What E-mail Client do you use?

u2slow said:
I prefer Thunderbird, and use it on my home PC.

I still need Outlook though - for 3rd party connectivity, and because I do freelance tech support (most offices seem to e on the MS bandwagon).

Has nothing to do with a bandwagon, personally, people who use thunderbird are on more of a bandwagon when both outlook express and outlook are more efficient to use then Thuderbird, personal opinion, i used thunderbird to give it to the man, but frankly it just lacks at every corner, it's SMTP server setup is clubmsy as well.

MS has done an excellent job with outlook and MS exchange is a very powerful mail server.

MrGuvernment said:
Has nothing to do with a bandwagon, personally, people who use thunderbird are on more of a bandwagon...

Bandwagons aside, MS presents the majority of the install-base. It very much sucks to help clients if you don't know and use the same products regularly.

I prefer Thunderbird. I find it more intuitive. I think what people find easier to use hinges very much on each individual's computing background.

I recently switched to Thunderbird because of an unfortunate bug which crashes SetPoint when I both have my IMAP account open and I get a new email in Outlook 2003. I loved Outlook '03, but I never really used all of its power.

Thunderbird surprised me, because it actually seems to be better at multiple account management. Getting mail sent from my IMAP account to show up in the sent folder was a pain involving rules (which is fortunately one of Outlook's strengths). Rules were also needed to make mail from my second POP account get dumped into a second data file. Thunderbird keeps my various accounts seprate and handles them well.

I miss the calendar and such from Outlook, but I never could bring myself to use them habitually anyway. I've been using Outlook for my mail since Outlook 2000, and I still love it to death, but for now Thunderbird has my business.

I use thunderbird, but I hate it. Every couple of months I try various mail clients out, hoping that a new version will suck less, but never have any luck. I work for a MSP, so I get a TON of email... up to 8 or 9000 per day, which I filter in a couple dozen mailboxes. I also get a TON of spam because I used to run some popular gaming websites and also posted to usenet with my real address... I literally get 600-1200 spams per day. I'm forced to use POP rather than IMAP because of this. I archive out a couple of mailboxes with >60k emails per week.

Thunderbird: reasonably fast with large amounts of mail. Feature-poor. Can lose its place at times forcing me to download 10,000 duplicate emails, but at least there's an extension to remove the dupes now. Quick search by subject is very useful. Built-in spam filtering is worthless.

Outlook2k3: I actually keep this open all the time for calendaring, we use MS exchange at work. For email, it's incredibly bloated and slow with mass amounts of email. Search is nice with addons only. Spam filtering isn't bad.

Outlook: not an option

Pocomail: cute, great interface, way too slow with big mailboxes

The Bat: crap interface, VERY feature-rich, unfortunately just too darn slow with big mailboxes. I would _love_ to use the bat, but I just can't.

Opera M2: don't make me laugh, what a piece of buggy garbage

Email for me is trying to find a client that sucks the least. So far, not too much luck. I wish someone would write an email app like uTorrent-- fast, feature-rich, and clean, with instantaneous indexed (db-driven) search. But I just don't see that happening... there aren't too many really heavy users like myself, and everybody is migrating to gmail anyway. A couple of years ago a startup made a program called Bloomba that was really promising, but then yahoo bought them out and killed it.

Oh and don't even get me started on copernicus or google desktop or whatever-- they are of NO help at all. They index email even after its been deleted, and I delete 1000s of emails per day.

schizo said:
Oh and don't even get me started on copernicus or google desktop or whatever-- they are of NO help at all. They index email even after its been deleted, and I delete 1000s of emails per day.

Try Outlook2k3 with Lookout. It's completely solved the indexing problem for me.

Right, searching is pretty much solved in outlook2k3 with addons, but it still doesn't handle large mailboxes well. Like, I click on a mailbox with 30k messages, and the program locks up for 15-20 seconds before it gets back to me, when thunderbird is only 2-3 seconds. And that's with local caching enabled, not going over the network to the exchange server.

Thunderbird for all my legitimate e-mail needs.
Outlook express for the junk (newsletter signups, "see if you won" crap, etc).

I use Squirrelmail most of the time, Gmail for lists etc. and Thunderbird when I don't want to use a webmail. I love Squirrelmail. It's may favorite webmail interface. I customize it a little bit though to get it just how I want, but even the default is cool.

Thunderbird is the only email client I've found that handles IMAP the way I want. I tried the experimental tabbed version of Thunderbird a while ago and it was even cooler. Most of the things I'd change about it have to do with the interface and a few of the setup dialogs and options.

M2 ( Opera's email client ) is light and has some neat features, but it treats IMAP like a pop3 account, so I don't use it. The whole idea of everything in one spot, showing up in multiple filter views is quite cool if you're using pop3, but if you're using imap, it's just screwy. Plus, the message list is in a page and the folder list is in a panel. That almost forces you to have the panel on the left, where I prefer it to float. Also, since the feeds use the mail interface, the view settings you use for your feeds also must be used for your mail. M2 has the most potential and I'd rather use it instead, but it's not ready for me yet.

I've tried Eudora and some of the all-text ones and they are just too annoying to use.

Work - Thunderbird via IMAP4 SendMail Server
Home - Thunderbird via Gmail's Qmail Server

I wrote a web-based one in perl and a standalone app in c#. have to say it was a great learning experience and fun. i also know my exploits and it isnt standardized like other clients whatsoever, which means, no one will care to try and screw it up :p

Back