What Drive to get Red, Green or Other

Revan654

n00b
I keep going back and fourth on what harddrive to buy for my new PC. It's between Western Digital Green or Red (6TB version). I'm planning to buy two or three of them. I have no plans to put the drives in a Raid, people I talked to say grab Red's even if you have no plans to use them as a Raid since they run cooler and have more reliability to them.

I keep hearing about Head Parking issues is this still any issue on Green, Does Reds have this issue as well?

In conclusion what drive does everyone suggest getting? I'm looking for quiet and reliable storage harddrives with 6TB storage.

You can lessen the head parking with WDidle3, Western Digital's utility. They used to have it on their site a while ago, I'm not sure about now. You can probably find it easily with a www search.

I would concentrate on drives with good warranties and make good backups of all of your important data. I would not count on "reliability" of any drive or manufacturer.

Get WD Se or Re+ drives, unless you want to loose your data, especially in non-raid, non-ZFS setup. Then do burn-in.

On and you're asking to loose your data if you buy drives from newegg! They ship the drives like you'd ship a cement brick.

Get WD Se or Re+ drives, unless you want to loose your data, especially in non-raid, non-ZFS setup. Then do burn-in.

On and you're asking to loose your data if you buy drives from newegg! They ship the drives like you'd ship a cement brick.

Maybe 5 years ago but my last purchase they were packed very well.

If the OP just wants huge bulk drives for storage then go with HGST NAS drives which come in retail packaging if you are worried about shipping.

SE drives do not have the SATA latch, they are for backplanes.
RE drives are $$ and overkill unless you are using hardware raid.

If the OP wants to remain with WD drives the RED Pro have a 5 year warranty and are more robust then the original RED.

OP go green if you plan to never use use raid. The big difference between the greens and reds are raid support, they both run at the exact same temp. You get a better warranty with the reds though.

I have both, I use the greens in a storage pool and the reds are in a raid array and only used to backup my important data in my pool.

He wants 6TB drives not 3TB.

Red and Green run at the same speed and same temp.

My advice is to buy drives as pairs : one for data, one for backup.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 5TB version of that (Toshiba) was $139 over the weekend at Amazon (now back to 141.99). I am not sure I would pay ~$100 more for 1 extra TB.

The 5TB version of that (Toshiba) was $139 over the weekend at Amazon (now back to 141.99). I am not sure I would pay ~$100 more for 1 extra TB.

Like I said, I'm waiting for the price to come down before I buy any 6TB Toshiba drives.

But the OP was also considering the 6TB WD Red and WD Green models, which are in the same $240 - $260 price range as the 6TB Toshiba.

Like I said, I'm waiting for the price to come down before I buy any 6TB Toshiba drives.

But the OP was also considering the 6TB WD Red and WD Green models, which are in the same $240 - $260 price range as the 6TB Toshiba.

OP should consider if its really worth the premium or just get two drives

It should be noted the RE drives also run higher power all the time, and produce a lot more heat.

With that said, I run mostly RE drives and SE :) But I also have 5TB RED and Toshiba ;) for the price hard to beat them.

You can lessen the head parking with WDidle3, Western Digital's utility. They used to have it on their site a while ago, I'm not sure about now. You can probably find it easily with a www search.

I would concentrate on drives with good warranties and make good backups of all of your important data. I would not count on "reliability" of any drive or manufacturer.

This!

I would use green drives for raid, no problem. However I would not use Seagate's 8TB archive drive for raid, because of extremely long rebuild time.

Whatever you get, give Seagate a big miss. I just decomissioned another one of their 7200rpm sata 3, Barracudas, 4th one in 3 years (only purchased one of those myself). I still have WD drives i bought 5 years ago that are still going hard, one external ive had for 7 years. My main storage drive is a 7200rpm 2tb black, and its very fast for a mech. I paid 120 for it in 2012.

Nobody has mentioned read retry?
Green drives will atempt to re-read a sector several times before giving up. If the drive is in a RAID array the raid controller will time out and drop the drive from the array.
Red Drives will re-read the data twice, and then move on. If the drive is not in a RAID array that data is lost.

Back