What DON'T you like about your 2405?

james111

Limp Gawd
Even if you think it's the perfect monitor... list at least one negative about this lcd.

It's not big enough! lol. 3007WFP arriving tomorrow :)

seriously though, it is big enough for most..

thisisglen said:
It's not big enough! lol. 3007WFP arriving tomorrow :)

seriously though, it is big enough for most..

in the words of Mr. Garrison "you go to hell, you go to hell and you die"

I don't have one, but i'm trying to deceide between getting the 21" gateway, the 2405, or waiting for the 2407. The only real downfall of the 2405 for me is the lack of HDCP compliance.

RegisteredToPost said:
Fast motion in games blurs a bit :(

Yep, overdriven PVA panels will definitely do that. They are probably the most common type in big LCDs. Be nice to see some more MVA panels get into bigger monitors. Anyways, I eventually sold mine because of this.

The blacks and stuff are great. I think if the 2407 comes out the writing was definitely on the wall. They picked a panel that would have good blacks and so on, and they didn't anticipate as many gamers buying them. Enter 2407. Hey for all the guys that think it's perfect, I guess perfect^2 is coming out then. :D Maybe they just throw in that damn DRM shit. That would suck. I loved mine but they need to work on that pesky blur. MVA's probably the best for gamers.

texuspete00 said:
"Yep, overdriven PVA panels will definitely do that" (blurring) .... "I eventually sold mine because of this". ..... "I think if the 2407 comes out the writing was definitely on the wall".... :D
Never having owned a 2405, I'm curious about your word "overdriven".
Are you saying the mfr pumped-up the 2405 at the factory---- so it's already "overdriven" when you first open the box, and turn it on?
Wouldn't overdriving a panel shorten its life?
Exactly what do you mean by 'overdriven'?
Also, re. the 2407, what IYO, will be diff between 2405 and 2407?
Thanks in advance for any reply. :D

Zak said:
Never having owned a 2405, I'm curious about your word "overdriven".
Are you saying the mfr pumped-up the 2405 at the factory---- so it's already "overdriven" when you first open the box, and turn it on?
Wouldn't overdriving a panel shorten its life?
Exactly what do you mean by 'overdriven'?
Also, re. the 2407, what IYO, will be diff between 2405 and 2407?
Thanks in advance for any reply. :D

It's just a term they use for the technology. At one point makers started throwing this term around because they claimed to have sped up the response time with tech they called "overdrive". The results of it is mixed, across the color spectrum, some transitions take longer than others. A lot of people don't understand how there monitor with a low ms rating still blurs etc. A 2405FPW can take above 20ms for certain transitions, whether it's "gray to gray" lives up to it's spec or not.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/06/nec_and_lacie_lead_on_professional_lcd_gear/page13.html

Don't know much about 2407 to be honest.

Yep, overdriven PVA panels will definitely do that. They are probably the most common type in big LCDs. Be nice to see some more MVA panels get into bigger monitors. Anyways, I eventually sold mine because of this.

You say that MVA would be the better technology for gamers but I read otherwise. PVA is actually an improved version of the MVA technology with better contrast ratio.

MVA was developed in 1998.

MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) was originally developed in 1998 by Fujitsu as a compromise between TN and IPS. It achieved fast pixel response (at the time), wide viewing angles, and high contrast at the cost of brightness and color reproduction.

Analysts predicted that MVA would corner the mainstream market, but instead, TN has risen to dominance. A contributing factor was the higher cost of MVA, along with its slower pixel response (which rises dramatically for small changes in brightness).

PVA (Patterned Vertical Alignment) is a more advanced version of MVA technology offered by Samsung. Developed independently, it suffers from the same problems as MVA, but boasts the best contrast ratios of any TFT technology.

I also want to add this little snipit from an article I found about PVA and MVA.

MVA and PVA matrices boast an excellent contrast ratio and viewing angles, but they are not very responsive: the response time degenerates quickly as the difference between the initial and final states of the pixel is decreasing. Thus, such monitors suit badly for playing games. They also have some problems with color reproduction – they are worse than IPS matrices in this respect, so MVA and PVA matrices both are unsuitable for working with color. On the other hand, thanks to the high contrast ratio, such monitors will be an excellent choice for working with text, line drawings, and will make a good home device, if you don’t need a high-speed matrix. Choosing between PVA and MVA, it’s better to go PVA as they have a much better contrast ratio and repeatability of quality from model to model. Moreover, if you’re targeting a 17” model, there’d be no choice at all since 17” MVA-based LCD monitors are not manufactured anymore. If you go MVA, pay attention to the level of black color (you have to turn the monitor on in a dim room for that, though), since matrices from different companies are greatly different in quality, not always providing a really high contrast ratio. MVA and PVA matrices can be easily spotted among the others by the lack of any artifacts when you take a look at them from a side – no violet hue in black areas and no darkening when viewed from below.

The article above is quoted from here -> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_27.html

skittzle said:
I also want to add this little snipit from an article I found about PVA and MVA.

The article above is quoted from here -> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide_27.html

Lets leave it to this then:

Want color quality, sharpness above all else? Go with PVA/overdrive panels.

What absolute speed for gaming? Go TN

Want all the above? Get an CRT

Want everything above including small profile? Wait for SED in 2007.

/end thread.

texuspete00, after doing some reading this morning about PVA & MVA limitations, I do see your point about the response times.

I do have a problem however with you saying that the 2405 is not worth the money for gaming. I think it is. I have owned this display for over a year now and I have never been unhappy with it.

I do not notice any bluring(it may be there) but my eye doesn't notice it. I think you would have to be very picky/anal to have a problem with it.

I play games like cs, fear, hl2, cod. These are all very fast games.

I never said this panel was 'perfect'. I did say however that this panel is great for gaming and I stand by that.

^ Np. Hey if you don't notice that's fine. I would have gotten use to it myself, but I didn't even know there were widescreen CRTs. Being seinsitive to blur, a CRT was better for me and me only.

My MVA comment is based mostly on the fact that one of the best gaming smaller panels is Viewsonic's VP191b. Even in there successors, you see inconsistency in the response time when graphed how THG does. To be honest I should read up on MVA more, but I got out of the LCD game for now after my 2405. You see, the VP191b is actually graphed right below the 2405FPW. You'll note that it stays pretty much under 16ms. Most importantly, it's flat. Never encroaches on the 20 ms territory. I thought this was kind of reiterated by some BEHardware article when they too were clamoring for essentially a BIG vp191b. People have posted how they seem to be bias, but I think they just tend to be more like me. I just think being picky is what forces things like SED to eventually come out too. Unless i got MVA confused with something else. As you see that article picks on both for response time. So at least pertaining to the 2405 and PVAs, you can see they take issue too.

It's really preference. I'm not out to make the 2405 seem bad. It's certainly not. I have only one complaint about it myself, and if you don't care or don't notice, all the better. There was certainly a lot to like there as well. There are things like funky geometry and annoying aperture grille lines on my FW900 CRT. If you come from the opinion that no display is yet perfect, it's all about what's your "deal breaker." What can you live with, and what is unacceptable.

Not having a computer fast enough to run all games at 1920x1200...

I can run most games at 1600x1200, but 1920x1200 is pushing it.

I wish I could lower its position even more.

I always have to move the panel in order to put the SD card. I also don't like having all those card readers taking drive letters.

I also don't like that it takes much longer to power up than the other screen I use, a LG 15".

Input lag. No other LCD I used has this input lag.

Send yours back then.

I get no input lag with 360 games or PC games. I think I would notice something like that.

Nope, several other people on this forum noticed it too. I kept it but I sold it to my brother who doesn't play FPS games anymore. I loved everything else about it. If you don't notice it good for you.

seniorpaul said:
The only real downfall of the 2405 for me is the lack of HDCP compliance.
Exactly, if the 2405 had HDCP, i would without a thought pick it up now.

texuspete00 whats this about widescreen CRTs??? I have never seen one in my life. Please oh please point us to a company that sells those! I would much rather have a widescreen CRT, especially if they have improved the clarity and accuracy of the pixels to be closer to that of an LCD crispness.

If widescreen CRTs really do not exist, then my LCD monitor hunt continues. I can't decide on getting the 2405 until i see it. Returning it to Dell at 15% restocking fee is too much cost to just check out the monitor. If anyone lives in or near Winnipeg, MB with the 2405 could i come over and check it out? That would totally be awesome!

Thanx you guys!

I bought one of those 24" widescreen CRTs off of Ebay.. I have the HP version though. It's great. :)

texuspete00 whats this about widescreen CRTs??? I have never seen one in my life. Please oh please point us to a company that sells those! I would much rather have a widescreen CRT, especially if they have improved the clarity and accuracy of the pixels to be closer to that of an LCD crispness.

If widescreen CRTs really do not exist, then my LCD monitor hunt continues. I can't decide on getting the 2405 until i see it. Returning it to Dell at 15% restocking fee is too much cost to just check out the monitor. If anyone lives in or near Winnipeg, MB with the 2405 could i come over and check it out? That would totally be awesome!

Thanx you guys!

I was reading in another thread how much people are likeing the Sony FW900 24" CRT. I would check into that one.

I sent my 2405FPW back due to input lag.

After arguing for a few days, Dell agreed to take the screen back and pay shipping costs.

Back on the 21" G520 CRT - eagerly waiting a Dell panel without input lag. Would have bought the 3007FPW but single input makes it pretty annoying to me.

Skychan said:

Thanx you guys!

Yep, I got the FW900. It's what I replaced my 2405FPW with. Going to use it until probably next gen displays. (SED etc. whatever looks best to me) :)

Ebay or atacom.com would be the best bet for one. The picture is probably better than most of the 21" trinitrons out there. They had a 24" model before the FW900. These are from around 2002 ideally, late model for CRT. One of the last great ones. $2k then too.

james111 said:
Even if you think it's the perfect monitor... list at least one negative about this lcd.

It could be bigger :D

Back