2 was 299.99. With my new build I can get 8GB DDR3 for a bit more than half that.

DDR2 is up like mad, too.

I bought 8GB of OCZ DDR2-800 in April for $89.99. The same part right now is $154.99 on Newegg today.

Due to the i5/1156 platform, DDR3 prices have gone up. An increase in demand drives up the price while the supply remains relatively inelastic.

The bigger question is when is everyone going to quit saying the same thing? ;)

Unless there is a stack of ram sitting at a factory to flood the market the price is not going down for quite a while (Febryuary or later).

Remember a weak dollar doesn't buy as much product coming out of Asia.

The dollar is sucking right now... I remember buying 1GB DDR2-667 sticks from the local Micro Center for $10 and now it is around $16. Oh well.

Memoryprice.jpg
Memoryprice2.jpg

I can't believe how much the price of DDR2 jumped up.

That Gskill price increase is nuts, boy am I glad I just snagged four 2gb sticks off the forum for $100.

Corsair Dominator that I paid $169 for (3x2GB DDR3), is now $219 at Newegg! I bought mine in June.

I'm glad others have noticed the price hikes. It is ridiculous.

seems like you will need to get a 2nd job to afford ram prices now.

I was just about to order another 4gb, but wanted to get 2x4gb so I can bring my ram up to 12gb. Then I saw the prices and had to clean my monitor...... It is almost 200% of the orignal price! What is with that. Same product, same recession, higher price.

+1 at wtf @ G.Skill prices...

$55 for 4GB of DDR2-1066 in January!
$80 for the same set now!

WTF?

can you use DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard and get 1200MHZ or better? just wondering

nevermind you cant.. DDR3 is 1.5V and DDR2 is 1.8v. scratch that.

I heard that the 'spot' price for 1Gb DDR3 was at parity with DDR2. I guess it is from the dollar's buying power and the changing demand.

What is going on with the insane memory prices.

Is Korea and Taiwan having a hard times?

I heard that the 'spot' price for 1Gb DDR3 was at parity with DDR2. I guess it is from the dollar's buying power and the changing demand.

The price have done the same in Europe and the Euro is still strong.

The price have done the same in Europe and the Euro is still strong.

Looking at the prices on my favourite Dutch online hardware store, Alternate.nl, I can see that DDR3 prices have increased significantly the past few months.

I bought 2x2GB sticks of Corsair DDR2 800 for $10 after $30 MIR last spring. Works for me!

This is insane. The same 6gb kit of G.Skill i bought for something like 80 bucks shipped is now 140. What the hell happened?

It's because of the downturn in economy. Memory manufacturers were losing a lot of money before when they sold memory under cost. They can't afford to do that now. Besides with Intel switching all their new chipsets to DDR3, the demand is higher, so they can raise prices.

At least it's not $200+ for 2 gigs like it was ~3 years ago.

True. I bought a 2GB DDR2-800 kit of Kingston value RAM back in March 2007 for $250 :eek:

I bought some nice Gskill DDR2-1066 modules back in April that were $45 for a 4GB kit. It is now $90 for that same kit.

True. I bought a 2GB DDR2-800 kit of Kingston value RAM back in March 2007 for $250 :eek:

Ehh, those prices still seem cheap for me. When building in mid-2006 with C2D, I paid nearly $200 for a 1GB DDR2-667 Value Ram stick. 1 year later, I bought the exact same stick again for $75. The next year, it was on sale for $19.

Back