What does this mean in real world terms

OutOfGum

Limp Gawd
My laptop HD can take a non-operational shock of 800G. What exactly would constitute 800G? A drop on the floor from 3 feet up? What does 800G equate to in real world terms?

it means if your drive isnt spinning, you have more than a snowball's chance in hell of your drive working if you drop it.

assuming its turned off and it falls off the couch onto carpet it will probably work, or even off a table onto a hardwood floor it would probably be ok depending on how it lands. I wouldnt take it outside and play frisbee with it on cement though. Calculating G forces depends on how far something falls, and what it hits. The G force is this case is the jolt it takes as it impacts the surface it is hitting.

Not all of them onlt the 75gxp series, the 85 series fixed the issues they had.

I have a toshi 5400rpm 60GB drive in my notebook. It's pretty speedy, got the 16MB cache, but I might be upgrading to a 7,200 RPM all the same. If I do I might use my current drive as an external drive, so its useful to know how much shock it will take when I'm travelling with it. I think 800 G's constitutes a pretty hard shock and it'll be able to take the gentle, and a few hard, bumps of travel. Even so, maybe an extended warranty is in order.

Back