What Do You Think Of XFX's Video Cards?

Vapor1000

[H]ard|Gawd
ive been waiting for the GeForce 6800 line of PCI-E video cards since june (almost half a year) =[, the only places i find them for sale carry the XFX brand... from what i gathered this is the old "Pine Technologies" company under a different title (correct me if im wrong). i am used to purchaisng nvidia based grafix cards from companys like Leadtek(my current card vendor for my AGP 6800nu), Evga, Abit, and Gigabyte. im a little hesitant about buying the XFX 6800GT PCI-E. is there any reason i should be? what are the pros and cons of this company? and how is their warranty? any input will be appreciated...

I can't tell you how good their warranty is because i havn't had to RMA a card with them but XFX is becoming a top vendor for nVidia. I have an XFX 6800GT and it works flawlessly. XFX cards are usually among the top overclockers as well. All the computers in one of my networking labs at college has XFX cards installed in them.

I wouldn't be hesitant to buy one, especially since they are normally reasonably priced.

I just bought my second XFX card and i'm also happy with it. Never had to use the warranty, but the hardware is solid.

XFX was the first to market with the 6800U and XFX also appears to be the first to have out a 6800GT PCI-E card.

Well, I've bought two cards from them and both died - which isn't a great track ratio.

I've used their RMA service for one (FX 5900xt), and they just sent me back a new one of the same make and model. So...I guess that's good. Only took a week, but no communication on when they received the old one or what they were doing about the situation.

Still, wasn't hard to request one, and can't argue with the turnaround time.

I had a XFX GF4Ti4200 clocked faster than a 4600 like 1.5 years ago, sold it to a friend once i bought this Radeon 9800Pro and it still works great, so i recommend the brand :D

OldMX

I gotta say, I really DON'T like their crappy HSFs, though. Cheap, flimsy, lightweight aluminum. I don't think I've seen them use a copper HSF, yet. Even the 6800nus they have are aluminum. And noisy fans, too.

hmmm.... so far your comments are encouraging... the only negitive ive heard is 2 cards died on one person (one of which he rma'ed and got back in a week) and another person complaining about their crappy HSF (which does not matter to me because a MCW50 will be taking the hsf's place anyway... matter a fact the stock fan wont even turn once on this card).... it is nice to hear such prases for XFX, as i dont care to wait much longer to purchase the card ive wanted for so long.... im thinking if i do contenue my wait, it will only be for a 6800 Ultra PCI-E.... but thats an entirely different debate... especially since the pci-e gt is a $500 bill vs $380AGP.

dderidex said:
I gotta say, I really DON'T like their crappy HSFs, though. Cheap, flimsy, lightweight aluminum.
that's the reference design and it works fine.

pxc said:
that's the reference design and it works fine.
That doesn't mean it's NOT cheap, flimsy, lightweight aluminum.

Compare to BFG or Leadtek's cards. Or, hell, even eVGA's (in which you do have to replace the aluminum part with a coppy part, but at least they sell the upgrade, and the HSF is moddable on all their cards without replacing the whole unit and without voiding your warranty).

dderidex said:

Compare to BFG or Leadtek's cards. Or, hell, even eVGA's
Blame the element Al on the lightweight part. There's a cover over the heatsink which protects the "flimsy" fins. And it probably is cheaper to produce than custom copper designs. That's why it's used on most of the *mass produced reference design* cards. It is the reference design, no better or worse.

The most important thing is whether is works or not. And of course it does.

My BFG 6800GT OC ran fine overclocked with the "cheap, flimsy, lightweight aluminum" reference design HSF (420/1100... the nv5 silencer only for me a couple more MHz) and my new XFX 6600GT also runs fine overclocked with a "cheap, flimsy, lightweight aluminum" reference design HSF.

:rolleyes: Geez, negative nancy.

I've just bought the XFX Geforce 6800 GT (but for AGP) and I've got to say it's excellent hardware. Overclockable to 430/1120 which is far higher than stock 6800u clock, without any problems and (compared to other 6800gts with default cooling) very silent. Warranty is 1 year i think, but that's unimportant - i think (and hope) i won't ever need it...;)

So: Get this piece of hardware!

XFX just released the AGP version of the 6600GT, i've been tempted to go ahead and get it. Is there really any big difference in buying the Gigabyte agp 6600gt compared to the xfx agp 6600gt? I was told its mainly just software wise that comes with the card.

Vapor1000 said:
from what i gathered this is the old "Pine Technologies" company under a different title

It's not a re-name...it's a "Division of Pine"...who I've heard nothing good about. If you read under their name, it has it in small print....or at least did. BUT, back when 128MB of memory was the new rage, my friend landed an XFX for his new machine and it ran good considering....plus they are the only company I'm aware of making a Dual-DVI 6800GT. I'm personally starting to change my opinion of them, but not enough to buy them JUST yet...just ordered an eVga :) But I don't think you have much to worry about. Plus they have those cool X boxes :)

My XFX 6800GT came with Doom III, X2: The Threat, Commandos 3, and Moto GP(?)

It is dual DVI and went for $380 at buy.com (w/ 5% coupon). When I ran "auto overclock" it went right to Ultra speeds (400/1100).

FWIW, that 5900xt that XFX just returned to me is ALSO a beast of an overclocker.

Just dropped it into my system to see what I could do with it - intending to sell it - but when 'auto overclock' detected 465 core and 950 mem....well, you know we've got to work with THAT now, doncha?

As it happens, the mem was maybe a little too aggressive - I got some artifacting in 3dMark03. Still, it runs at 468 core/936 mem just fine - just finished playing a bunch of Planetside (hardest on my system due to heavy CPU and Northbridge usage). I bet it'll easily go WAY over 5950 Ultra clocks for a 'balls to the wall' 3dMark03 run. Just using these clocks - again, perfectly workable as 24/7 clocks - I got 6453 in 3dMark03.

Nice card.

dderidex said:

Compare to BFG or Leadtek's cards. Or, hell, even eVGA's (in which you do have to replace the aluminum part with a coppy part, but at least they sell the upgrade, and the HSF is moddable on all their cards without replacing the whole unit and without voiding your warranty).

The new BFG heatsink/fans sucked. They ran around 10C hotter then the reference design.

The XFX 6800GT's use the same reference design coolers that are on the majority of 6800GT's and they work just fine. If you want better cooling then that then just buy an aftermarket GPU heatsink/fan or waterblock to install on it.

Back