• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What Does 256 Cores Look Like?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Monitoring your quad-core desktop processor with Windows task manager is a snap but, as the world moves towards processors with many more cores (even thousands of cores), how will you monitor your processors’ performance? Intel’s Doug Holland has an interesting blog post today that addresses this very issue explaining how Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 group logical processors into sub groups so that displaying 256 cores in the Windows task manager will not require a 30” monitor. Yes, I said 256 cores:

It is most likely true that there aren't many of us who have access to a machine with 256 cores at the moment and unfortunately neither do I. I received the following screen shot of the Windows task manager showing 256 cores running on Windows Server 2008 R2 which uses the same kernel as Windows 7, both of which can now accommodate 256 logical processors.
 
I wonder what tool they used to get that much load on every core. Pretty impressive stuff. :D
 
I wonder if that'll require more licenses, like the "1-2CPU" XP licenses :)
 
damn, beat me to the crysis joke LOL

seriously tho, wow.... Imagine how that thing folds...
 
damn no edit

but [H] should use this computer for GPU benchmarks, so everyone could agree the CPU isnt holding back the video card anymore
 
needs about 64 gpus to go along with that and then I will be "future proof" as the kids say. :D
 
FYI both win7 7000 and vista boot in exactly 42seconds to desktop for me. Vista was on a 160gb drive and win7 was on a 400gb. I start counting once the bios screen disappears right before i see the windows logo fade in. I really haven't noticed any difference in speed. System specs below.
 
I think MS is trying to market their windows server 2008 and windows 7 as future proofed. What we see here is MS believing that processor logic cores are are going to scale up quite rapidly even in mainstream use.
 
About time.. I hate it how the task manager fills the entire screen on my 640-core system..

Oh never mind, I forgot to dial in 2019 on my time machine before making this post.
 
needs about 64 gpus to go along with that and then I will be "future proof" as the kids say. :D
except that current gpu's have 800 cores (ATi), and 280 (NVidia)
...not quite the future proof you were looking for.

btw, does this mean each process can run in a core by itself, and if it needs extra threads there are more than enough cores available to handle extreme multitasking without worrying about all the cores even being used...if windows 7 can handle multitasking well by efficiently using mutli-core processors, it should be better than anyone is hoping for (btw, i have a "friend" that downloaded the windows 7 beta, and he tells me he runs it on an 800MHz PIII, 512 SDRAM, and an FX5200 and it runs smoothly. Can't believe how long it took microsoft to realize "hey, we probably shouldn't include a tablet service running on every pc, even if it doesn't have one...lets get rid of ALL of our useless services and see how windows runs...")
 
Imagine the memory bandwidth requirements to feed that many cores...could that be a reason why it's around 90% usage rather than 100%?

Die shot, please! :p
 
linux can run 2048 cpu's......


nothing to see here, move along.

well it looked abit sweet compared to my 32 cores :p (my home server :p)
 
It's only a matter of time before Microsoft implements a "General CPU Pool" into the Task Manager.
 
I think MS is trying to market their windows server 2008 and windows 7 as future proofed. What we see here is MS believing that processor logic cores are are going to scale up quite rapidly even in mainstream use.
Microsoft released Windows HPC Server 2008 for applications like this. The fastest supercomputer outside of the US uses it (it has 30720 cores). Windows Server 2003 has supported systems like this for a long time too (64 processors and 2TB of RAM...here is an example: http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/...imitsofWindowsPhysicalMemory_878B/image_4.png). Even Windows 2000 supported 32 processors.
linux can run 2048 cpu's......


nothing to see here, move along.

well it looked abit sweet compared to my 32 cores :p (my home server :p)
32 core home server? You'd be the first person I've seen here with an 8-way system. You should post pics if that isn't a joke, though I would be surprised if it isn't...
 
Microsoft released Windows HPC Server 2008 for applications like this. The fastest supercomputer outside of the US uses it (it has 30720 cores). Windows Server 2003 has supported systems like this for a long time too (64 processors and 2TB of RAM...here is an example: http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/...imitsofWindowsPhysicalMemory_878B/image_4.png). Even Windows 2000 supported 32 processors.

32 core home server? You'd be the first person I've seen here with an 8-way system. You should post pics if that isn't a joke, though I would be surprised if it isn't...

quad sun ultrasparc t2 8core?!
 
FYI both win7 7000 and vista boot in exactly 42seconds to desktop for me. Vista was on a 160gb drive and win7 was on a 400gb. I start counting once the bios screen disappears right before i see the windows logo fade in. I really haven't noticed any difference in speed. System specs below.

Strange with raided Velociraptors it takes me 40 seconds in Vista, and only 25 in Win 7 (1700 build)
 
The hardware is HP Superdome with 128 CPUs and HT on IIRC.
It is actually 64 dual-core processors with HT (well, actually something very similar to HT). The screenshot I posted is also from an HP Superdome server.
 
Back
Top