What Happened to all of the Aero Effects?

Kris

Gawd
I remember Microsoft demoing Aero a long time ago (before the first public betas were around when they were first creating builds with it enabled) and they had the windows become translucient when you start to drag them and the window kind of "swayed" (for the lack of a better term) when you moved it back and force (kind of how wind would affect paper moved in such a way).

I didn't like the transparency on click but what happened to the cool swaying effect?

Also, now that Vista is out and developers can take advantage of Aero, are there any projects out there that create cool effects on the desktop? I know of MyExpose but it's extremely buggy.

They toned it down quite a bit from original concepts. It was unnecessary. WindowFX does those effects. You can download that.

I remember Microsoft demoing Aero a long time ago (before the first public betas were around when they were first creating builds with it enabled) and they had the windows become translucient when you start to drag them and the window kind of "swayed" (for the lack of a better term) when you moved it back and force (kind of how wind would affect paper moved in such a way).

I didn't like the transparency on click but what happened to the cool swaying effect?

Also, now that Vista is out and developers can take advantage of Aero, are there any projects out there that create cool effects on the desktop? I know of MyExpose but it's extremely buggy.

lol..i was gonna post the same thing. i've been watching a lot of videos from youtube showing beryl. i wonder if we'll ever see something like that for vista.

"back and forth". Window effects are quite boring btw. I turned mine off within 2 days.

Mate, if you spend your time watching video effects of an OS on youtube, then it's time to sell your computer and leave your house way more often. In the end, effects don't help you to be more productive, play games better or be able to do anything more with your computer. I don't see why people should care about fancy GUI's. It's like good graphics in a crappy game. In the end, it's only the gameplay that's important.

some people would like their user interface too look like its not from 1995

So that they can sit their and appreciate the bouncing windows which are mowing through processor cycles and decreasing their productivity ? Not me thanks. I've always been on windows classic theme wiht the slate colour scheme and by the looks of things will be for a long time. The cube desktop stuff in beryl looks slightly useful, but unless it helps me get stuff done it can stay the hell away.

i dont know of many people who max out their processor using "productivity" aps, except perhaps some complex 3d work. most of the time its just sitting there with its proverbial thumb up its proverbial ass.

Yep, I can do flip3d without processor usage going up at all. So in that way, it's bette than any older OS. Badass.

Oh wow. I didn't think an innocent quesiton would get me attacked!
Mate, if you spend your time watching video effects of an OS on youtube, then it's time to sell your computer and leave your house way more often. In the end, effects don't help you to be more productive, play games better or be able to do anything more with your computer. I don't see why people should care about fancy GUI's. It's like good graphics in a crappy game. In the end, it's only the gameplay that's important.
I never spent time looking for videos of Vista and its effects or anything like that. I happened to see a news article about Vista that included the video.

I don't think a nice user interface should be limited to just games. Everything should have something that's nice to look at and is easy to use.
So that they can sit their and appreciate the bouncing windows which are mowing through processor cycles and decreasing their productivity ? Not me thanks. I've always been on windows classic theme wiht the slate colour scheme and by the looks of things will be for a long time. The cube desktop stuff in beryl looks slightly useful, but unless it helps me get stuff done it can stay the hell away.
I also don't think these kinds of desktop effects lower productivity. I used to be more productive under OS X. Why? Because it was aesthetically pleasing and each application looked good where as Windows (even XP) looked.... old. Since I've gotten Vista, I've actually gotten a lot more done.

Also, like already mentioned, it doesn't affect your processor.

this is kind of off topic, but does OS X use the GPU to process the user interface?

this is kind of off topic, but does OS X use the GPU to process the user interface?

Yes, it does. I don't remember if it started that way when OS X 10.0 came out but I know the last several versions do render via the GPU.

Back