what does it mean to run ram 1:1

my ram by default does 1.8v-2.0v at 5-5-5-15

when overclocking i read a lot people saying 1:1

what does that mean?

It means your front side bus and ram clocks are at the same mhz.

For example, a e6420 runs 266x8 at stock. Running ram at 1:1 means your are running DDR2-533 (266mhz but ddr is double). I'm running 400x8 with my ram at 400mhz (ddr2-800). If you run a 266mhz FSB and run at 2:3 ratio, then your ram will be at 400mhz. (266/400=2/3)

[F8];1031053018 said:
It means your front side bus and ram clocks are at the same mhz.

For example, a e6420 runs 266x8 at stock. Running ram at 1:1 means your are running DDR2-533 (266mhz but ddr is double). I'm running 400x8 with my ram at 400mhz (ddr2-800). If you run a 266mhz FSB and run at 2:3 ratio, then your ram will be at 400mhz. (266/400=2/3)

whats the point though? as long as it run right? or is it more efficient if they both run at the same speed?

how can i run 1:1 with my setup?

Abit Fatality F-i90HD motherboard
E6600
GSkillz 5-5-5-15 1.8V-2.0V

well since im only running 334x9 then there is no point to run ddr2800 right? should i lower it to 667? maybe thats why my comptuer was freezing from time to time.

or is it more efficient if they both run at the same speed?

When overclocking (because this is when strain placed upon your NB's memory controller is greatest), you need to keep your FSB and RAM synced to 1:1. If it is anything higher (4:5, 2:3) you flood the FSB and latencies are introduced... this can be a problem when you reach higher FSBs.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=155

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus...-redefined-guide-successful-overclocking.html

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

well since im only running 334x9 then there is no point to run ddr2800 right? should i lower it to 667? maybe thats why my comptuer was freezing from time to time.

correct. Or bump up the FSB to 400 and run memory @ stock. Your northbridge chip would require a voltage boost if you're experiencing system instability as a result of non-sync ratio. (though it would likely not require a boost if you sync to 1:1)

Yeah they like to… uhh… confuse the hell out of you.

Three terms to understand are QDR (Quad data rate), DDR (Dual Data rate), and SDR (Single Data rate).
North Bridge:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o142/MrWizard6600/680iDiag.jpg
The black box with a green outline reading "Nvidia Nforce 680i SPP is called by generic terms the "North Bridge (NB)". ALL chipsets for intel processors have NBs. The definition for the intel chipset's NB is "the usually first bridge below the processor which houses the memory controller". People incorrectly call the first bridge under an AMD processor a North Bridge although because all AMD processors have the memory controller on the Processor itself instead of the NB, it is not actually an NB, its just a bridge. The black green-outlined box below that which reads "Nvidia Nforce 680i SPP" is called the "South Bridge (SB)"

Intel’s "Front Side Bus (FSB)" is the bus running from the north bridge to the CPU and back. It's actually four busses running at 266Mhz, so it transmits the same amount of data as a single 1066Mhz Bus. So the correct wording would be 1066MHz QDR (Quad Data Rate), 266MHz SDR (Singe Data Rate). Most Pentium 4's run an 800MHz QDR, so that makes 200MHz SDR.

because Intel decided to lay the task of controlling memory on the north bridge (instead of on the processor like AMD does), the memory speed has to be a factor of the FSB SDR speed. It seems the more obscure the ratio, the harder it is on the memory controller. Countless overclockers had told us that the most stable way to overclock is to lock your Memory Bus: FSB at 1:1. The memory controller actually has quite a daunting task, I donno how it works.

I actually much prefer AMDs "reduce the clocks to access the system ram by putting a memory controller on the processer" strategy over Intel’s "awww f*** it lets just make the L2 bigger" strategy. Although, Intel’s larger cache strategy looks a whole lot better in the public face... I mean... common, you knew that Pentium D with 4Mb of L2 looked way better then that crappy Manchester with its mere 1mb of L2, even though the benchmarks proved you wrong.

Yeah they like to… uhh… confuse the hell out of you.

Three terms to understand are QDR (Quad data rate), DDR (Dual Data rate), and SDR (Single Data rate).

Intel’s "Front Side Bus (FSB)" is the bus running from the north bridge to the CPU and back. It's actually four busses running at 266Mhz, so it transmits the same amount of data as a single 1066Mhz Bus. So the correct wording would be 1066MHz QDR (Quad Data Rate), 266MHz SDR (Singe Data Rate). Most Pentium 4's run an 800MHz QDR, so that makes 200MHz SDR.

because Intel decided to lay the task of controlling memory on the north bridge (instead of on the processor like AMD does), the memory speed has to be a factor of the FSB SDR speed. It seems the more obscure the ratio, the harder it is on the memory controller. Countless overclockers had told us that the most stable way to overclock is to lock your Memory Bus: FSB at 1:1. The memory controller actually has quite a daunting task, I donno how it works.

I actually much prefer AMDs "reduce the clocks to access the system ram by putting a memory controller on the processer" strategy over Intel’s "awww f*** it lets just make the L2 bigger" strategy. Although, Intel’s larger cache strategy looks a whole lot better in the public face... I mean... common, you knew that Pentium D with 4Mb of L2 looked way better then that crappy Manchester with its mere 1mb of L2, even though the benchmarks proved you wrong.

i kinda get it.

well for now my core speed is 3004mhz
bus is 334mhz
rated fsb is 1335.2mhz
DRAM is set to "by SPD" you think it would be best if i changed it to ddr2-667? so half of 667 is exactly 333.5mhz or 334mhz. would i be running 1:1 then?

my northbridge is set to 1.8v... so inorder to get the northbridge faster i have to increase the voltage right? or should i not touch the northbridge voltage?

When overclocking (because this is when strain placed upon your NB's memory controller is greatest), you need to keep your FSB and RAM synced to 1:1. If it is anything higher (4:5, 2:3) you flood the FSB and latencies are introduced... this can be a problem when you reach higher FSBs.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=155

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus...-redefined-guide-successful-overclocking.html

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=160

correct. Or bump up the FSB to 400 and run memory @ stock. Your northbridge chip would require a voltage boost if you're experiencing system instability as a result of non-sync ratio. (though it would likely not require a boost if you sync to 1:1)

how do i determine northbridge voltage? my guess is to bump it one level up and run orthos right? but what happens if i bump the voltage and the the computer explodes or something.

DRAM is set to "by SPD" you think it would be best if i changed it to ddr2-667? so half of 667 is exactly 333.5mhz or 334mhz. would i be running 1:1 then?
yea. you may be able to bump up your FSB to 400, which would also mean you run 1:1 but will have a higher CPU speed.

my northbridge is set to 1.8v... so inorder to get the northbridge faster i have to increase the voltage right? or should i not touch the northbridge voltage?

I wouldn't touch it... you could probably undervolt it if you run 1:1 @ 333 mhz..

mrwizard made a good post up there too ^^

HOLY CRAP I just realized you're running an AMD system. EVERYTHING I posted up there applies to Intel based systems.

oh since my fsb is 1335.1 then divde that by 4 i get 333.5mhz which is equivalent to my CPU speed 334mhz! thats running 1:1 except my ram is set to "by SPD" which i dont know what that means.

yea. you may be able to bump up your FSB to 400, which would also mean you run 1:1 but will have a higher CPU speed.

I wouldn't touch it... you could probably undervolt it if you run 1:1 @ 333 mhz..

mrwizard made a good post up there too ^^

HOLY CRAP I just realized you're running an AMD system. EVERYTHING I posted up there applies to Intel based systems.

yeah my motherboard only goes down to 1.80v at its lowest. well if i run my bus speed at 400mhz then i would require to bump the voltage on the CPU which could possibly damange my chip since i have a stock cooler. maybe i need an upgrade the heat sink also.

shit man you guys dont even know. JUST THIS THREAD ALONE i have learned sooooooo much from the both of you guys in like 20 mins. i have been trying to understand this stuff for the past 2 days.

you guys did an awesome job at explaining this to me.

thank you buffbiff21 and MrWizard6600

ok so my next question... safe to run it at 400mhz to achieve 3.6ghz? whats the normal voltage on the cpu suppose to be so i dont accidently screw something up. i have been looking at the overclocking database spread sheet and a lot of people are getting mixed voltage numbers. im assuming this depends on my motherboard then right? or maybe the batch of the cpu just changed or something.

i kinda get it.

well for now my core speed is 3004mhz
bus is 334mhz
rated fsb is 1335.2mhz

667 is not actually 667, is 666.666...
your bus is not actually 334, its 333.333....
intel cleverly designed everything to be a nice multiple of everything else.

Yes, if you were to change your speed to DDR 667, it would cause you to run 1:1.

But I'm intrested to know what your mainboard and processor are.

changing voltages is only done to increase stabillity. Increasing voltages generally increases a max stable overclock, but no effect on any one given speed (ex a 3.4GHz overclock with NB Voltage 1.4v will give the same performance as a 3.4GHz overclock with NB voltage at 1.7V).

edit 1: ookk hold on here lemme re-read whats already posted....

edit 2: oook so, If the system your overclocking is the AMD one in your rig you can set your memory speed to whatever you want because your memory has a B-line to the processor.

If your on the intel system:
If you leave your BIOS at stock and plug in some DDR2 800, it should automatically set you to 3:1 (some bios's might call it 1:3), but anyways it 3:1 is a nice ratio, and it would take an essay to explain why, but you will see minimum strain on the memory controller if you went with DDR2 800.

If it's an E6600 it should be at sock 266MHz X 9 for 2.39GHz. If you've overclocked to 333MHz X 9 for 3.00GHz, your memory is probibly running the same ratio (5:4) as it did before, causing your ram to run at 416MHz (or DDR 833 :eek: ). this is probibly whats causing your instabillity. if you set it at 1:1 it will bring the memory speed down to 333MHz (or DDR 667 :)).

So yes, It IS a good idea for you to lock 1:1 memory:FSB ratio.

667 is not actually 667, is 666.666...
your bus is not actually 334, its 333.333....
intel cleverly designed everything to be a nice multiple of everything else.

Yes, if you were to change your speed to DDR 667, it would cause you to run 1:1.

But I'm intrested to know what your mainboard and processor are.

changing voltages is only done to increase stabillity. Increasing voltages generally increases a max stable overclock, but no effect on any one given speed (ex a 3.4GHz overclock with NB Voltage 1.4v will give the same performance as a 3.4GHz overclock with NB voltage at 1.7V).

edit: because your on an AMD system, you can run your memory speed at whatever the hell you want, because that speed doesn't ever have to be converted because it never has to change busses, because it has a direct B-line to the processor

I posted everything based on an intel system because the first poster based everything on an intel system. :p.... next time ill look b4 i leap.

my board an abit fatality f-i90hd
and my cpu is an e6600
stepping 6
revision b2
model F
ext Model F
Family 6
ext Family 6

thats the info i got from cpuz

ok iv edited my post once again... lol.

lets just slooow down the posts per second here....

If your on the intel system:
If you leave your BIOS at stock and plug in some DDR2 800, it should automatically set you to 3:1 (some bios's might call it 1:3), but anyways it 3:1 is a nice ratio, and it would take an essay to explain why, but you will see minimum strain on the memory controller if you went with DDR2 800.

If it's an E6600 it should be at sock 266MHz X 9 for 2.39GHz. If you've overclocked to 333MHz X 9 for 3.00GHz, your memory is probibly running the same ratio (5:4) as it did before, causing your ram to run at 416MHz (or DDR 833 :eek: ). this is probibly whats causing your instabillity. if you set it at 1:1 it will bring the memory speed down to 333MHz (or DDR 667 :)).

So yes, It IS a good idea for you to lock 1:1 memory:FSB ratio.

dudeeee im soo getting educated right now!!! im excited >.< :cool:

so if my DRAM spec options only offer "by SPD, 533, 667, 800" then its best just go run 1:1 with one of those settings. i guess the highest i can go here would be 400mhz*9=3600
then my ram would be 1:1 with the CPU and my northbridge should still run at 1.8V and it will be running at 1600mhz

woow! coool i get it. this sounds great and all to be running 3600mhz but then i will suffer HOT temps and maybe higher voltage on the cpu.

dude either way ill stick to running at 3ghz for now and take it one step at a time. i'll drop my ram speed to 666.33 which should make system happy = )

oh theres not reason to bump my cpu voltage any higher than stock at 3.0ghz right?

ook.

your motherboards weird. if you have some other option that allows for memory fsb ratio of 1:1, that should overide whatever you have is "Dram speed". I think the Dram speed is just if everythings stock and somehow your motherboard gets the ram speed wrong (ie you installed some DDR2 800 and its telling you its DDR2 533) you can use that option to correct it.

BUT! if your locked 1:1, it doesnt matter, your Ram DDR speed will be twice your SDR FSB speed, aka, your ram SDR speed will the same as (1:1) your FSB SDR speed.

but now im curious to know what are your FSB overclocking options in bios? it allows you to input any number between 0 and 2500 type-of-thing? or does it only allow incriments of 66MHz?

i got these images off another website but this is my motherboards bios. these arent my settings though but there isnt anywhere in the bios that allows me to lock everything 1:1

12160036613ldw2.jpg

12160155955luc9.jpg

12161323196lti9.jpg

12160415202lfq2.jpg

12160417431lgz5.jpg

12160418180lua8.jpg

ook.

your motherboards weird. if you have some other option that allows for memory fsb ratio of 1:1, that should overide whatever you have is "Dram speed". I think the Dram speed is just if everythings stock and somehow your motherboard gets the ram speed wrong (ie you installed some DDR2 800 and its telling you its DDR2 533) you can use that option to correct it.

BUT! if your locked 1:1, it doesnt matter, your Ram DDR speed will be twice your SDR FSB speed, aka, your ram SDR speed will the same as (1:1) your FSB SDR speed.

but now im curious to know what are your FSB overclocking options in bios? it allows you to input any number between 0 and 2500 type-of-thing? or does it only allow incriments of 66MHz?

it allows me to input values between 0-500
so in the bios i have it set to 334*9 which gives me that value of 3004mhz

i dont see anything in the bios that says FSB i guess it does it automatically because CPU Zshows everything running 1:1

BUS: 333.8mhz
Rated FSB: 1335.2/4=333mhz
RAM: 333.3mhz 5-5-5-15-21 2T FSB:DRAM is asynch

what options does it give you for ratios? Here are some common ones and there resulting speeds, based on your 333Mhz FSB (SDR):

1:1 is 333MHz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 667 (normally used for DDR2 533)
5:4 is 416Mhz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 833 (normally used for DDR2 667)
3:2 is 500MHz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 1000 :eek: (normally used for DDR2 800)

this bios really isnt designed for overclocking.

i made two major bloopers in privious posts:
1: the E6600 has stock multiplier of 10, not 9.
2: the default ratio for DDR2 800 is 3:2 NOT 3:1. sorry.

ok. If you want 1:1 what I think you need to do is set your "Dram Spec" to DDR 533. Under stock conditions this will cause a 1:1 ratio. You should then be able to increase the "external clock" which is actually the FSB SDR to 333Mhz. Now, the page might refreash the "Dram Spec" numbers to work with the new ratios, in which case the "DDR 533" you now selected will read "DDR 667". On the other hand, it may simply stay the same.

what options does it give you for ratios? Here are some common ones and there resulting speeds, based on your 333Mhz FSB (SDR):

His board groups the memory ratios based on various chipset straps. (after you input the FSB from 0-500, you choose the strap. :) The following is Tony's guide to the P5B Dlx board (Intel P965 chipset) and although the OP's board runs on a different chipset, this article will shine light on chipset straps:

attachment.php

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

1:1 is 333MHz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 667 (normally used for DDR2 533)
3:2 is 500MHz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 1000 :eek: (normally used for DDR2 800)
5:4 is 416Mhz, so that would run your ram at DDR2 833 (normally used for DDR2 667)

i double checked my bios and there is nothing that says ratio. if i go to my DRAM options all i get is the settings for

BY SPD
DDR2-533
DDR2-667
DDR2-800

no ratios are given.

simply put your bios isnt designed for overclocking. Sounds like you need a pin mod to do some overclocking, which is pretty Hard core stuff.

If you want an uber-overclocker pick up a gigabyte P965 DS3 from Frys or newegg, as I understand it there going for around $100 right now.

but so far if my fsb is at 1333 and my bus is at 333 and my ram is at 667mhz then by definition i should be running at 1:1 right? if so i think i can be happy with this.

but so far if my fsb is at 1333 and my bus is at 333 and my ram is at 667mhz then by definition i should be running at 1:1 right? if so i think i can be happy with this.

yeah for sure, all those numbers line up. Boards like yours are a little more complicated the most... I had a few facts wrong about em, but yeah, your overclock should be very stable, maybe requiring a minimal increase to Vcore and NB Voltages.

ok i've been running orthos for 8 hrs now everythign seems to be good.

everything is all runned 1:1
bus: 333 x 9 = 3004mhz
ram:ddr2 667 @ 5-5-5-15
quad pumped fsb: 1333
cpu voltage: stock 1.325v
Northbridge Voltage: 1.80v

i kinda like the idea of running 1:1 where everythign is in sync. what other good ratios are okay to run at? say if i increase my bus speed higher then my fsb goes higher.

If I wanted to run my system at 3.2ghz or 3.4ghz what should be my ratio then?

Back