• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What exactly is CLI.exe?

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
7,300
I've noticed over the past few days that windows occasionally open by them selves on my laptop, like a popup program, but tonight, windows started to open very rapidly (I had 69 firefox windows open, and they kept trying to open after that).

I used Process Explorer, and did a handel search for FireFox, and CLI.exe came up quite a few times with refrences to FireFox.exe.

Before I go and ravage my laptop, can someone explain to me what CLI is, and does?
 
not sure about what cli.exe is, but it sounds like you have spyware. I would run spybot S&D, and adaware...
 
Motley said:
not sure about what cli.exe is, but it sounds like you have spyware. I would run spybot S&D, and adaware...

I just ran AdAware, didn't find anything in the two scans I did (I scanned, updated it, and scanned again).

Spybot never works, or it begs for money and refuses to work without it, so I've never used it.

I used ProcessExplorer, but I don't see any errenous processes.

I wonder if I got this on the wireless LAN at University...
 
cli - cli.exe - Process Information
Process File: cli or cli.exe
Process Name: ATI Catalyst

Description:
cli.exe is installed alongside ATI's range of graphics cards with the Catalyst hardware driver range. Installs a easy-to-access taskbar icon for access to diagnostics features. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference


http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/cli/
 
You could try use the Microsoft anti-spyware program. It seems to work pretty well. In fact, if you go to the main MS page it is probably listed right there under their most popular downloads, and at this time it is still free, complete with updates to the definitions.

If you AV software hasn't picked up anything, you could try a program like AVG. Again, this program is free, but has served me well in finding things that Norton and the other big names have often missed.
 
I think it stands for Catalyst Link Interface. Anyways, it's safe.
 
Un4given said:
You could try use the Microsoft anti-spyware program. It seems to work pretty well. In fact, if you go to the main MS page it is probably listed right there under their most popular downloads, and at this time it is still free, complete with updates to the definitions.

If you AV software hasn't picked up anything, you could try a program like AVG. Again, this program is free, but has served me well in finding things that Norton and the other big names have often missed.
Yeah MS Anti-spyware is by far the best anti-spyware tool I've ever used, and I've used all the popular ones.
 
’m‚³‚ñ said:
It stands for Command Line Interface, according to ProcessExplorer.


Nah, that's the cli that everyone knows from Linux (shell) and windows systems (dos prompt). The CLI in question here is the ATI driver part. In theory you're quite right about cli=command line interface but in this case i think it's used for something else.
 
ScYcS said:
Nah, that's the cli that everyone knows from Linux (shell) and windows systems (dos prompt). The CLI in question here is the ATI driver part. In theory you're quite right about cli=command line interface but in this case i think it's used for something else.

I'll take a screencap of what ProcessExplorer reports
 
START-RUN-MSCONFIG and remove it from startup if it causing an error.

Just FYI.

I had it error everytime I booted into Server 2003.
 
smoothmove said:
START-RUN-MSCONFIG and remove it from startup if it causing an error.

Just FYI.

I had it error everytime I booted into Server 2003.

I don't think it's causing an error.

A friend and I spoke, and the windows opening themselves things is apparently a bug in windows.
 
Back
Top