What do you think these classes consist of?

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Web Development for Open Business Systems
Business applications and web development based on platform-independent objective-oriented technologies and database connectivity in creating information systems for eBusiness activities.

Business Process Integration
Business process integration configuration of a hypothetical company using SAP R/3. Create organizational structure, master data and business rules for buying and selling products and tracking processes.

Business Intelligence
Introduction to business intelligence, with a focus on data warehousing and data mining. This course uses SAP Business Information Warehouse software.

Global Information Systems Management
Management issues surrounding the effective deployment of information systems in different regions of the world.

Some of these seem pretty obvious, but i'm wondering a little more in depth on what they cover. I'm trying to pick my last 2 MIS classes for Spring. Development is what I'd like to do after graduation. I think I have my eyes on Web Development for Open Business Systems and Business Process Integration.

It's important to do your homework on the curriculum; while you can get some "best guesses" from us, I think it's better to go straight to the source. Chances are that you have related questions like "How does this help my career path?" or "Is this in line with me wanting to do _____ for a living?" or other personally-unique and one-off questions. If the professors or instructors are also listed, then simply talk with them directly. If not, then meet with the head of that particular college.

Last edited:
PTNL got it on the head - find the sylabus on the school/professor's website, call them up or talk to people who've already taken the class. If I had to guess, I'd assume you'd be working with Java/J2EE. Some of the SAP stuff might touch on ABAP.

Of course, none of the Professor's public folders had any information regarding these courses. I've recieved 1 reply back so far.

Web Development for Open Business Systems
Tim:

Prof. Zahedi normally teaches this course, so I have attached a copy of the syllabus from when she last taught it. I will likely deviate from her syllabus considerably in terms of exams, assignments, and topic coverage; but some of the general aspects will remain the same. The first half of the semester will focus on teaching Java basics: syntax, OOP concepts, GUI objects, building simple java applications etc. The second half will focus on using Java with databases, distributed computing, and perhaps building web applications. Students are expected to have prior programming knowledge (I believe BA 335 is a pre-req).

Regards,

~ Prof. Abbasi

I'm anxious to take this one. There is a bit more information in the syllabus he attached, but I don't need to post it.

Just thought I'd share.

Also, I think I've narrowed it down to Web Development for Open Business Systems and Business Process Integration. I'd like to take one of the other courses related to development, but this is the only one offered this semester and I will graduate this Spring.

Hopefully I can take BPI. I see a mixup in the Prereq's between the school's website, course descriptions, and the system we use to add courses. Of course, everyone is out on vacation so I'll have to wait for clarification.

Good news so far, sounds like you're on the path to making a more informed decision.

Back