What graphics card to buy for replacement?

No.

Why would he join a low end graphics card with a 120/144hz display. That's asking for screen tearing. If you don't run your LCD panel at native refresh rate you will experience screen tearing. So stay clear of the high refresh monitors with budget cards and no sync technology. They can't push that many frames per second.

75hz freesync is the obvious choice to your question. It's cheaper, it's easier to drive with the GPU.

Last edited:
No.

Why would he join a low end graphics card with a 120/144hz display. That's asking for screen tearing. If you don't run your LCD panel at native refresh rate you will experience screen tearing. So stay clear of the high refresh monitors with budget cards. They can't push that many frames per second.

75hz freesync is the obvious choice to your question. It's cheaper, it's easier to drive with the GPU.

Because there's a huge advantage to running 144FPS in eSports titles. There's not much difference between running 60FPS and 75FPS, but there's a huge difference in smoothness and response time going with 144Hz.

A decent monitor will last you well over 4 GPU generations. There's no reason to settle for a lesser one right now.

OP, which monitors are you considering? From what I've seen 75Hz FreeSync and 144Hz displays are close in price.

No.

Why would he join a low end graphics card with a 120/144hz display. That's asking for screen tearing. If you don't run your LCD panel at native refresh rate you will experience screen tearing. So stay clear of the high refresh monitors with budget cards and no sync technology. They can't push that many frames per second.

A budget card can easily push most Esports titles at 120/144fps.

If you're even remotely thinking of playing ME Andromeda, I'd wait a month and then see performance reviews. I myself am between an RX480 or a GTX1060 and that will be the final deciding factor. If you remain unconvinced, by then a) vega is closer and GPUs may be even cheaper or b) we'll be very close to the next GPU lineup.

I've really been debating between getting a 1060 6GB and a 1070. I only game at 1080p but want 60FPS in everything (6600k cpu). I just can't believe the cost difference between this and a 1070.
Exactly why I went with 1060 6gb card instead of the 1070. Price difference is crazy.. :(

Rx480 4gb can be had for $155, check Slickdeals. If you buy a 1060, don't get the 3gb model, it's a slightly cut down chip compared to the 6gb model. 480 4gb would be a much better choice for less money.

Back