What does [H] think of the grados sr80's

hollandbk

Weaksauce
I'm in need of some new head phones to use for my pc mostly music, and very little gaming. Sound quality with a variety of musical genres is number one for me and i've been recommend the sr80s for my price range (70-130) have any of you had any experience with these?

I'll try to remember to let you know later. I have a pair of SR-60s coming today provided the shipping company is on schedule. Mids are supposed to be very good. I think they were on the "um, not so much" list for gaming.

Good if you like the sound signature. Personally, I think it's a little bright. Also uncomfortable after some time depending on the individual.

I like my Grado SR-80s a lot. They are mostly like the SR-60s, but with different ear cups and a beefier cable. Most people seem to love 'em or hate 'em because of the "retro style" and comfort issues. I have no issues whatsoever as they are easily adjustable. Realize that they are open-back. Other people will hear your music if close by. They have a deep and rich midrange sound. Not muddy, just very detailed and balanced. This is is the "Grado sound" the company is known for. You pay few ducats for the quality you get. I use mine for music listening, composition, and gaming. No gripes about SQ in gaming.

I've been told that it's a good idea to stick with the 60s or hold out for one of the higher models (barring a good deal on used etc). I don't know if that's valid or not, but it seems like good advice if they're mostly like the 80s. At least if you're considering an eventual upgrade.

Good if you like the sound signature. Personally, I think it's a little bright. Also uncomfortable after some time depending on the individual.

+1, hopefully a friend has these so you can try these out, not everyone is a fan of the fit or bright sound signature. I personally prefer a darker signature, hence my Sennheiser HD650s.

There ya go, it's all about personal preference. I just wish you could try before you buy headphones online. Where's the transporter when you need it?

some comfort issues, very good for music , runs well from portable devices, not great for gaming

Sounds good sense music will be what they are used for most, some very light gaming late but I mostly have speakers for that, is there anything that can be done about the comfort issues

some peeps put sennheiser pads on them. honestly- unless u have sensitive ears and wear them for 4 hr stretches comfort wont be an issue. the pads are a stiff foam material

So far I don't really have anything new to add beyond that the pads aren't all that bad...comfy, if a bit warm coming from circumaurals (and I'm usually hypersensitive about phones rubbing against or pressing on my ears). The mids are great, the highs are indeed a bit bright and tiring. Bass is there, a little muddled and the extension is limited (but I'm comparing them to closed cans & Stax in saying that, so I'd take some salt along...).

Apparently some versions have the 1/4 jack screw-on and some don't...mine doesn't, so I need to figure out where my 1/8 --> 1/4 adapter went before I can try these with tubes. :p

Not bad off a T4 though. And if the SR-80 cord is "better" it must be made out of adamantium, because I've seen cords that weren't this thick & sturdy on phones in the $300 range (seen better too, but nothing really wrong with it).

...and until I find that adaptor, I'm going to go back to the DT770s out of solid-state. The Grados seem a little too muddled + bright for me so far after the clarity of some other phones I've tried. We'll see later, plus sometimes tubes make it a completely different story vs SS.

I have had a pair of the SR-80s for about 5 months and love them. I have never had any comfort issues and always wonder why the consensus is that they are uncomfortable.

I've had mine for about a year and i love em, they do get a bit uncomfortable when wearing for more than a few hours.
Gaming sounds, just fine imo.

Great sound, horrible comfort. Sold mine after a year of barely using them.

I've been told that it's a good idea to stick with the 60s or hold out for one of the higher models (barring a good deal on used etc). I don't know if that's valid or not, but it seems like good advice if they're mostly like the 80s. At least if you're considering an eventual upgrade.
This is true. I'd pick SR60s for entry level, SR225s for low-mid range, RS2s for mid-range, and RS1s for high end (Out of their current offerings that is). GS1000s aren't my cup of tea and the PS1000s are supposed to be similar. As for the SR80s, they aren't good value to me and the SR125s and SR325/325is are too bright for me.

I like my Grado SR-80s a lot. They are mostly like the SR-60s, but with different ear cups and a beefier cable. Most people seem to love 'em or hate 'em because of the "retro style" and comfort issues. I have no issues whatsoever as they are easily adjustable. Realize that they are open-back. Other people will hear your music if close by. They have a deep and rich midrange sound. Not muddy, just very detailed and balanced. This is is the "Grado sound" the company is known for. You pay few ducats for the quality you get. I use mine for music listening, composition, and gaming. No gripes about SQ in gaming.
I might buy the GS1000i with my tax return.

This is true. I'd pick SR60s for entry level, SR225s for low-mid range, RS2s for mid-range, and RS1s for high end (Out of their current offerings that is). GS1000s aren't my cup of tea and the PS1000s are supposed to be similar. As for the SR80s, they aren't good value to me and the SR125s and SR325/325is are too bright for me.
Why no like the GS1000?

Back