What do you think about Process Lasso?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
5,847
So what do you think about Process Lasso? I use it on my Vista x64 rigs. I like it because it seems like it makes my computer run much more smoother. Should I continue to use it for its Process Governor, or am I better off letting Vista do its thing controlling the processes?

Constructive feedback/suggestions welcome. And no, not Joe Average. :p He'll probably say "LEAVE IT ALONE." I'm already aware of that, I just wanted to get some "extra" speed. :D
 
I use it since it helps stop system lock-ups most of the time. Processes that might get out of hand are stopped pretty quickly with Process Lasso. You can customize the app to not do it with games but do it with anything you see fit to.

I'm making a positive note about it but it'd be interesting to know the negatives, too.
 
Interesting idea, but I think it's completely against operating system principles to do such a thing. A process that has high priority has high priority for a reason. If you lower its priority because you want other processes to be able to execute simultaneously, you're essentially ignoring its priority flag. Whether or not it improves user experience is one thing (which it may do, if a process is not properly prioritized), but whether or not it's correct to do it is another entirely different thing.

This product seems to have both potential benefits and drawbacks.
 
Interesting idea, but I think it's completely against operating system principles to do such a thing. A process that has high priority has high priority for a reason. If you lower its priority because you want other processes to be able to execute simultaneously, you're essentially ignoring its priority flag. Whether or not it improves user experience is one thing (which it may do, if a process is not properly prioritized), but whether or not it's correct to do it is another entirely different thing.

This product seems to have both potential benefits and drawbacks.

Well, to its credit, there are 2 things that the program has to work around those issues.

Firstly, it has something called "Foreground Priority boosting", and "Foreground Thread boosting". I'm assuming this alleviates the potential issue you speak of when you say that a process has a high priority for a reason.

The second is that the program has the option to do the following:

"Exclude foreground process from restraint"
"Exclude system services from restraint"
"Exclude non-normal process priorities from restraint"

Not to mention that you can choose manually which programs you want to be restrained or not.

I think this basically covers your concerns. Wouldn't you agree?
 
It's Joe Average, getchershitstraight. :)

SuperSpeed software started this concept in software years ago with their product AutoPilot, so I'm pretty familiar with the concept. It basically boils down to one thing:

Install it and see if you're happier with your system's performance or not, simple.

This isn't a tweaker thing, actually, as it hooks pretty deep and either does or doesn't work for you.

Was that restrained enough? :D
 
It's Joe Average, getchershitstraight. :)

So I left a space out. Sue me. Edited for your pleasure. :eek: :D


This isn't a tweaker thing, actually, as it hooks pretty deep and either does or doesn't work for you.

It's still a tweaker thing IMO, because it allows me to control something the OS normally doesn't. So there. ;)

Was that restrained enough? :D

lol

Yeah, that was a bit tame. I was expecting a little more dustup, but it looks like I'll be alright. :p
 
I liked the idea of process throttling, so it can prevent lock ups.

I also like how you can set it to automatically set core affinity at boot, if you have a Quad-Core and run a ton of applications at once. Even though that's stupid to do.
 
I liked the idea of process throttling, so it can prevent lock ups.

I also like how you can set it to automatically set core affinity at boot, if you have a Quad-Core and run a ton of applications at once. Even though that's stupid to do.

And he worries about what I'll say, sheesh... :D
 
Leave it alone applies to tweaking the OS itself, by Registry hacks, edits, whatever you want to call them, adjusting variables in the OS, screwing up the pagefile, disabling services, all that sort of in-the-guts tinkering.

Process Lasso doesn't do any of that, therefore, as I said, I don't consider it a "tweak" regardless of what others might consider it to be. I get why they consider it as such, but it's not permanently altering aspects of the OS or disabling the very things that make Vista work the way it's supposed to work, that's all.

Leave it alone means leave Vista alone because it can truly take care of itself. I'm not against using a proven tool that can actually improvement system responsiveness, that would be silly.

But just because you may believe it's doing something doesn't actually mean it is. We're all aware of psychological principles (at least I hope you are) and the perception that "Wow, this is much faster than that" or words to that effect. If you ran Process Lasso and you did some testing to show that yes it does have some measurable effect on how the system performs, then fabulous, I'm all for it.

When you say "it sure seems to have made my system run smoother" that doesn't mean much and can't be quantified at all.

See what you've made me do? ;)
 
Leave it alone applies to tweaking the OS itself, by Registry hacks, edits, whatever you want to call them, adjusting variables in the OS, screwing up the pagefile, disabling services, all that sort of in-the-guts tinkering.

Process Lasso doesn't do any of that, therefore, as I said, I don't consider it a "tweak" regardless of what others might consider it to be. I get why they consider it as such, but it's not permanently altering aspects of the OS or disabling the very things that make Vista work the way it's supposed to work, that's all.

Leave it alone means leave Vista alone because it can truly take care of itself. I'm not against using a proven tool that can actually improvement system responsiveness, that would be silly.

But just because you may believe it's doing something doesn't actually mean it is. We're all aware of psychological principles (at least I hope you are) and the perception that "Wow, this is much faster than that" or words to that effect. If you ran Process Lasso and you did some testing to show that yes it does have some measurable effect on how the system performs, then fabulous, I'm all for it.

When you say "it sure seems to have made my system run smoother" that doesn't mean much and can't be quantified at all.

See what you've made me do? ;)

ROFL!!!!

Classic! I knew I could make you do it!!!

Take it easy bro, we subscribe to the same philosophy (leave it alone). :)
 
Now now... my age has nothing to do with wisdom or knowledge. I only tweak Vista with beneficial changes. If you're wondering, I do leave a lot of settings in Vista alone & don't go all out with changing everything around anymore. I get a kick out of tweaking games & modifying drivers when needed.

Always good to jest though. :) Leaving everything alone is good but I still believe that beneficial customization for anything is great.
 
Back
Top