What effects network speed?

Greatone123

[H]ard|Gawd
I've recently setup a small server for well whatever I need at whatever time.

Specs:
Ubuntu 8.04 x64
Xeon x3210
GA-P35-DS3L
8GB DDR2 800
80GB + 250GB
3x SMC 10/100 + Fiber NICs

I run 3x Call of Duty 4 Servers + SAMBA for 250GB share across all my PCs + F@H

3x SMC 10/100's Bonded for Load Balancing - 192.168.1.100
1x Realtek 10/100/1000 for VNC - 192.168.1.200

COD4 servers run off SMCs

when I want to move things to and from the SAMBA share it transfers horribly horribly slow, last time I tried to pull files it was moving them at 400 - 500 kb/s next I tried setting up FTP access to my 250GB maybe using FTP might work better... nope didn't make a difference...

am I doin something wrong? is there better options for what I'm doing? seperate file server rather then 1 general server? different ways of handling the share?

extra info: using Vista x64 on this PC which is what I'm putting/getting files with.. network setup consists of.... Netgear Wireless-N Gigabit Router, Linksys 5-port GB switch, trendnet 10/100 rack switch (for SMCs + other PCs on rack)

It could be your load balancing setup which causes the slow down, I have seen that before. It's going to depend on how you configured it.

Why not look at going just one gigabit rather than 3 10/100's?

Also, sounds like you are running this from home, you might want to look into a server colocation deal, if you are interested let me know.

well as for as the 3x 10/100's that's just because that's what I had laying around at the time. I plan on moving everything over to gigabit once I replace my netgear with a Untangle Gateway waiting for a good deal on newegg on those Intel 1000 GTs.

since my GB NIC built in is only used for VNC... is it possible to specify the gigabit connection for samba?

I'd personally just run everything over that gigabit card that you do have.

I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or if the transfer rate was normal or what... if I can get away with running everything off 1 realtek GB NIC then that's great...

Do most of the 1GB NICs perform the same or is it better to stick to the intel ones? if I can get out cheaper I'll try em... as long as they work under linux

I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or if the transfer rate was normal or what... if I can get away with running everything off 1 realtek GB NIC then that's great...

Do most of the 1GB NICs perform the same or is it better to stick to the intel ones? if I can get out cheaper I'll try em... as long as they work under linux

Its hard to tell you if the transfer rate is normal or not, thats why I suggested that you try running everything on one gigabit nic and check it out.

I would personally stick to intel nics when it comes to servers.

Back