What Exactly is a Wireless Access Point?

HardD99

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to connect one of my ReplayTV's to my network. the only way to connect to the ReplayTV is by a CAT5 connection, so im looking for the wireless alternative. i thought they were called bridge's where you connect the cat5 cable from the ReplayTV to the wireless unit then it connects to the wireless network. so will a wireless access point do this for me? or what do i need? also can u provide any links to maybe newegg? i try to shy away from lynksys because i have had nothing but problems with their wireless equipment so i currently use a Blitzz Wireless Super G 108Mbps Router.

A wireless access point is the infrastructure component. It acts like a wireless switch and can allow multiple wireless clients to connect to your home network. A typical home-use wireless access point also includes switch and router functions. The wireless access point/switch/router can be configured to share your Internet connection with all your clients, wired and wireless alike.

A wireless bridge typically serves one client (or a small workgroup) and allows that client's wired ethernet connection to "bridge" into the wireless access point.

In short, you need both a bridge and an access point. Plug the Replay's ethernet port into a wireless bridge, and that connects wirelessly to your wireless access point which in turn is the switch that connects all your home systems, and also provides Internet connectibity.

Note, hardwiring is inconvenient at times, but still is usually the most cost effective and hassle free way to connect devices that are sedintary. It's worth comparing the cost of wireless to the physical limitations that prohibit a wired connection.

There are quite a few bridges on Newegg, but you will have to choose what speed you want for it. If you go to newegg.com just go to the networking section and click on the section for Bridges. Also, Linksys does make really good stuff, in fact I'd rate them better than most of the other companies out there.

Deadlierchair said:
There are quite a few bridges on Newegg, but you will have to choose what speed you want for it. If you go to newegg.com just go to the networking section and click on the section for Bridges. Also, Linksys does make really good stuff, in fact I'd rate them better than most of the other companies out there.

yup they make really nice stuff, always looks pretty good. yet i spend over $100 on a router and wireless adapter, and after 3 hours of trying to get it to work and 2 hours of phone tech support and another 2 hours of a network friend comming over, noone could get the damned thing to work. so i take it back to wal-mart get another set, repeat everything, and still cant get it to work. so i take that one back to wal-mart and buy a Blitzz Super G router and adapter and 15min after i get home its up and running perfectly. i have liked lynksis in the past but all their wireless stuff sucks IMO.

so anyways, i need to get a bridge AND an access point? the bridge wont connect to my wireless router? i wish it was possible to run a hardwire to my main network but this would include me drilling though a cement foundation or running a cable along the floor for about 100 feet. :(

HardD99 said:
so anyways, i need to get a bridge AND an access point? the bridge wont connect to my wireless router? i wish it was possible to run a hardwire to my main network but this would include me drilling though a cement foundation or running a cable along the floor for about 100 feet. :(

Oh, your current wireless router is the same thing as an access point. And access point is just any place that provides the network wirelessly. You just need to get a bridge.

Back