what do you think of my htpc?

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
so I've been obsessed with passive cooling for a while now (i keep researching builds for completely passive setups). Anyways, while i am obssessed with the idea, I don't feel like it would be that satisfying to just start dropping 600$ on a computer i dont actually need.

Recently, i recieved a beat up hp dv9334us laptop from a friend. Beat up as in the ac adapter had to be held for it to power the laptop, and the screen hinges were completely screwed up, I was originally planned to remove the laptop screen and just use the laptop as an ultra portable desktop that still required a separate video screen. But again... i dont actually need a computer for anything. So i just sort of left it.

Twice now my brothers would come over and complain that they couldn't show my parents their photos on a nice big screen or some cool movies on the tv they had downloaded. "That's it!!" I thought to myself.
"this is the perfect excuse to turn this:

"into this!"

so that's what i did

I ripped apart the laptop and first thing thing was first, took off the heatpipe and fan solutions and went straight to hsc electronics to buy some new heatsinks. Now , i knew that whatever i bought i would have to somehow mount to these propriety connections, but i wasn't really sure what i was looking for. The only thing i was really concerned with was that the heatsinks fins HAD to be alligned vertically so that hot air could easily rise through them. In retrospect i should have also looked for heatsinks with fins that are better spaced across (it didn't occur to me that spacing is much more critical in passive setups than with forced air induction). Furthermore, after seeing how tiny the little heatsinks were on the stock setup, I wasn't worried too much with the actual performance of the heatsinks (yeah... i know they're passive but... i mean... common..... well, as you can tell by the temps farther down, i'm not a very bright guy)

I had 3 main chips i had to cool, as well as some minor power transistors by the cpu which i wasn't as worried about. The cpu had a good 3 hole mounting system, so i decided for the cpu heatsink i would just drill whatever holes i needed to in the heatsink and mount it with long bolts and regular thermal paste.

The northbridge and gpu didn't have such easy setups or didn't have enough room for me to get heatsinks that would accomodate the mounting systems, so i choose to use
arctic alumina epoxy. I decided i didn't want to risk it with arctic silver epoxy in case I got some on some electronics and i wouldnt be able to just wipe if off.

The cpu and gpu heatsinks were some generic aluminum peices i found at local electronics store, the northbridge heatsink was taken from and nforce 2 ultra 400 northbridge.

Everything mounted nicely.

After testing the temperatures i wasnt TOO happy, but after a 24 hour 1080p wmv video test in the 98 degress Fahrenheit weather, and some more high def youtube test and hulu tests i decided it would be ok. Typical temps:
temps (C) : .......... idle ............... load (1080p wmv playing)
cpu ...................... 40 ............... 87
gpu ...................... 55 ............... 65
north ..................... 60 ............... 93

Temperatures are from the hardware monitor from the folks who make cpu-z

As you can see, the temps aren't exactly what i want them to be, and honestly, the computer FAILS prime95, but i decided i didn't care to much about that, and hopefully it doesn't decrease the life the of unit too dramatically. (mostly i'm worried about the nvidia gpu contacts cracking from thermal stress... i've heard this is an issue with the nvidia 7 series mobile chips...)

After deciding that this would still work, I soldered a new tip onto the ac adapter and started thinking of a simple design for a case.

Originally, i was honestly going to getto rig something, but for some reason it became better and better looking.

I cut out a sheet from an old atx case to use as the motherboard tray and drilled holes for the mobo. For the actual case I just used a sheet of plywood i found on our property and cut it into the two sides of the case and used a single board for the top, front, and rear sides. A bunch of screwing, sanding, more sanding, several trips to home depot, and some wood oil-based floor finish and i had the case. The front looked pretty ugly though so i went to friedman's and purchased a perforated aluminum sheet which i cut, bent and painted to make the front grill.

It still looks a little getto, but i like it.

Anyways, it didn't completely satisfy my hunger for a computer with NO moviing parts. I'm still using the mechanical hard drive that came from the laptop :(.

Anyways, plays 1080p wmv, 1080p h.264 mkv's, all the youtube and hulu i need. What do you guys think?

Hopefully next passive build i get the guts to actually spend money and properly cool an undervoltages and underclocked 45watt cpu with a ninja scythe mini and get an ssd in there too.

Oh... yeah... almost forgot. Yes, it's pretty quiet. But you can still hear some high frequency noices from the electronics. Plus you can hear the hdd a little too, as quiet as it is.

I applaud the effort. you said yourself its a first step and I think its a good one.

I would add a fan, those temps are really high. You could add an 80mm fan and run it off of 5v and you wouldn't even hear it. But pretty cool none the less.

You REALLY need to add a fan. You dont need much just a large Desktop fan (Bigger is better because the blades spin slower to push the same amount of air reducing noise a GREAT deal) Then you can use speedfan hopefully to control its speed to low. All that setup needs is a little bit of airflow for safety

Not a bad start. Are you parents and brothers pleased with it?

heh, just got a wireless mouse and keyboard for it.

so far my parents and brothers are amazed with the actual quality of this tv (we dont get hd tv here...).
Just showed my father 1080p photos of hong kong and some 1080p videoes of some dolphins, he was impressed. They're not too computer savy so mostly this thing will be here so that my brothers and i can show them cool stuff on the web, or play some movies we bring over.

If you want to be able to keep showing them nice images you need to get a fan on the setup quick.

sorry for bringing up this old post, but i promised above i would tell you how long this beast lasts.

I use it about once a week to play some videos from hulu, or some movies from an external drive my brother loaded with movies.

Sometimes just to show my parents something on the web that i dont want them hunched over our office computer to look at.

Anyways, i have it turned on pretty much 24/7 and it hasn't failed me yet.

Some interesting software tidbits though:

1) nvidia 7600mobile had weird issues with hdmi on hp's, if you install the newest drivers often the audio will stop working. It's even better because it's part of the windows update, so i decided to turn it off. So only old nvidia drivers for me!

2) I decided to give the microsoft steady state system a try on this machine (like deep freeze).
It gave me ALL kinds of issues. Randomly wouldn't boot and go straight to "windows repair". HDMI audio not working if tv wasn't turned on BEFORE the machine booted. All sorts of headaches i couldn't diagnose. Decided to reinstall the whole thing completely and didn't install steady state. No issues since then.

Well... another bump of an old thread. Computer is still working fine, still completely passive, no fans blowing on it. Temps are still high since i haven't changed anything, but the machine works flawlessly.

I think this will be the last necro bump here, this computer has been running strong without any problems the entire time (1 year, 3 months). It's stays asleep most of the time, and we wake it up about once or twice a week to watch some photos or a movie on it. Over and out.

Back