What do you user your pentium for?

Shnorque

n00b
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
52
As the title suggest. Just interested to know what people do with there nice high Ghz rigs?

My current rig is used for the net, and occasionally Trackmania Sunrise, would like to upgrade soon.
 
Internet, AIM, bittorrent, burning CDs (soon to be DVDs hopefully), SNES emulators, word processing junk, occasionally playing a round of Quake3, Unreal Tournament (the original, still the best FPS ever made IMO), or FarCry (it looks so purdy), but I game on it maybe once a month if that (eh consoles are far better for games), 99% of my time it is downloading random cool junk. Once I start getting really into producing DVDs and doing a bit of MPEG conversion and video editing I may need to upgrade my proc, but for all I do now, it is fine.

System is:
P4 2.4 Northwood @ 2.7 (highest it will run stable, probably something else in the system holding it back, but I've been to lazy to figure it out)
Asus P4PE Mobo
ATI 9500pro Graphics Card
TDK 52X CD-burner (hey, do any DVD burners burn CDs this fast?)
512 Megs DDR333 RAM
350 gigs HD space.

Next upgrade? DVD burner and another 640 gigs of HD space (hell, I might as well go a little bit more to get into the TB club...) Gotta have your priorities in order...
 
usually 2 folding sessions, net, games, video player/processing

Intel 3.0Ghz HT Prescott
 
mostly gaming and folding, used to do video encoding, will get back at that when i hack the tivo, but with a different setup, changeing to dothan because my focus's changed
 
Gaming, Internet, Music. I really enjoy the smooth multitasking a fast P4 w/ HT can provide while browsing, listening to music, downloading whatever, and running various antivirus/antispyware programs in the background.
 
Apache, DNS, DHCP, Squid, Racoon (IPSec VPN), MySQL, PHP.

I use my AMD machines for development, however.
 
Video ripping/encoding/re-encoding, Photoshop, Surfing, email, Music ripping/encoding/re-encoding.....

And I can do this WHILE playing any game!!!! Gotta love 2 physical/4 logical CPUs!
 
Internet, cd ripping, gaming, gaming, um, gaming, file storage, streaming audio, streaming video. Pretty much everything you can do with a comp. And I fold too.
 
F@H requests only 1 instance of F@H per physical processor, you guys should fold for the science, not the points.

I use mine for everything a normal computer does... does it nicely.
 
Just wanna say thanks to those that donate their time to the F@H or UD project. What a great way to use you pentiums.

 
my old p4 2.4 rig i use as a file server and a downloading rig. cuz its consumes less power then the rig i have below, and its more quiet, thus i can sleep
 
My pentium sits in the corner wasting space. 133 Mhz is too slow for me.

My P4 though, is used for photo editing, programming, and watching DVD.
 
Multimedia, BF2, a LOT of BF2, some MORE BF2, torrents, movies, MSN, myspace, even MORE BF2, F.E.A.R. (when it's out), and maybe a dose of BF2
 
Posting, listening to music, other internet activities, porn, BF2, homework. In no special order :p

Oh yeah, I fold a bit too...

 
BillLeeLee said:
My pentium sits in the corner wasting space. 133 Mhz is too slow for me.

I spraypainted an old P75 once in flames, popped in as many 2GB hard drives as it could fit and filled it to the brim with punk mp3s, winamp, and 98se. I then gave it to some friends, which I hooked it up to their stereo. Beer got all over it, all the time. Weed smoke literally blown onto the board. Damn thing never died. We had to take it outside and shoot it.
 
I use my P4 for gaming, Video editing, Video Encoding, web surfing, chatting and video capturing.

Specs:
Intel P4 640 3.2ghz HT
Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro
Gigabyte 6600GT turbo force edition PCI-E
Geil Dual Channel Rams 2x512 DDR PC3200 :rolleyes:
Omni X510s with 500watt TT PSU
Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers.
Seagate Barrcuda 120Gb Sata 7200Rpm 8mb cache
 
I use my Pentium Extreme Edition for Watching / Recording TV while Burning a DVD, while Chatting and Surfing and or Listing to music / ripping a CD into MP3 or all of the above :)
 
Call of Duty, humm, posting in forums, trading, chat. Pretty much what an Athlon can do :rolleyes:

Para
 
I use for Pentium 2 300mhz Slot 1, 256mb SD RAM, ATi Rage 128 Pro VIVO, and STB Voodoo 2 SLI setup for Quake 3, MSN, and Internet.

Fun little box it is.
 
incomudro said:
Paper weight :)

I second the paper weight.... (it's torn apart laying all over my dining table waiting for $$$ to get replacement parts...that and I'm going to cut the case a bit for better airflow thru it...- I don't care how loud it is - as long as it stays cold)
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
I use my Pentium Extreme Edition for Watching / Recording TV while Burning a DVD, while Chatting and Surfing and or Listing to music / ripping a CD into MP3 or all of the above :)


I hear ya!
 
My pentium M is used for convenient wireless internet, playing mpegs, wma's, and mp3's, playing the occaisional UT2K4, SNES emulation, playstation emulation (castlevania symphony of the night) and last but not least, folding.
Not much else.
 
Akuma said:
Keychain...


Wow, a P4 as a keychain? I hope the chip was dead before that... I had a Cyrix keychain for a bit, but it was just too bulky.
 
i've got three collected over the past year or so

1.Graphics Computer
as the name suggetst i use it for graphics(photoshop, flash etc.) web surfing music and the occasional movie
|3.2Ghz Prescott @ 3.6Ghz|Abit IC7 Max3|1GB Dual Channel Geil Platinum Ultra|Chaintech FX5900xt|600GB HDD Storage|Pioneer 109D DVD Burner|

2.Media Computer
This pc i use for watching movie's, music, games, internet, tv recording, im and thats about it
|3.0Ghz Prescott @ 3.2Ghz|Shuttle SS56Gv3 Barebones|1GB Kingston 400Mhz|Asus 9600xt|200GB HDD Storage|Pioneer 108D DVD Burner|Dual HDTV Tuner Cards|Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum|

3.Storage Computer
This Machine is just used for storing all my data nothing else really.
|3.0Ghz Prescott|??? MSI Motherboard|512MB Generic Ram|Sapphire 9600xt|2 TB HDD Storage|BenQ 16x DVD Burner|Lite-on DVD Burner|

Thats It

GGGGGG G-UNIT
 
I prefer any Intel Box right now when using flash... but... I havent done much lately :(
 
1.8ghz celeron in a Toshiba Laptop. It surfs the web like a champ when I am in class, cause the whole campus is wireless.
 
I use my Pentium M 730 in my main box.

My SMP PIII 850's for folding / fileserver.

My Pentium 133 as a paperweight till I find a decent Socket 7 board

And my Pentium II 400 as a paperweight as well. Till I find the free-time to set up a new classic gaming box.
 
N H O said:
damn wat did u use to drill the hole?
DeWalt Cordless 18v Drill and what ever size bit was the same as the little hole that was already there. Cut through the copper and pcb like nothing.
NulloModo said:
Wow, a P4 as a keychain? I hope the chip was dead before that... I had a Cyrix keychain for a bit, but it was just too bulky.
It wasn't dead, just useless to me. It was only a 1.8ghz northwood with no mobo/ram/psu to run it. I probably could of sold it for $20, but I'd take the keychain over $20 any day.
 
Back
Top