What do you take Screenshots with?

I tend to take screenshots as JPGs with 95% quality using MSI Afterburner 3840X2160 resolution.

I used to do PNGs on my old monitor with FRAPS 1920X1200 resolution. I cant do that now with 4k because the file size gets huge real fast. 4K PNGs get stupidly massive! Any suggestions how to balance 4K screenshots quality and size, especially if you tend to take a lot of screenshots?

Print Screen. In-game screenshot creators seem to do well enough for me.

Steam screenshot F-12 or Print screen I forget it works for any Steam game

I still like print screen because it gives you the uncompressed bitmap and then you can save it in any format you want. I prefer TGA and PNG, myself. I would never save an image as a JPEG.

Steam's integrated screenshots are nice, though, as it automatically manages them. You just can't upload uncompressed or lossless screenshots to your online library.

Last edited:
Reactions: chenw
like this
I still like print screen because it gives you the uncompressed bitmap and then you can save it in any format you want. Steam's integrated screenshots are nice, though, as it automatically manages them.
Amen to that, not a fan of JPEG

not for games but TPUCapture is great, print screen = direct web link

capture-023935.jpg

Why not? I use JPEG 97% quality on my DSLR camera, why would my desktop be any different and require higher lossless quality at abysmal file size per screenshot?

DSLR cameras often take pictures that are of much higher resolution than your typical desktop (EG a 12MP picture has about 50% more pixels than a 4k screenshot), which JPEG doesn't affect the quality as much.

I have always noticed that, the smaller the image is, the more artefacts you'd see.

I notice this even on 1440p D3 screenshots, I can see that JPEG image is nowhere near as sharp as the actual image.

I prefer screenshotting PNG whereever possible, since I seldom take images, quality is of more importants than the harddrive space savings JPEG can provide. Hell, if DSLR cameras can save in PNG format I would have preferred that and dished out the money for a bigger SD card than saving it with JPEG, but for camera's JPEG isn't nearly as bad as screenshots

I almost always use Steam for screenshots, I have the uncompressed screenshots saved as well with Steam. The only time I don't use Steam is if I'm using an ENB, SweetFX/ReShade.

Used to use Fraps, but it was causing issues in games recently, so I've pretty much ditched FRAPS.

I have Bandicam, but haven't set it up yet, so I've been using Steam.

Back