What gaming video card lasted you the Shortest?

{NG}Fidel

Supreme [H]ardness
Well this thread is self explanatory.
Which GPU failed you the fastest?

My XFX Reference 7970 failed me in about 3 years.
A shorter lifespan than even my 3870x2 (5 Years).

I had two 7900 GT's, one was an Asus Top the other an EVGA Signature card...neither one lasted a month. I waited a few years before getting new, an EVGA 8800GTS which is the longest card I've owned (about 6 years).

My first real 3D card, the Rendition Verite 2200 4MB PCI I bought in March 1998. I was just testing the water to see how much 3D acceleration I could buy on a poor college student budget, and it was great for Quakeworld TF!...and then it met up with Half-Life, and was destroyed (too slow).

Luckily by then OEM 16MB TNT cards were under a hundred, so I upgraded after just eight months.

Never had a card die on me, all were replaced due to performance :)

Last edited:
Never had a video card die on me in nearly 14 years of building computers

Last edited:
I've never had a GPU fail.
6 years old 4870 and 4850 still running, 4 years old 6950 and 5870 still running.

Although my 280X is already dying and it's less than a year old.

7900 gtx and 7950 gtx both burned up clocking and modding. the 7950 was a beastly overclocker though :)

GTX260, less than 3 months. I know it was less than 3 months since I was able to trade-up to a GTX285.
Had some funky memory issue that would only show up in Counter Strike Source.

It would glitch and either lockup the computer or just the game.
When the PC locked up it did this,
gtx-2.jpg

If the game locked up, the screen would look like this,
gtx-3.jpg

Most likely my 670. I bought it when I had a 1440p screen and that was pushing it. When I got my 21:9 screen it was just too much for the poor thing to handle. 4 months!

Haven't had a card die on me personally...yet. It seems to always happen to my buddies and not me, hah.

Another vote for the 7970. Got rid of that shiz when it started artifacting within a month, then moved to Nvidia for a while.

I have had quite a few cards. I usually refresh and sell every 2 years. Sometimes sooner...

I have had my fair share of bad graphics cards on arrival. I had a GTX 9800+ that went bad after a few hours, showing artifacts under load. I had a GTX 660 that was bad out of the box... both EVGA.

lol my X1950 GT still works after 8 years.

XFX 6970. It was the somewhat silent 'revised' version which wouldn't support my 2560 x 1600 LCD.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601246

After two hours of troubleshooting and searching for an answer I found several sites which detailed the exact issues I was having. Re-installed my GTX 460 then returned the 6970. I haven't purchased an AMD card since as this was the second card I had issues with in as many years.

The only GPU I've had die on me was my 7800 GTX Go in my Dell i9400 laptop. I think it bit the dust about 2 years after I modded the laptop. I baked it and it worked fine up until someone stole the laptop about a year later.

I take that back. After thinking some more I had a Geforce 5900 GS (or some variant of the 5900) that died on me. The fan failed without my knowledge and it burned the GPU up. No idea how long I had the card before that happened. Probably 3 years? It wasn't my primary rig by the time it went out so I can't remember.

the only GPU that died on me was my radeon 9800 pro. I don't remember how long it lasted but it was quite a few years because back then I believe it had a 5 year warranty. I filed an RMA and then didn't notice when it fell behind my desk. when I moved my desk I called ATI but they wouldn't authorize the return. understandable but not something I wanted to hear from a consumer perspective so I haven't bought an AMD since.

Had several die on me. A 260M GTX in a Sager notebook and a 7970 GHZ ed. Both died in under a year.

Had 3 9600gt cards die on me in a row in less than a year, replaced with a 5870 which still runs today.

The short lived video card for me was the 6750. Had it for about 3 months, didnt like how it handled BF3. Decided to man up and get a 6870;

I had a GTX 285 for maybe 3 months.

I bought it used when the 400 series came out but then realized it couldn't decode 3D Blu-Ray so I flipped it on eBay for what I paid and got a GTX 470 (which I still have on my old PC).

I've had a Geforce 4 Ti4400 die, but only after I had already replaced it and gave it to a friend.

I've had a Radeon HD4850 die, but again, it was already replaced and being used in another system. Oh, and I volt modded that one which I'm sure had something to do with it.

I've never had a card completely fail on me. However...

I did have an experience with a flashed 6950 (to 6970) which I got from someone on the forums. I ended up selling or giving the card to a friend after quite some time of owning it, I don't remember which. He found the card had a warped heatsink and we were unsure how it occurred, but my 1:30 AM guess is a side effect of running the card flashed 24/7.

Otherwise I ended up having an 8500 GT for a few months in my first build before I found that card was a chump and upgraded to a 9800 GTX and stuck it in a micro ATX case, Lol.

XFX 5850 Black died in less than a year....

Never going with that company again.

Radeon 2900 pro died after a year due to all that ROHS bullshit we had at that time

The single card that died, or I had problems with for that matter, was an Gecube Radeon 9600 PRO. One year and a few weeks it lasted. Needles to say that the warranty on it was one year.....

Had a Radeon card many years ago that could be flashed (if you were lucky) to the next higher version card. On the day I flashed it, I was not lucky....

Would not accept a flash back to the old firmware and would not display anything.....
So it was certainly not the card mfg's fault. I just took a chance and lost. Card only had a one year warranty and that was past.

Kid

XFX 5850 Black died in less than a year....

Never going with that company again.

Actually now that you mention XFX, I had a XFX 8800GT that didn't completely fail, but it would artifact in certain games unless I under clocked the RAM. I RMA'd it to XFX and they sent the same card back to me, in the same condition I sent it. I went through an email exchange with them and they said that they don't have any of the games I'm having artifacting issues with to test so instead they tested other games (that I wasn't having issues with) and sent the card back with no problems found. That was the last XFX card I purchased.

R9 290 - about one month before selling it and replacing it with a GTX 780.

Radeon HD 4850 because I was on a budget at the time. The TDRs and buggy drivers made me go back to the green team after a month. I settled on a GTX 260 and never went back to using AMD in any desktop builds.

Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GT. It was defective after one year of use. The good thing is that it was still under warranty and I got a 7800 GS as replacement for only 10 $ extra payment.

vanilla gtx 260. I got a core 216 260 after like... a couple months tops. It didn't break, the performance just sucked.

GTX 480

Bought it in July. When the GTX 580 was announced a few months later I dumped the GTX 480 on ebay and got the GTX 580 in Novemeber, so like 5 months.

That said, I've never had a GPU fail on me.

MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III PE.

Came in the mail from TigerDirect, installed it, loaded OS, installed driver, played UT3, ran the Heaven benchmark, broke. Artifacts all over the place. Nothing ran properly after that. Not even the BIOS screen looked normal. Lasted about 2 hours. RMA'd the same day. TD was good, though. I had a replacement within the week.

ATI 9700 Pro................I messed up some GPU traces prying off the heatsink spacer after owning it for a month.

2x ASUS 280x DirectCU 2 top. Kept them for about a month I think. I sold them to upgrade to a single GTX 980 on launch day. Last AMD card I owned was a 6870 bought on launch day. Figured AMD'S drivers wouldn't suck anymore but I was wrong. They liked to BSOD my system when I had a game running and tried playing a YouTube video. I think turning off hardware acceleration helped but the drivers had more annoying issues that I wasn't going to put up with.

Radeon HD 4870X2. I literally had a pair these for about two weeks and sold them due to being unable to make them work properly in my system.

gtx 570, ~ 5 months from evga brand new. Still sold it on ebay for 80 less than original price, but was bummed about it dying so fast.

GeForce FX 5200, the 256MB version. First and last time I fell for the "It has a lot of VRAM so it must be good!" trick, took it back the next day.

Back