What does Sandy Bridge do for high-end gaming?

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
This is the only question that I ask when I look at high-end computer parts and I have seen no answers. I read something about an on-die single PCI-E 16x lane but it doesn't look like there are any improvements in the spec (PCI-E 2.0) or the total number of lanes. The lane can be split for 8x/8x but that is actually worse than what X58 and even what better P55 chipsets can do.

More to the point, though, does the ~5 ghz overclocked speed that the K processors can pull widen the CPU bottleneck for GTX 580 Tri-SLI that exists with i7 processors?

Why does everyone think the 8/8 split is a bottleneck? Test after test has shown it's got minimal impact.

For tri-580.. sure, you'll probably want x58. But 8/8 is plenty for ANY dual card setup.

Last edited:
Id say it does quite a bit for high end gaming. Unfortunately its not really any more than the current i5 and i7 procs are doing.

IMO really high end gamers will still opt for X58 or LGA2011 when it comes out. SB is nice, but for those people that must have every FPS and PCIe lane, SB/P67 isn't a real choice. Works great for me though since I'm not running a crazy rig.

Back