• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What do you think went wrong with my setup?

EngineChauffer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
395
Hi guys, last friday I got all my stuff in and began building (my first time btw). This is what I got:

Gigabyte 8IK1100 MB
P4 3.0C
2x Crucial 512mb PC3200
120 Gig Seagate IDE 8mb
Lite-On 16x DVD
Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW
3.5 Floppy
Antec True 480 custom PS from Performance-pcs.com
Vantec UV reactive IDE/floppy cables
Nexus NXP-201 fan controller
NEC 2141 SB-BK
ATI AIW 9800 Pro

SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Zippy Keyboard
Microsoft Optical Mouse 3.0
AS-5 on stock cooling
Klipsh ProMedia Ultra's

All in a Lian-Li PC65B case w (4) 80mm fans(2 in/2 out) and (1) 120 side intake
2 Sunbeam UV CC's

I got it all together, double and triple checked all the connections. Set HD to master on its own IDE channel, set the DVD-ROM to master and CD-RW to slave on the other.

Scraped off the heatpad on the stock cooler, cleaned with 90% rubbing alcohol then as per instructions put 1/2 BB of AS-5

The only thing I had to make some changes to were the front reset switch/power on/and HD activity lights as I had the polarity reversed. No prob. it worked fine when I switched them.

Windows XP Pro loaded in very nicely first time. Installed all software for everything, all went very well. Did all updates to all the software, windows update, newest audigy drivers and updates etc. all went in fine.

The proc. was running at 43 deg celcius. This is after about 1 hr of loading programs. Thats good right?

Then it would happen. Multiple lockups and some errors when loading progs at startup. Then as I rebooted, it would progressively get worse and worse until it would just lock up at the Windows XP startup screen. Then it would just get to that and not begin to load (dim screen). I rechecked all connections. Reformatted (multiple times) with just drivers and updates. Same thing. Would run fine for an hour or so, then this would start happening. It was so frustrating. I became a master at reformatting I tried so many diff combos. It even got to the point where it locked up during reformatting!

I don't think it was the add-in cards. Both the 9800 and the Audigy were doing their jobs fine. The monitor looks awesome, sound was great (when the speakers worked-see next). Also, my brand new Klipsh ProMedia Ultras blew themselves up. The amp kept overheating at just low to moderate listening levels. I literally had to hit the back of the sub sometimes to get them working again, all connections were fine. Then they just quit altogether and the amp got so hot you could fry an egg on it (with the power off!)

I RMA'd the MB, processor and speakers to newegg. It cost me almost 70 bucks via UPS ground and it won't even get there until the 23rd! (I am in Pittsburgh, shipping to Cali.) My wife is looking at me like I am an idiot for spending 3200 on a box that is sitting in our dining room half ripped apart. I also took back and exchanged the Seagate HD (just to be sure, bought that locally) and RMA'd (prob. by mistake) the DVD-ROM since sometimes the comp would lock up when we put a disk in it. It was probably fine.

Well what do you guys think? I think it was either the MB or the processor. Doubt it was the hard drive as it was running smoothly and so quiet I couldn't even hear it. Everything else is tip-top from what I can tell. The memory test the MB does at bootup was fine so I don't think it was that. It also confirmed running at dual channel. I also did the necessary bios changes and confirmed HT was on. Never tried it with it off, if it doesn't work with it on than what would be the sense of keeping the proc. anyway? I am not a software person, so I just did what I have read on here as far as suggestions go (loading just drivers, etc.)

Sorry for the book, but I just need some confirmation that I did the right thing by RMA'ing the Proc and MB. I have seen that there have been some probs with the recent P4C's maybe a bad run of them or something? Or just plain bad luck?

Let me know your thoughts.

--Ed

PS. When the comp did work, WOW was it fast and did it look/sound nice! I really can't wait to get this back up and running, but just feeling a little down right now about the whole thing.
:(
 
Well, since you already shipped things back, I'd say that was a not quite so good move to make without some thorough testing.

The POST memory test does not guarantee the RAM is good; in my experience with the new comp, it did not pick up my bad stick of RAM.
You should have tested the memory with either Memtest86 or Memtest+ to rule out the memory as the culprit.

I wouldn't know if the P4 would be the bad one, but I guess we'll see (as well with the mobo).

However, if I had to say, it'd have been either the RAM or the mobo that would've caused the problem.
Also, how are the PSUs voltage levels and such? While the PSU you have is good, a faulty PSU can also cause instability problems and the like.

Good luck with the new stuff, but $70 to ship it back? I usually send my smaller stuff through the USPS Priority Mail (CPU, RAM, and mobos probably).
 
Yeah,

The 70 bucks in shipping was mostly due to the ProMedia's. They are 52.5 lbs! I also think it sucks that when they shipped to me, they sent the stuff from New Jersey and Tennessee but when I have to RMA the stuff it has to go to Cali... oh well.

Like I said, I am not really a software kinda person. I am learning slowly but surely, I recently figured out how to manually load drivers as an example. Show me hardware and how to put it together and I can do it easily. More of a hands on kinda person ya know? I don't even know where to get a mem-test program, could you maybe link a free one up for me or tell me where to look? The comp would get so unstable that I couldn't have run one anyway I don't think. I will do one once I get the components back together and running. I did take out all the stuff on the MB and re-seat it though.

The only thing left to be sent back out is the processor, it is downstairs waiting to be picked up. I RMA'd it as an afterthought, it made me nervous that NewEgg only has a 7 day RMA for processors and thought it best to send it back now. It is the retail version though, so I guess I could have waited and sent it back to Intel if it was found to be the culprit. I just hope it isn't the memory. Since they are not going to even get this stuff until the 23rd or the 24th, then time for them to process and ship out the new stuff, I won't be getting the new components back until probably the beginning of April. I ordered on the 5th of this month, so I will be very close to the 30 day RMA that newegg offers. I bought what I bought because I wanted a stable rig and am not an overclocker and now this happens.

This sucks.

--Ed
 
Yes we all begin somewhere with software/hardware. I wasn't much of a hardware guy (more software, some hardware) until I joined the [H].

For memtest86: www.memtest86.com
For memtest+: www.memtest.org

Both are free. You make a bootable floppy or cd with one, than boot the computer with the disk in the drive. It doesn't have to boot into windows, it runs off the disk, and runs tests on the RAM to see if any errors come about.

And yeah, 50 lb speakers would do it. Oh, and I believe Newegg has a 7 day return policy for CPUs. For RMAs, they let you do it within 30 days for CPUs. But don't worry, Intel customer service is excellent, as is Crucial's if you ever have to deal with them.

Well, late for class, so if you have any more problems, post back.
 
http://www.memtest86.com/

for testing your memory ...

best way to check for problems is prob 1 stick at a time, then both in dual channel ...

when you go to re assemble, do it piece by piece and check for stablility with every new piece installed ... but it might have been a bum proc or mobo ...

Good Luck!!

//EDIT// Bill beat me to it.
 
Looks like you had ram problem. Your processor should be fine. Wait until your parts come back and reinstall just what you need to boot up.
 
Well I just talked to a friend that knows a kid that works on/and helps teach computers here at the local high school. He said he would talk to him about testing my RAM for me (I guess putting it in another computer and running mem-tests on it).

I prob just sent back a perfectly good MB and processor. :( :mad:

Actually the processor is still here, I wonder if I should just cancel the UPS pick up and wait for the MB, DVD-ROM and speakers to show up in the beginning of april?

Maybe he could test the processor?

--Ed
 
Yes, by all means I'd suggest cancelling the UPS pickup. I haven't seen many Intel CPUs flake out before, only after years of use.

If they can help you test out the RAM and CPU, that'd be very nice.
 
Well as a last min decesion, I sent the P4 for RMA. I figured I had allready paid (10 bucks) and that only leaves the RAM as the culprit. Hopefully I can have the RAM tested in a few days. If he can't, then I am just going to RMA that also.

I was thinking of another alternative, does BB or someone else test RAM? Turnaround time? I would do it myself if I had another computer, but I upgraded from a PIII laptop so its out of the question.

I will update you guys as to what I find out, both with the RAM and the RMA'd components when I finally do get them back.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, this site inspired me to do this and I am sure I will be very happy with the final results of my hard work.

--Ed
 
Well I got all the parts back and installed. Everything is working fine now, however when I tried to install the full version of Rainbow Six 3 that came with one of my cards (either my soundcard or video, can't remember) then it began freezing up again. I took it off, seemed to fix the problem of that happening. I also decided to take off AVG and install my Norton Systemworks '03 which found 88 registry errors. I think that one or both of those game disk(s) are bad and really meesed things up. It fixed all that and the computer has been running well since. On startup, the gigabyte programs for my MB sometimes don't start up (error) but everything else loads fine. I want to think those programs are kinda poorly written and since I don't plan to use them I think I might just take them off. (I tried to reinstall and they still do the same thing) Mechwarrior4 Vengance runs fine as well as Aqua Mark 3 (i know it only tests the vid card).

I plan to run memtest+ soon, I was at the website, but wasnt sure which version to download and what exactly to do with it. I know you have said to make a bootable floppy but it would help if they had step-by-step instructions on their site but I guess it aimed at the more advanced user. ;)

All-in-all I am very happy with my new rig. It wouldn't have happened if you guys didn't help, I really do appreciate it. :D

--Ed
 
Yes, they died. Amp fried, could cook an egg on the back of the sub even when the system was off. :eek:

But the new ones are working wonderfully. Guess they just had a bad batch or something. Obviously a defect since I have read about others having to slap the back of their sub to get it working. Thats how the probs with the speakers started.

--Ed
 
For future reference. Log into you Newegg check rma status,

You will notice at the bottom there is a tab that says, Print fedex Label.

it prints a Pre-paid fedex label and then you schedule a pickup.

Saves some money.

Next you do realize that when newegg tests this stuff and it works they will ship it back to you
 
Didn't know about the FedEx thing, and never heard of them shipping anything back to anyone and I have been reading these forums for a while now. Anyone else know if this is true?

:confused: :confused: :confused:
 
Norton System works will cause more problems than it will solve. Trust me on this one. I would remove it immediatley.
 
Anti-Virus software sucks in general. It uses up too much resources. If you're careful and smart you should be able to avoid and/or remove any problems. (for advanced users only)

ways to avoid software/virus problems

#1 dont go to crappy (porn) websites with lots of pop-ups

#2 dont download any questionable attachments. Also, go to Norton or Mcafee and investigate weird attachments. You'll usually find a match on the most recent threats list. (search for file name or subject line)

#3 dont install free screensavers, toolbars, pop-up blockers, etc. So many of those include some crap that either acts like spyware or is poorly written code that causes conflicts.

#4 - USE www.Lavasoft.de 's ad-aware - to check for spyware

#5 - Use housecall.trendmicro.com - free online virus scanner to scan ANY downloaded files or attachments.
 
I have a very similar setup, except for teh speakers, and soundcard. I tend to agree, could be crumo ram.

Or perhaps bad electricity? dunno....
 
Thanks again guys for the suggestions. It has been running beautifully the past 3-4 days. When I origionally formatted and installed everything, I put AVG on, but the thing that turned me off was that sometimes it wouldn't update. It would just hang waiting to connect to their free update server. I got it to update a couple of times, but I know that norton has no problems when it comes to this and even auto updates when I do forget.

I know it eats alot of resources but with a gig of ram I think I should be ok. I have even been considering just upgrading to 1.5 or even 2 gig just for the hell of it. If I have the extra money, I just might just do it for shits and giggles. :D

I have adaware and have been using it for well over a year now. Great program and has helped out alot. :) As for not visiting porn sites well I don't do that :D ;) Adaware has helped out with that too. (I just can't seem to give up my consumptionjunction..lol)

--Ed
 
I have the promedias and have had no problem with them. If you have the money, they rock :D.
 
Back
Top