• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what gpu do I need for 2560X1440?

Aumakua

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 14, 2009
Messages
333
So I just pulled the trigger on a Dell U2711 because after stackable coupons I got it with a 5 year warranty for $842 plus tax, free shipping, couldn't pass on that even though I wanted to wait to see if there is a 27" ACD coming out, I figured it would be about $500 more than that price for the Dell and Apple stuff never goes on sale!

Anyway, right now I am running a i7 920 at 4.0 ghz, 6GB 1600 RAM, and SLI 8800GT, with a 24" 1900X1200 monitor I haven't really had any problems, except of course with Crysis :)

What I am looking for is something to power my new monitor cpu setup, I set up my case for some pretty amazing fan cooling (probably the best you can do with fans), and I would like to have just 1 gpu instead of a SLI/CF setup. my budget is anywhere from $400-$700 depending on how great the product is (if the $700 gpu offers 15% more performance than the $400 one, I wouldn't buy the $700 one...)

Do you guys think I should look at the 5870, 5970, GTX480, or wait to see what each company will come out with this summer and into the fall?

with SLI 8800GTs will I run into problems on the U2711? like on games such as Dragon Age?
 
I think you should try it out and see if you can hold out until the next wave of cards.
 
meh wait till the monitor arrives and test out the current cards you got and decide.. nothign really good till this fall for graphic games imo so might aswell wait. I hoping for5850's for 200 bucks by end of summer
 
Looks like using a few cashback programs I might be able to get a PNY GTX 580 for $437 after shipping.

of course if one of the cash backs doesn't go through (since you are technically supposed to be able to use just one) that would make it $461, still not a bad price though.
 
You can always run it at 1920 x 1080 if you have issues....
 
justw ait till the next big thing arrives and u cant get acceptable performce out of it and upgrade then nothign good coming till august anyways.
 
meh wait till the monitor arrives and test out the current cards you got and decide.. nothign really good till this fall for graphic games imo so might aswell wait. I hoping for5850's for 200 bucks by end of summer

Waiting until 2011 may not be an option for some people though becuase I highly doubt the price will drop $100 in 3 months. Even with new cards being released they don't drop that much so I don't see why they'd drop with nothing new coming out.
 
I've got a 2560x1600 along with some other monitors and use a 280 GTX to drive it. I noticed less of a need to crank up the AA with the higher resolution for my purposes it's great. If I were in the market at the moment I would go with the 5870 for the lower price for performance and power consumption.
 
I think if I am going to spend that much money I would rather get a single GTX480 than dual 5850s

Just wondering why?

Crossfire HD5850s are a good amount faster thana single GTX480, which is about 10% faster than a single HD5870.

Your chioces are:
HD5870 ~$400
GTX480 ~$500
Crossfire HD5850s ~$600 (~50%, ~40% than the other 2, uses a tad less power than a single GTX480 too).
 
Waiting until 2011 may not be an option for some people though becuase I highly doubt the price will drop $100 in 3 months. Even with new cards being released they don't drop that much so I don't see why they'd drop with nothing new coming out.

anything can happen :p i recall some nvidia cards dropping a couple hundred dollar in a matter of weeks one time :p
 
Just wondering why?

Crossfire HD5850s are a good amount faster thana single GTX480, which is about 10% faster than a single HD5870.

Your chioces are:
HD5870 ~$400
GTX480 ~$500
Crossfire HD5850s ~$600 (~50%, ~40% than the other 2, uses a tad less power than a single GTX480 too).

Well pricing it out right now, I have found the:

GTX480 $474
HD 5870 $410
HD 5850 $300

I can get 10% cash back with any of those, the way I look at it, $64 for the GTX over the 5870 I can handle, especially because with certain titles Nvidia blows away ATI, and AA seems to be better on the NVidia cards (by looking at benchmarks on tomshardware).

Now I think the real comparison I am doing is the GTX480 vs the HD 5850, a lot of you will think they aren't even close so how can I compare them, well its simple, I have decided the 5970 is too expensive right now, and I would chose the 480 over the 5870, BUT the 5850 performs really well, not too far behind the 5870 (10% maybe) but its 37% cheaper than the GTX480! also seems like the only game it can't handle at Super HD resolution is Crysis, but the GTX480 can't handle it either, so whats the difference. I could save $175 now, and when the next crop of ATI or Nvidia cards come out in 6-12 months with better supply (no price inflation) and better drivers, I can sell the 5850 and take the smallest lose.
 

That's a nice drop but not nearly $200. The mid rage card (which is what you're looking at with the 5850) dropped $100 and was originally $400 facing very stiff competition from ATI. Soooo....

1) The drop was $100, not $200
2) The original price was more inflated than todays 5850's are
3) The competition had cards equally as good that cost less
3.5) Given the manufacturing issues with 45nm, the cards back then were undoubtedly cheaper to produce than todays cards.

$200 5850's is just not gonna happen by the end of summer 2010. If it does, I guess you'll have the last laugh.
 
Get what works now and don't worry about what might be out later this year. If you worry about that, you'll never get anything worthwhile. Hell, I dropped the cash on a 5970 last November just because I couldn't find any 5870's in stock anywhere and I happened to catch them on sale via a post on this forum. Can't say that I regret the purchase since games look absolutely fantastic on my new i7-920 rig.
 
That's a nice drop but not nearly $200. The mid rage card (which is what you're looking at with the 5850) dropped $100 and was originally $400 facing very stiff competition from ATI. Soooo....

1) The drop was $100, not $200
2) The original price was more inflated than todays 5850's are
3) The competition had cards equally as good that cost less
3.5) Given the manufacturing issues with 45nm, the cards back then were undoubtedly cheaper to produce than todays cards.

$200 5850's is just not gonna happen by the end of summer 2010. If it does, I guess you'll have the last laugh.

649 to 499 is 150 thats a good 3/4 the way to couple hundred :rolleyes:

your seeing 5850s for $279 now i bet ya you see them down to 200 on sale by end of august.
 
649 to 499 is 150 thats a good 3/4 the way to couple hundred :rolleyes:

your seeing 5850s for $279 now i bet ya you see them down to 200 on sale by end of august.

$150 was on the high end part $100 on the mid rage part which is what you're looking at with the 5850. Let's atleast try and compare apples to apples here.

Maybe if you're lucky, you might be able to get a crappy non reference xfx card for around $200 after you jump through hoops with coupon codes, bing cash back and MIR's.
 
You just said your resolution was going to be 2560x1440. So you shouldn't take anything less than the top of the line from either company - nvidia or ati. Otherwise you will not be able to play at highest settings with high framerates and antialiasing.

New hardware might come out that is faster a few months from now, but then you just sell what you had and buy whatever's new. It's the normal cycle.
 
Back
Top