What does Vista do better than XP?

Vocal minority != "the demand".

Minority or not doesn't matter as they are a very influential minority. For every person that posts to web forums, Usenet etc. there are probably another 1,000 or more lurkers reading.

Was going to interject that Russinovich was not a Microsoft employee at the time he discovered the rootkit fiasco, but... someone beat me to it. :D

It doesn't matter, it really doesn't. I'm sure anyone with a brain will understand that comment, and it's true: it simply doesn't fucking matter.

Can we move on now?

.. Still annoys me though.
And please, quit being a jackass ok?.

LOL, yea zen you come across like a cocky little Vista supporter
and we all know Vista needs supporters that's for sure
I use XP because I don't need to wait for drivers for my (insert printer, scanner, fav peripheral here), and no it's not the manufacturers fault, it's Vista
they could have integrated drivers for the mainstream hardware (like XP) but no-ooo, they want you to take your time to find them when and if they get released, or use the assenine online tool to "auto" install, which is cludgy at best and a joke at worst.
As the post above said, the ability to use more resources to do the same tasks is what I have seen Vista excel at
oh, and Aero looks cool, but you can skin XP to look like it so...
anyway

If you never play a Blu-Ray disc in your computer you will know the DRM support is there. It will never affect you. You can play unprotected HD content all you want. You can rip a Blu-Ray, break the copy protection and still be unaffected by the DRM support.

All of the exploitable code to support the DRM is there and it has and will cause problems.

http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=124

I use XP because I don't need to wait for drivers for my (insert printer, scanner, fav peripheral here), and no it's not the manufacturers fault, it's Vista
they could have integrated drivers for the mainstream hardware (like XP)

It's impossible to include every single driver out there. Period. Even XP doesn't have alot of drivers included.

And for those of us that actually use and support Vista on a regular basis, many of us could attest to the fact that Vista has BETTER driver support (as long as it's semi-new... 3 years old hardware). I don't have to crack out the driver disk or go download something near as often anymore.

The fact of the matter is that if <printer manufacturer> wants their device to work on the latest and greatest, they've got to write a driver to do so.
Yes, it could be to Microsoft's advantage to do it for them to get more people to switch over to Vista if they supported it. But you could also look at it the other way: People won't buy that <printer manufacturer> if it won't run on their system. So it's very much to <printer manufacturer>'s advantage to write a driver.
Stores use the "Vista Certified" very much to sell hardware. If <printer manufacturer> doesn't write driver, they won't sell near as much.
Therefore, this argument is pretty stupid. Microsoft isn't losing sales off this deal, the manufacturer is.

Drivers are one of the single downfalls to Windows. Windows supports so much buggy legacy junk, it's ridiculous. Microsoft finally is dropping some of that old support in favor of a more stable system.

This are the types of criticisms I can't help but to find amusing. Clearly you haven't given Vista much of a look, if you truly feel this way. Vista includes as many, if not much more in terms of drivers. If it wasn't included in Vista, that means the vendor chose not to give the drivers to Microsoft. That becomes the responsibility of the vendor in question. Vista has been out for well over a year now, so there is no excuse for a vendor not to have Vista drivers. It is ridiculous to blame Microsoft at this point for a missing driver.

Minority or not doesn't matter as they are a very influential minority. For every person that posts to web forums, Usenet etc. there are probably another 1,000 or more lurkers reading.

Lurkers who don't vote don't count. If you want to make yourself heard, you speak up or you have NO say. Again, vocal minority is NOT "the demand".

All of the exploitable code to support the DRM is there and it has and will cause problems.

http://www.nynaeve.net/?p=124

These exploits also require social engineering to trick the user into installing drivers as admin to do this. Once you trick a user to install any malware as administrator the fight is over anyway. Of course, under Vista 64, it's even harder since drivers must be signed.

These exploits also require social engineering to trick the user into installing drivers as admin to do this. Once you trick a user to install any malware as administrator the fight is over anyway. Of course, under Vista 64, it's even harder since drivers must be signed.

I think the article is more about breaking DRM than UAC? But that's correct about UAC, anyway; as Raymond Chen has said several times, pretty much every UAC "exploit" involves being on the other side of an airtight hatchway, to paraphrase Douglas Adams. If only you can get the user to run code as an admin, you can.. run code as an admin! What a terrible exploit.

It's like saying that somebody's home windows are insecure because a burglar could get into the house by merely unlocking and opening the windows from the inside. (But if the burglar has to get inside in order to unlock the windows...)"

Back