What does your Desktop look like?

Lumpus

Limp Gawd
Desktop 2021 July.png

I recently had a corrupted Win10 update and got ticked off enough to wipe/reinstall windows. White tiles are just games that haven't been relaunched since on the Steam games drive.
Utilities on left, then the columns of the wife's games, then my 'usual' games, then other games on the right.
Wallpaper came from some random Google image search for Steampunk 1440 wallpaper.

I don't want burn in either.
I'd be careful with all black if you frequently run non-maximized content on top of it such as a browser window. You might experience differential aging. That's when the pixels of your windows are wearing (because they're on), but the pixels of your black wallpaper surrounding those windows are not wearing (because they're off). The contrast of the worn areas of your screen compared to the non-worn areas can eventually show. This used to be a huge problem for OLED phones which had black navigation bars. Eventually they started coloring the navigation bars such that those pixels wear more evenly with the rest of the screen.

I think Wallpaper Engine with a wide assortment of wallpapers in a slideshow is the best option for OLEDs to ensure more even wear across the entirety of the screen. Plus a lot of their wallpapers are animated or otherwise move whenever you move the mouse, so even better.

I'd be careful with all black if you frequently run non-maximized content on top of it such as a browser window. You might experience differential aging. That's when the pixels of your windows are wearing (because they're on), but the pixels of your black wallpaper surrounding those windows are not wearing (because they're off). The contrast of the worn areas of your screen compared to the non-worn areas can eventually show. This used to be a huge problem for OLED phones which had black navigation bars. Eventually they started coloring the navigation bars such that those pixels wear more evenly with the rest of the screen.

I think Wallpaper Engine with a wide assortment of wallpapers in a slideshow is the best option for OLEDs to ensure more even wear across the entirety of the screen. Plus a lot of their wallpapers are animated or otherwise move whenever you move the mouse, so even better.
That makes sense, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately old habits are hard to break and 95+ percent of the time I compulsively maximize the window that I am working in. Like it's an 800x600 crt lol.

I own wallpaper engine ill set it up.

That makes sense, thanks for the heads up. Fortunately old habits are hard to break and 95+ percent of the time I compulsively maximize the window that I am working in. Like it's an 800x600 crt lol.

I own wallpaper engine ill set it up.
I also want to add that I've done no scientific studies on this, so whether or not my wallpaper slideshow fares better than an all black wallpaper (with windows floating on top) I will never know. So basically what I'm saying is, don't blindly follow my advice and do your own research. :)

If you're frequently maximizing content it's probably a non-issue. I'd be more concerned if you had a black wallpaper with a bright web browser window, unmaximized, sitting in the center of the screen for many hours every day.

Back