What DVI cables do I need?

JSnake

n00b
My new computer is arriving soon but I need a set of DVI cables before it gets here. I'm hoping you can help me figure out which kind I need.

So the computer's video card (Radeon HD 4850) ports is DVI with three rows of eight pins just like any other port. They're not separated or anything. Then there's a cross on the other end with four pins surrounding it. My monitor has the same exact DVI port.

Now, which cables do I need? Every diagram I've seen doesn't have the cross, just a sideways pin surrounded by four other pins. Any help?

My new computer is arriving soon but I need a set of DVI cables before it gets here. I'm hoping you can help me figure out which kind I need.

So the computer's video card (Radeon HD 4850) ports is DVI with three rows of eight pins just like any other port. They're not separated or anything. Then there's a cross on the other end with four pins surrounding it. My monitor has the same exact DVI port.

Now, which cables do I need? Every diagram I've seen doesn't have the cross, just a sideways pin surrounded by four other pins. Any help?
just pick up a DVI-D cable (male to male) and you will be fine. I know it is confusing but don't worry about all that stuff. The extra pins are for different types of DVI like interlaced and analog etc. Just go with a DVI-D male to male.

Okay cool, thanks.

Also, will the cables carry an audio signal so that my monitor's built-in speakers will be used?

Okay cool, thanks.

Also, will the cables carry an audio signal so that my monitor's built-in speakers will be used?

No. DVI is video only. You will need a separate audio cable for the speakers.

Single link is all you need unless you plan to connect your cable in a 2560*1600 (30") monitor.

Yes so you just need a single link dvi-d and then your monitor should have a stereo mini jack like the one on your pc. You would just run the stereo mini cable from the monitor to the computer where you plug in speakers. There you have it video and sound!

Back