What do *you* use your Dually for?

right now I'm not using it...still waiting for XP64 drivers on the X-Fi. (Well, I am...I'm backing up my RAID 5 onto DVD+DLs...but that's not really -USING- it.)

Otherwise, gaming, file server, VMWare system, MP3 playback.

When it's running it's my 'main' machine -
I mostly use it for Linux - The Gimp - creating art
but under Windows I use it as an old school gamer HL Platinum, Hitman 2, AOE, AOE Kings, AOE Conq., Driver, etc

Gaming, conflict modeling for international relations, statistical analysis, and photo editing.

I use it for everything as my main system....gaming, school, programming, 3d modeling, server, transcoding video...everything...

Marduk said:
right now I'm not using it...still waiting for XP64 drivers on the X-Fi. (Well, I am...I'm backing up my RAID 5 onto DVD+DLs...but that's not really -USING- it.)

Otherwise, gaming, file server, VMWare system, MP3 playback.

How would VMWare run on a dually with 1gb ram as compared to a single proc machine with like 2gb ram?

Well, if the VM was pegging out at 100 percent usage, the dually would be able to run with no noticable decrease in performance typically. I've played a bit with vmware and have never had a single instance of it use both cpu's.

same here.

I run VMWare on my single processor laptops as well (hence the 2gb of RAM).

I just run more VMWare systems on the server, hence the 4gb of RAM.

Main problem you run into w/ VMWare is how much memory you have to spare...because, if you allocate say 384mb RAM for it, that's (after overhead) over 400mb of RAM your system doesn't have any more...

HDTV viewing and recording on one CPU & games on the other...

I also do Adobe Premire and print work in Photoshop with high DPI.

and FOLDING for SETI when its not in use!

Mine's still a work in progress (*cough* need more money), but I'll be using it for re-encoding DVDs, hosting a BF2 LAN server, mass storage/file server, media center, music recording, Folding@Home, and of course remote access (SSH 4tw). Oh and...I plan to do this all on Linux. :D

Mostly CAD and FEA

It also really helps running parametric engine simulation software.

Development. Some Makefiles are even safe for parallel compilation.

Just an update = no longer using the Dually/dual boot....it's had a 'catastrophic pci bus failure....maybe overclocking the vid card was a bad thing? agh live and learn....

defakto said:
I use it for everything as my main system....gaming, school, programming, 3d modeling, server, transcoding video...everything...

Same here, except for the school part.

My duallie is a gentoo linux server. CS:S, apache, sql, ftp, php (most with very low loads...maybe 3 users at a time tops, except the CS:S of course) It also runs distributed compiling for my laptop.

Which one?

Software development. Database server. Test web server. Domain controller.

2.6ghz Xeon Pc-Dl.

Folding, simple programming, word documents. I couldn't go wrong getting it because the whole system costed as much as a single core. And working on it is smooth as butter.

-Mn Scout

i use the X2 for everything

the dual p3's i use when im bored and i wanna have some fun. im gonna turn them into a fileserver though, with 5x 250's in RAID 5.

might be getting a dual Xeon soon too. havent decided if im gonna do that yet though.

My latest dually, my dual Opteron 246's will be used for storing data mainly. Just serving files primarily. Dedicated game server work as well.

IE
lots of DVD (re)encoding and burning
24/7 torrent download/upload
more IE, lots of IE

Zeus mainly for analysing chess matches (goes over 2gig of ram usage most of time) and Hades for gaming and folding.

p0rn... there is none other....

I can see 2 chics at the same time.... :D

P3 dually is running AD/File/Print server duties
HP Xeon dually is running DVarchive for my replaytv as well as additional file server duties, 8 drives of SCSI goodness.

I use my dual p3 slot2 500mhz for folding, at one time I played Diablo on it.
I use my other, well you could say it is two duallies in one= Quad unit, use for folding and fileserver to backup my folding server farm.

Folding when it's not in use (which is almost never) and for serving games at a LAN party when it is at use. but usually it's still folding for the [H]

My duallie is a famous BP6 board w/ Celly 366's. It's running Gentoo Linux, which I keep promising myself I'm going to learn someday. I have a copy of Quake III Linux I got a few years back from the dollar store (no kidding!) that I keep meaning to try running on it (I stuck a GeForce 3 TI 200 in the thing).

edit: it's also got 768 RAM :)

I remember Carmack saying something about how Q3 gets like a 40% performance boost on a dual system so I'm curious as to whether the system could handle it. Other than that, it sits around my apartment and impresses me with its dorky hodge-podge coolness.

Slartibartfast said:
I remember Carmack saying something about how Q3 gets like a 40% performance boost on a dual system so I'm curious as to whether the system could handle it. Other than that, it sits around my apartment and impresses me with its dorky hodge-podge coolness.
it had an SMP implementation, but was taken out due to buggyness and not being worth it.

Back