what exactly does the dvi connector ...

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
and on card use for??

I am using it on my monitor... a dell flat screen right now...

:confused:

Not sure if I understand your question but the DVI-connector is used primarily for flat monitors. It can also be used as a VGA-connector if you were to use an adaptor.

DVI monitors have an advantage over VGA, but are much more expensive. Very few cards have dual DVI so the use of 2 DVI monitors is limited, hence the reason why alot of people want dual-DVI cards.

Digital Video Input, when your graphics card creates an image its digital, it must then convert it to analog to output to your crt monitor. Flatscreens, had to take the analog video through the wire and convert it back to digital. And some one along the line said, hey thats stupid... and dvi was born. =)

does it decrease the performance if I use the dvi connector for my vga monitor? I have the vga > dvi convertor connecting to the dvi connector on the card...

or should I just use vga on vga?

umcpgrad said:
does it decrease the performance if I use the dvi connector for my vga monitor? I have the vga > dvi convertor connecting to the dvi connector on the card...

or should I just use vga on vga?
It'd likely go the other way if you were to use an adaptor. Quality would decrease.

Back