What GPUs to combine with Skylake PCI Exp 4 and DDR4?

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
Hi,
I have the system in signature.

An i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz with a GTX580 SLI.
It's well enough to play all current titles at 1920x1200 at a decent framerate. (60FPS is enough for me).

Future games will be much more demanding than actual, just think to The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Night, Mirror Edge 2, Far Cry 4, AC Unity and so on.

The problem is that this title comes on early 2015 or before and my PC isn't able to max them out at 1920x1200 at a constant 60FPS.
I want to upgrade my rig to be able to max out this games but I don't want to buy a small upgrade just to throw out some money, I want to buy a good upgrade to my system.

A good upgrade to my system is Intel Skylake with PCI Exp 4 and DDR4.
Skylake will be out in summer 2015, what is the GPU roadmap from nVidia?

What should we expect from nvidia from now to summer 2015?
I think that we will see series 8 this christmas, than, when will we see the new series after the christmas and what they will give us?

Last edited:
If NVIDIA's release history is anything to go by, we'll see the equivalent of a GTX 780 released first, probably Q1 2015. Six months after that will probably bring a Ti-variant, using better binned parts for a marginal increase in performance (~15%) at a price premium (~$200). So if you want the absolute best NVIDIA card, we'll probably see it release around the same timeframe as the Skylake platform. Price assumptions are based on current generation trending, but rumour is that the next generation will be less expensive. I would expect a GTX 880 to be around $550 instead of the $650 the GTX 780 launched at.

Your current system is still pretty good for gaming at 1200p, so you should still be able to get decent performance out of the games coming early next year until the time you want to upgrade.

If NVIDIA's release history is anything to go by, we'll see the equivalent of a GTX 780 released first, probably Q1 2015. Six months after that will probably bring a Ti-variant, using better binned parts for a marginal increase in performance (~15%) at a price premium (~$200). So if you want the absolute best NVIDIA card, we'll probably see it release around the same timeframe as the Skylake platform. Price assumptions are based on current generation trending, but rumour is that the next generation will be less expensive. I would expect a GTX 880 to be around $550 instead of the $650 the GTX 780 launched at.

Your current system is still pretty good for gaming at 1200p, so you should still be able to get decent performance out of the games coming early next year until the time you want to upgrade.

there are some titles that I want play maxed out and my rig isn't able to max them out, the witcher 3 is one of them :D

there are some titles that I want play maxed out and my rig isn't able to max them out, the witcher 3 is one of them :D
Well the game isn't even out yet... But I'm sure you won't be able to, either :p. The good thing about waiting is you can pick it up on a Steam or GOG sale ;).

I doubt Skylake will be on time given the problems they are having with Broadwell. I am targeting Q3 2015 minimum. Why not milk the current arch as long as possible since AMD is no real threat?

Mid-tier 800-series (GM204-based so 860-870 cards) will be out in Q3 or Q4 this year (probably Q4). GM210 (880/880ti/890) probably in Q1 or Q2 depending on whether TSMC has completely sorted out the problems with the 20nm HP node.

Last edited:
If the Maxwell lineup is delayed by that time, then sell your 580's and get two 780 or 780Ti cards. Fairly good jump in its own right.

A word to the OP, Skylake as we understand may not be out until at least summer 2015, it is worth mentioning that those will be locked chips. The K variants won't be out till fall or maybe winter 2015/16.
And also, those mainstream Skylake chips will not have PCI-E 4.0 support (as of now) it won't be until the E variants arrive when we'll see 4.0 support.

Skylake will probably end up being out for Christmas 2015. Don't expect anything sooner, Intel has been late on every launch for some time.

If the Maxwell lineup is delayed by that time, then sell your 580's and get two 780 or 780Ti cards. Fairly good jump in its own right.

My GTX580 worths nothing. If I can sell them for 200€ is too much.

A word to the OP, Skylake as we understand may not be out until at least summer 2015, it is worth mentioning that those will be locked chips. The K variants won't be out till fall or maybe winter 2015/16.
And also, those mainstream Skylake chips will not have PCI-E 4.0 support (as of now) it won't be until the E variants arrive when we'll see 4.0 support.

Skylake will probably end up being out for Christmas 2015. Don't expect anything sooner, Intel has been late on every launch for some time.

very bad news, I hoped to see PCI EXP 4 and DDR4 for mid 2015 on 4 cores CPUs.

First off pcie 3 doesn't have any gains over 2 unless running quad sli. No way 4 is gonna make a diff unless some REALLY fast cards come out and your running 4 of them with 3x4k surround lol. As for ddr4 I doubt there will be a diff over 3 considering the 3000mhz+ capable on newest i5/i7.

Back