What external HDD for easiest data backup?

n64man120

2[H]4U
A neighbor of mine asked me to set up an external drive on their system, for data backup. They recently had their old drive crash, and lost documents related to their small construction buisness.

Being they aren't the most tech-litterate of people, what would be the easiest external drive I could buy and set them up with? I doubt a large drive is needed since it's mostly documents. I'd like to set it up for them with automatic nightly backups to the external drive, so it's hands-off for them. A good price-point is also a plus.

I like the Maxtor OneTouch series. They come with Retrospect, which is a bit tricky to figure out, but well worth the investment - it does cool things like differential backups very nicely, quickly, and with good compression. That's my suggestion.

BTW, when you create the backup job, it makes a file. Set the onetouch button to open that file rather than Retrospect, and it'll automatically launch the backup job rather than just the application. Then it really is a one-touch backup.

Back