What games have I missed?

spencers

Gawd
I haven't built a gaming PC in about 8 years (judging by my post history and limited memory). I'm trying to figure out if building a mid-range gaming box is worth it...

I've been on the Mac side of things since 2002, and have recently (again, limited memory) played Mac titles such as:
-Portal 1 & 2, CS:S, CS:GO, HL2
-Starcraft 2, Diablo 3
-Real Racing 2 (iOS game)
-Borderlands
-Call of Duty 4

Back when I had a gaming PC I enjoyed:
-Quake 3 Arena
-Doom 3
-CS:S
-GTA 3
-Unreal Tournament
-Farcry
-Battlefield 1942 (+Desert Combat)
-Need for Speed
-Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo

So what have I missed that's worth a PC build? I obviously like FPS/Shootemup/Racing/Blizzard titles. I've started a running list, feel free to add to it.
-Crysis 1 & 2
-Farcry 2
-Borderlands 2
-Battlefield 3
-GTA IV

Any good racing games?

Dirt 2,Skyrim,Driver San Francisco and Saints Row the third where good games I played through.

You already listed it but I enjoyed playing gta4 and the expansions tlad and tbogt a lot more than the other games. Multiplayer in gta4 is really good.

You own a Mac, meaning you justified purchasing an overpriced system with an alienated operating system. And now you're wondering if you can justify purchasing a PC?

Really?

Anyway.

Your List
-Crysis 1 & 2
-Farcry 2
-Borderlands 2
-Battlefield 3
-GTA IV

More Released
Crysis Warhead
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Metro: 2033
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham City
Skyrim
Torchlight
Torchlight 2
Terraria
Civilization V
Total War Shogun 2
DOTA 2
Fallout: New Vegas
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
King Arthur
King Arthur 2
STALKER
STALKER Call of Pripyat
STALKER Clear Skies
Dark Souls
Guild Wars
Guild Wars 2
ARMA 2
DayZ
Tribes Ascend
FTL
Sleeping Dogs
Red Orchestra 2

More Unreleased
Crysis 3
Battlefield 4
Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
War of the Roses
Path of Exile
Grim Dawn
Project Eternity
Company of Heroes 2
Natural Selection 2
Metro Last Light
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Hitman Absolution
WarZ

And so many more.

Last edited:
take Far Cry 2 off your list...add Fallout: New Vegas, Metro 2033 and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games

Sleeping dogs....i went into that game with reservations but i loved it....played it like a madman, and i dont normally do that

You own a Mac, meaning you justified purchasing an overpriced system with an alienated operating system. And now you're wondering if you can justify purchasing a PC?

No need to be a douche. :rolleyes: I'm just trying to justify whether adding another computer to the household is worth it--based on games I haven't played.

But thanks for your list, especially the upcoming titles!

Yeah, I wouldn't go into Far Cry 2 expecting Far Cry. Stick to the Crysis games, though you can probably find FC2 for dirt cheap so it might be worth a shot if you're interested.

I'd also add Mass Effect series to your list. ME2 and ME3 are basically shooters with decent story, so no worries if you don't like RPG.

Also, definitely get the original FEAR. Stalker is good, too.

if you have a couple of friends to play with DayZ is definitely worth looking into

dota 2 is great

planetside 2 isnt bad either

right now i am playing
battlefield 3 ( last xpack was really well done.. especially the maps. )
borderlands 2
guild wars 2
dota 2 every now and then

You might also add Titan Quest to your list (it was the cream of the Diablo clones, in my opinion) ... possibly Bioshock (I loved them but others haven't been as fond of them) ... I'll second FEAR ... a decent horror shooter ... I like Fallout 3 ... and Far Cry 3 is due out in December (and the preview stuff on it is looking excellent)

For racing games, I recommend Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (2010) or Burnout Paradise. Both of these are arcade racers that are easy to pickup and play.

Stalker soc
Stalker cs
Stalker cop
metro 2033 (2034 next year)
witcher 1
witcher 2
skyrim
morrowind (a bit old but i think is better than oblivion and skyrim)

fallout
fallout new Vegas
Amnesia
Supreme commander
world in conflict
Dark souls
arma2
arma2 oa
crysis
crysis warhead
f1 2012
Assassins creed 1,2,3,4 (if yout don't despise ubisoft)

planetside 2
Bioshock
red faction gorilla
serious Sam 2
path of exile (ftp but currently in beta)
titan quest
aces high (monthly fee but a great flight sim)
magika
dear esther (interesting, but more of a walk through story than a game and only 2 hours)

Medieval 2 total war
Rome total war
crusader king
Eve online (great space mmo)
battlefield 2 (with pr mod is still way more fun than bf3)

masseffect 1
masseffect 2
masseffect 3
kotor
rage (i personally hate this game because how broken it was when it was released but after it was patched people seem to like it)

risen
two worlds 2
x3 ( if you like hardor core dump you off in space with no instructions space sim.)
ftp (addiction little and i do mean little rogue like indy game.)

sins of a solar empire
civ 5
tribes ascend
dead space
dead space 2 (if you like horror in space)
Red orchestra 2
deus ex
MINECRAFT( this game is awesome and it has a great modding communities )

i could keep going but i have to get back to work. To put it lightly you have played basically nothing, so start building that rig and enjoy all the pc goodness.

I liked the tomb raider games starting with anniversay, but don't buy that guardian of light crap.

Some of my more favorite recent releases have been the following:

Serious Sam BFE
Deus Ex HR
Skyrim
Tribes Ascend
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Orcs Must Die 2

There are a ton of great RTS games as well that can be replayed for an insanely long time.

I have a huge backlog of games from many recent sales at Steam, GOG, and GMG but I have been playing Just Cause 2 a TON. Fun as hell. I got it for like $5 or less too.

I have many games too backlogged. I agree very much Just Cause 2 is very fun. Nice graphics, good gameplay. Now it is very cheap.

It's lasting for forever too. I am 40 hours into it and only 23% done with no end in sight. Love it. It's a blast (pun intended).

Deadspace 1 and 2
Bioshock 1 and 2

These are awesome titles and should be moved above Crysis(overrated)/Farcry

Since you like GTA you may like assassins creed series, you can pickup the 2nd one for like $5 on steam sales.

For racing games, I didn't see any mention of Grid. Grid is a lot of fun, generally can be found for under $5.

If you're looking even more arcade-ey than that, try Burnout Paradise.

If you're looking even more arcade-ey than that, try Burnout Paradise.

If you like arcade type drivers then some of the Need For Speed games can be purchased for around $5 on sales. Hot Pursuit is very fun.

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and Left 4 Dead are all out on mac so I'm leaving these out.....but if you haven't played them on mac then play them they are all good.

for single player FPS Crysis.
for Multiplayer FPS BF3
for RPG start with Fallout 3, move into dragon age, and finish off with Skyrim (you'll be too burned out to pop in New Vegas)

For racing ditch the PC go pick up a super Nintendo and get Mario Kart, Rock n' roll racing, and RPM Racing......do you really need anything more I think not.

first real fighting game on PC Street Fighter 4 is pretty good if you have a controller for it.

Civ 5 is pretty good.....except the game is hours of nothingness and yet somehow you had fun.

Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3, and Left 4 Dead are all out on mac so I'm leaving these out.....but if you haven't played them on mac then play them they are all good.

for single player FPS Crysis.
for Multiplayer FPS BF3
for RPG start with Fallout 3, move into dragon age, and finish off with Skyrim (you'll be too burned out to pop in New Vegas)

For racing ditch the PC go pick up a super Nintendo and get Mario Kart, Rock n' roll racing, and RPM Racing......do you really need anything more I think not.

first real fighting game on PC Street Fighter 4 is pretty good if you have a controller for it.

Civ 5 is pretty good.....except the game is hours of nothingness and yet somehow you had fun.

LOL. I loved me some mario kart, rock n roll and rpm! I remember playing R'n'R and getting decent enough that i would have a huge lead, turn around and shoot rockets across 1/3s and 1/2 the maps, flying across the screen and killing my friend. Wish i had a video tape of saying "holy crap, where that come from?" Too bad we cant get a kickstarter for them..

If you liked quake and stuff, then tribes ascend is definitely one you want to try out.

Oddworld Strangers wrath HD.

They upgraded the steam version for free. It's a lot of fun.

For racing perhaps check out

GRID
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Shift
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Dirt (1,2,3, etc)
Flatout (1/2)
TOCA Race Driver

Back