• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what drives to get?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
1,628
currently I'm running on 2x1tb WD greens. When I bought them I was planning on upgrading an SSD drive for my OS but prices have taken a while to drop.

What I'm looking for is:
  1. 120GB OS drive
  2. 1TB apps drive
  3. 2x2tb storage drives

I have seen lots of recomendations for samsung F3 drives but nobody seems to sell them. Is the best bet a 1tb black and 2 x 2tb greens? I will be buying these drives over the next month or two. Are any new drives expected to come out in the near future? I would like it if I could get 1tb platter drives.

As for the SSD drive how are OCZ drives? I'm finding good prices in Canada on the OCZ Agility 3 120GB. I'm hoping to find something on sale around 160-180 CAD.
 
As for the SSD drive how are OCZ drives?

Significantly higher failure rates than Intel drives. However I do admit Intel has a known firmware bug in their 320s.
 
the price difference is significant enough, and it seems that I remember reading somewhere that the failure rate is only a few percent different between Intel and OCZ. I think performance is also pretty different.
 
you don't want an agility series drive. you don't want a force 3 series drive from corsair either. they don't perform well on random data. you do not want a sandforce drive with asynchronous nand, which both of those have, they are absolute garbage drives and use cheater numbers. they'll never hit the numbers they claim on real data, only pure zeroes.

for your ssd you want either a c300, an m4, and then from there either an intel drive or a sandforce drive that uses synchonus nand like a force gt.
 
I will look into the SSD more which will be easy do to the availability of information. I would appreciate more information on the other drives as nobody seems to be discussing traditional storage drives anymore.
 
you don't want an agility series drive. you don't want a force 3 series drive from corsair either. they don't perform well on random data. you do not want a sandforce drive with asynchronous nand, which both of those have, they are absolute garbage drives and use cheater numbers. they'll never hit the numbers they claim on real data, only pure zeroes.

for your ssd you want either a c300, an m4, and then from there either an intel drive or a sandforce drive that uses synchonus nand like a force gt.

Crucial makes the c300 and m4? What'st he difference?

What are your thoughts on the vertex 3. It uses synchronous nand iirc but I absolutely despise OCZ and also have heard the vertex 3 "super numbers" on all the review sites are bullshit max numbers like you're talking about and that the intel 510 beats it real world
 
You can`t really go wrong with the150GB WD Veliceraptor for under $100. Recommendation for SSD would be Intel and Crucial.
 
Crucial makes the c300 and m4? What'st he difference
Anandtech has a pretty good article about the Crucial m4 (aka Micron C400) that also discusses about the differences between the current and previous generation:
"Performance isn't dramatically different from the C300, instead it looks like Crucial played around a bit with firmware. "
-TLB
 
Crucial makes the c300 and m4? What'st he difference?

What are your thoughts on the vertex 3. It uses synchronous nand iirc but I absolutely despise OCZ and also have heard the vertex 3 "super numbers" on all the review sites are bullshit max numbers like you're talking about and that the intel 510 beats it real world

the c300 has better 4k reads, which loads small files very quickly. it's what most of your reads will be.

the m4 can write files faster but has a slower 4k read. it makes up for that by having a higher sequential read, meaning if you were to transfer a movie off of your ssd, it would be faster on an m4 vs a c300. if you had to load hundreds of 512 byte files though, the c300 would be faster.

personally I haven't even looked at the vertex 3 because I refuse to buy ocz. if you want a sandforce drive like the vertex 3, get a patriot wildfire or force gt drive. there are plenty of reviews up for them so you can try and figure out which is better, but they are mainly the same since they use the same controller. the max iops drive by ocz does seem to be the fastest, but very marginally, and a lot of people have bsod issues with them. corsair and patriot will bend over backwards for you when it comes to fixing stuff like this though, so you just have to decide who to go with.

a lot of people here swear by intel drives due to reliability, and I will admit I've had sandforce drives fail on me, but I haven't had any trouble with these 4 force gt's I'm using. there's a force gt vs 510 article at http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...orce-gt-120gb-ssd-review-crystaldiskmark.html but I don't know how much i trust their numbers, the 510 seems to really underreport in their tests.
 
Back
Top