What due out this Fall ?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I haven't upgraded my system in a few years. Specs in my sig. My GTX-680 4GB still plays games well for me.

But I am looking forward to the Star Wars Battlefield game due out in November, and the engine looks pretty advanced over BF4. What top end Video Cards will be coming out before then ?

- Is there an nVidia GTX-1080 coming down the pipeline ?
- I heard AMD has super cards due out this Spring ? Is that their top for the year most likely ?

Off-topic, but what cool team based vehicle shooters are due out this year ? Anything else similar to the BattleField or Joint Op's series coming out ?

All we know for sure is the R9 300 Series from AMD will definitely be out by this Fall. As per reports we'll see a card in the scope of something like a GTX 980 Ti from Nvidia as well. I wouldn't expect a GTX 1000 Series card from Nvidia this year (depending on when they drop GM200) because 16nm isn't going to be available in mass quantities at all.

GTX 980 launch date: September 2014
16 months
GTX 780 launch date: May 2013
14 months
GTX 680 launch date: March 2012
15 months
GTX 580 launch date: November 2010
8 months
GTX 480 launch date: March 2010
21 months
GTX 280 launch date: June 2008

If you moved the GTX 480's launch back 6 months to September 2009, you'd see each generation getting launched 14 to 16 months apart. Thus would I expect to see a GTX 1080 (if they choose to call it that) between November 2015 and January 2016. Since they haven't done a December or January launch before, likely to reap the benefits of a holiday release, I would narrow my prediction to November 2015.

Nothing stopping them from doing another 21 month release in June 2016, though!

Since I just bought two 980 cards, hopefully nothing beyond the 3xx series from AMD (which I wouldn't consider anyway for many reasons) or a Titan-esque release from nVidia that would be out of my price range anyhow.

So looks like the GTX-980 will still be the king for nVidia even this Fall ? Besides some dual GPU card maybe ? But not a whole new next gen card this year.

How bout CPU / Motherboard wise from Intel ? My setup is a few years old, but will upgrade closer to Fall, if there's some new tech due out from Intel ? Or is what's out currently not really changing much until next year ?

There's rumors that there will be a GTX 980 Ti release in April 2015 and that the GTX 1080 would be pushed into 2016.

But the sites that run these stories are a bizarre selection including christiantoday.com, kdramastarz.com, kpopstarz.com and ecumenicalnews.com. I don't understand this migration of the video card rumor mill into religious sites and korean soap opera sites at all.

So looks like the GTX-980 will still be the king for nVidia even this Fall ? Besides some dual GPU card maybe ? But not a whole new next gen card this year.

How bout CPU / Motherboard wise from Intel ? My setup is a few years old, but will upgrade closer to Fall, if there's some new tech due out from Intel ? Or is what's out currently not really changing much until next year ?
The Haswell die shrink called Broadwell is expected to launch on desktop in the coming months. Nothing really new as far as features are concerned. Skylake is still listed as launching this fall, which is a new microarchitecture on the 14nm process used by Broadwell. Major changes coming on the Skylake platform include PCI-E 4.0, UniDIMM (DDR3 and DDR4 support on the same board), Thunderbolt 3.0, SATA Express, DMI 3.0, L4 eDRAM cache, integrated SHA extensions, AVX 3.2, ADX, and no more IVR. If you're looking to upgrade your whole platform it's probably a good idea to wait for Skylake.

I don't know man, those specs in your signature look pretty capable right now unless you want higher resolutions. If you have the "upgrade itch" it may not be worth it to upgrade now or even with Broadwell unless temperatures plummet.

I'm looking to move from Haswell to Skylake-E if there's a big enough gap in performance.

The Haswell die shrink called Broadwell is expected to launch on desktop in the coming months. Nothing really new as far as features are concerned. Skylake is still listed as launching this fall, which is a new microarchitecture on the 14nm process used by Broadwell. Major changes coming on the Skylake platform include PCI-E 4.0, UniDIMM (DDR3 and DDR4 support on the same board), Thunderbolt 3.0, SATA Express, DMI 3.0, L4 eDRAM cache, integrated SHA extensions, AVX 3.2, ADX, and no more IVR. If you're looking to upgrade your whole platform it's probably a good idea to wait for Skylake.

Thanks for the info :)

So this new Skylake is the next gen Intel processors due out this Fall ? Or is Skywell just new Intel motherboards to be sued with current Intel CPU's ?

Thanks for the info :)

So this new Skylake is the next gen Intel processors due out this Fall ? Or is Skywell just new Intel motherboards to be sued with current Intel CPU's ?
Skylake is the new microarchitecture, so yes it's the next-gen Intel processer or "Tock" in their Tick-Tock development philosophy. The platform chipset on motherboards that go with Skylake will be known as Sunrise Point.

Skylake is the new microarchitecture, so yes it's the next-gen Intel processer or "Tock" in their Tick-Tock development philosophy. The platform chipset on motherboards that go with Skylake will be known as Sunrise Point.

Cool thx.

I just read up on it, and today there's a new article saying that new stuff is delayed, will be out in Aug / Sept now.

So I will wait for that, and get whatever GTX-980 type VideoCard is out at that time, and be all set for the new Fall games. But sadly good quality PC game releases have been far and few between lately :( Where's Half Life 3, or a good competitor to BattleField but done high quality, or a next gen World of Warcraft MMO, that doesn't suck. I'd be down for for a WoW 2, just all new game engine and new worlds and smarter quest system.

Anyways, sorry to ramble on.

Back