what games made you buy a console?

steviep: 1st one was for 'testing' purposes, took it back after about a month. 2nd I bought when I was training in pensacola, fl. and sold it to my roommate when I transfered. 3rd one (slim) my wife got me for my birthday because I said I'd like to play San Andreas, my daughter has gained control of it now. None broke, none had problems.

But this is getting wayyy of topic of the OP.

defender atari 2600.
missle command atari 5200.

have not owned a console since then..

Mario 64 - N64
Final Fantasy 7 - PS1
Halo - xbox
Fight Night 3 - xbox360
Gradius 6 - PS3
Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube
Gradius 5 - ps2 (still just planning on this one)
Half Life / CS / Medal of Honor : AA / HL2 / CS:S / DOD:S - PC
Tetris Attack - Super NES
sweet sexy looks - PSP
Metroid Prime Pinball - DS (planning)
Neat-o controller - Revolution
Sonic Adventure / Powerstone / Shenmue - Dreamcast
Sonic - Genesis
Duck Hunt - NES

Grazehall... I won't get too off-topic, but let me say this:
1) Nintendo makes more profit off the hardware than either MS or Sony, and thanks to the GB's has about 40-45% marketshare in gaming
2) Online penetration in this generation is less than 15%, next gen will be 60+ (great time to get into it, properly, and free, imo)
3) A gimmick is defined as something that doesn't add to an experience, just supplements it. By definition, both the touch screen on the DS, and likely the Rev controller, are not, and will not be gimmicks, as they add a lot to an experience *IF* utilized properly.

Prowler, I apologize for my assumption. Just that I know a LOT of people hwo have purchased multiple PS2's due to horrible build quality, and it irks me a bit :)

NES: I dunno, parents got it for me when I didn't even know what it was at the time.

SNES: Super Mario World.

Genesis: Sonic 1 & Sonic 2

N64: Got it at release for Mario 64. Goddamn what an amazing game. Was still waiting for StarFox and Zelda.

PSX: Role Playing Games (Square, Atlus, Enix)

PS2: I got it because I knew Square, Enix, and Atlus would be making games for it and for Grand Turismo. Now I'm really sticking around for the Capcom games, Kojima games, Jak series, and Ratchet and Clank series. (Still have the same one I bought 2 months after launch)

Gamecube: I knew there would be a Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Rogue Squadron game for it so I had to get it.

:::::Next Gen:::::
PS3: SquareEnix, Atlus, Capcom, Kojima, Jak, Ratchet, and many more random companies that are aboard with Sony.

Revolution: I can't wait to see what type of Mario, Zelda, or Metriod game they can make with that badass controller.

IceWind said:
OMG I forgot all about that game!. Destruction ring mode was fucking hilarious *Hoo ho ho... you lost a wheel!! *Yu've blown your radiator, take it easy!!!

Oh god...You're bringing back memories. :p

I remember on Destruction Derby 2, there was a track, at the top of the hill on one side of the road, there was a little jump-ramp-type-road there, I used to drive that track, just to do that jump over and over again. God damn, that was fun.

Only ones I remember clearly were:
PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
PS2 - Final Fantasy X

All the other systems? Nes, Snes, 64, GB1, GBA, Genesis, Atari... oddly enough those weren't driven by any particular games at all.

Digger

Yeah, it's a PC game. But i played it so much my dad worried i might break the keyboard and bought me a FamiCom instead :D

I bought the Gamecube for Smash Brothers Melee, but since it sucked, I ended up selling the system and getting and Xbox for Project Gotham Racing.

SSB Melee "sucked"? So you got an X-Box for *PGR*? Wow... no comment :D

Since we're all doing "next gen" here, I may as well throw in:
1) Revolution: to see what they do with that fuckin controller and their top franchises
2) PS3 OR X360 - depending on where the games are, and how high the cost remains

Xbox = Ninja Gaiden
Dreamcast = I forget
N64 = First Zelda
PSX = Resident Evil
3DO = Wing Commander III
Genesis = Sonic
NES = Parents

steviep said:
SSB Melee "sucked"? So you got an X-Box for *PGR*? Wow... no comment :D

Well I pretty much thought that the first one was perfect, and wanted nothing but a graphical update. It messed up just about everything that the first did right, so yes, it sucked.

PGR was new and exciting. I got so many hours of gameplay out of it...it was definitely worth it. If I like a game, it's good. If I don't, it sucks.

For the most part, Nintendo doesn't take a game and update the graphics, add a new level, and call it a new game as many other companies do. And before you mention Mario Party, I said for the most part.

And such is with some Mario parties as was with SSB Melee. They always take an existing formula, tweak it, change things, and do their best to give you a new game with an existing franchise. I will argue that SSBM was better than its predecessor, and that I believe that PGR wasn't the greatest, though I can see that it was new and exciting at the time. But that's just my opinion - nothing to flame about, we all have our differences in opinion :)

But back on topic......
(insert topical reply under here)

GoldenEye
Tony Hawk Pro Skater series
Socom I and II,and yes III
Gran Turismo series

had to jump in again...

The Dreamcast was flawless, it did not save SEGA.

Ok, now I love the dreamcast. It's the newest console I own. But flawless?? The controller sucks major ass (I use playstation controller adapters), it had a 56k modem, which although I never played online, I am sure was insufficient. It also used those crazy GD-ROMs, where if it had just used DVD's I'm sure it would have lasted a lot longer. And yeah, it was timed weird. When it came out it blew away the N64, but everybody was already wetting themselves over the PS2. If sega had squeezed it out a year or so earlier it would have done a lot better. Oh, and had they spent more than 10 minutes testing their controllers...

PS1: CivII (LOL it was a great game)
PS2: Grand Theft Auto Vice City
GameCube: Zelda Windwaker, Starwars Bounty Hunter
N64: Zelda OOT

Its not really the games that sell me on the system, its more of the technology. There is always at least a few games that I would love to play on any system I read up on.

Saturn - Nights (With that funky-ass controller)
Genesis - Kid Chameleon

Back