What do you hate about Vista the most and want fixed in Windows 7

I hate the fact that because of its existence WinXP will not get Dx10. I could careless about it. I'm not upgrading. Skipping the whole generation and getting Windows 7 if it's good. I don't need anything that Vista offers. Dx10 is nice, but not a must at this point.

I would like IE to not crash whenever I close it.

If it has more than 1 tab open, it will crash on close.

Every...

single...

time.

they need to clean up the windows APIs ... big time....
thats my #1 request, and it should be at the top of most ppl's lists..... after all, the APIs are fundamental to how an operating system works....

other than that, the 3d window flipping Rolodex is just *retarded...* seriously MS... just pay Apple off and copy Expose....

i know everyone was pissed off that MS moved around things and changed things just for the sake of changing things (and i was pissed off too....) so if they just keep things fairly static in this regard for 7 i think that would be a good thing..... unless they have a *radical* and i mean *radical* UI re-design.... (i like the Windows UI, but innovation is to always be encouraged....)

other than these 3 things, i'd love to see MS pull a "snow leopard" and do what is *supposed* to be done when developing an operating system line: making sure things work well, making them work better/more stable/faster/easier to use/*efficient* , with stronger security and less bugs. You know... actually focusing on the core operating system and how it functions, while not getting too far off track..

because... at the end of the day.... aside from being a RAM whore.... Vista is MS's best operating system....

The thing I hate the most about Vista is it's bad reputation. It's a bad ass OS!!!!!!

What I hate most is that I bought into all the anti-Vista hysteria before trying it myself. Vista works great on my PC!

I would like it to save folder settings, instead of having to reset them every time you reboot, and also I would like file transfers to be MUCH FUCKING faster.

Everything is organzied very poorly. Navigating around is a bit of a pain. Too much clutter.

I never thought that until I started using OSX more frequently.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vista, but some changes in the Organization department would help.

I love the little bugfixes, especially with all-in-one card readers no longer creating a bazillion phantom drive letters. I like how finally the OS is in the 21st century with the use of alpha blending and graphical fades.
I like the fixed installation process, even if it's no longer simple and intuitive.
I like the sidebar/gadgets even though it seems like they were only an afterthought.
I like how you can actually RELIABLY bring up the task manager/process explorer when an app has hung badly, even though it often isn't visible and requires trickery to actually switch to.

I hate slow file transfer. I hate random HDD thrashing. I hate that damn green bar suddenly showing me that it's scanning everything on my computer just to look for thumbnails/new content/unlicensed mp3s/etc.
I hate that it silently and non-intuitively redirects my local profile data to other places (e.g. Thunderbird's saving of mail in the /roaming profiles directory instead of under documents&settings../app data).
I hate the way the explorer/file view defaults to web search when I just want to look for a file (in fact, I hate the search altogether since it's so unintuitive I have to assume it was deliberately crippled).
I hate the way it takes precision mousing and extra time to find a program in the start menu... come on, you can't figure out a better way with billions in R&D? How about 3D Aero for my start menu already?
I hate file sharing, it's such a complete PITA to set up a simple public folder, and I HATE (omg hate hate hate) the requirement for sharing to have non-blank passwords when authenticating from user account names, which makes sharing public passwordless account names between XP and Vista boxen impossible.
UAC, yeah, pointless. If I've given admin permission for one area, please retain that permission until I do something else (like renaming files in the Program Files folder), or just let me 'su root' or something like *nix.
Please for the love of good programming make it easier for me to navigate the major system folder hierarchy. I feel like I need a road map just to find the 'network connections', 'search', and 'my computer' analogs on Vista. It used to be right off the start menu in XP.

Most of all, I hate having been FORCED into Vista despite there being nothing wrong with XP, especially as sales of XP seemed strong when it was an actual, you know, CHOICE (case in point: Dell).

For an improvement, seriously, please implement something aside from drive lettering in Win7. Let me partition a box in a more sensible manner like *nix. Let me dynamically relabel partitions so I can have fake mounting when I am using portable drives (e.g. if I clone partition /tools to a USB drive, let me mount the USB drive as /tools on another box also without having to screw around with 'subst', especially when you get into drive lettering). Default customers can have a partition alias of C: or something for legacy apps.

And please, stop with the freaking monopoly stuff. Make windows really modular so if I don't want to install Windows Media Player 13 or IE9 as a 'critical update' I don't need to. Lets be serious, either you're playing illegal tie-in games or your multi-billion R&D budget is being wasted if you can't work around internet component dependencies.

And please release a useful, non-.NET graphics/forms API for windows developers who don't want to have to duct-tape cross-platform code to the CLR.

Something I'd really like also that has been a problem since XP is that I don't want to see my desktop appear until the box is actually *ready* to work. On XP and Vista both if you have login processes going (like font managers or antivirus) you've got up to 3-4 minutes of HDD and CPU thrashing after the desktop displays before the system is actually responsive. I know, how about allowing for run levels like *nix?

Wait, why not just put a GUI on *nix and call it windows7 and save everyone the hassle? (It worked for Apple.) :D

how about networking that acctually works.. none of this.. sometimes it sees xp boxes sometimes it dosent.. would that be so hard???

i went to a lan party recently, it was a mixed bag of xp and vista machines.. small scale, 8 or 9 pcs tops 4 vista 4 xp and a mac running xp.. (so 5 xp, expect the douch kept it in osx most of the time, lot of good that did him at a lan party.. :rolleyes:).

plug it all in, i can see all of the vista machines, and one of the xp machines. all of the xp machines can see each other and none of the vista machines (all of the xp machines and one of the vista machines came off the same lan else where) , meanwhile the person next to me can see every box on the network, but cant access any of them. and the person behind me can only see and access me.. (you know know the way you can always see your self in network manager... yeah.. he couldnt see him self.. only me.. )

3 hours later, every one could see every one else, but no one could access me and one other XP box.. so if we all wanted something we would drop it on to one pc and every one would grab from them.. time consumeing and frustraiting to say the least. why cant they just make something that should be simple work. ( i know you guys are going to try and tell me we had network conflicts.. and at first we might have, but we assigned our own ip's and still had issues.. to much to go into really)

I could do with the whole new networking setup in vista being yanked and transplanted with the trusty old xp version. What a clusterfuck they made that.

The biggest annoyance with vista to me is treating me like an idiot for the sake of "security". Yeah i know you can turn most of it off but it really defeats the purpose.

i would also like to see the ability to turn off the nag in the task tray if you decide to turn off uac... yeah.. i know its off.. i dont need vista to remind me its off.. go the fuck away

They need to make it more technical like windows xp. Too much crap in the middle before you get to your destination. Too much bloat. They need to make it straight to the point. Vista also makes the user look like an idiot with its dumbed down ways lol. What they should have did was use windows xp's interface and upgrade it with more options of themes and more custom stuff. More security and more different ways you can have your interface like. Vista is just inefficient. Sticking with xp x64 until something better comes along.

i would also like to see the ability to turn off the nag in the task tray if you decide to turn off uac... yeah.. i know its off.. i dont need vista to remind me its off.. go the fuck away

You can disable that notification from within Security Center.

Wow, I got more than what I bargained for. Thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em coming. :D

I hate the fact that because of its existence WinXP will not get Dx10. I could careless about it. I'm not upgrading. Skipping the whole generation and getting Windows 7 if it's good. I don't need anything that Vista offers. Dx10 is nice, but not a must at this point.

Well, I upgraded to Vista just for the cool look and to play Crysis at DX 10. It looks so cool at High settings.

I would like IE to not crash whenever I close it.

If it has more than 1 tab open, it will crash on close.

Every...

single...

time.

well, i used IE 7 and it did crash a lot. now switched to FF3 - light years ahead of IE. FF crashes once a while, but you have the option of restoring your tabs.

What I hate most is that I bought into all the anti-Vista hysteria before trying it myself. Vista works great on my PC!

Same here. That's coz we both have 4GB RAM and a quad core processor (I have E6850). Vista works great so far in my PC.

UAC.jpg

I would like it to save folder settings, instead of having to reset them every time you reboot, and also I would like file transfers to be MUCH FUCKING faster.

Yes, same here.

For every folder, there should be a default view, say List or Details. If I change that view, then that view should only be changed for that folder, not for any other folder, and should never ever change without my permission!

I don't understand why Vista can't get this right. Sometimes I end up with views where I'm like "Huh? When did I set this?" or "I never even knew such a view existed!". It boggles the mind.

Anyway, /rant. I'd also like Vista to always give me detailed view when transferring files, never the simple one. I'd also like it if they resolved the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" business. It's really annoying. Some 64-bit programs with 32-bit installers will install into the x86, and I always have to think which one is the right one.

I would like to see the network connection status icon in the systray regain the functionality it has back in XP. For support purposes...what XP has is wonderfully easy and quick to get someone to over the phone. For a quick check of the IP address, details, for a quick renew, for a quick view of the available wireless networks to connect to.

With Vista..they buried those steps (and crippled them) under several layers deep..it's futile to walk an end user to those over the phone.

Windows key + R - ipconfig ;)

Much easier than trying to explain several layers of menus to someone digging for the info. But I get your point, and I'm a big fan of fast quick help and efficiency in doing so. Just that one command offers enough info related to the network connection(s) on a Windows box, however.

Vista does tend to hide a lot more than XP does, not sure why it's that way specifically but because of how Vista was developed, with vastly more end-user input (aka consumers) than any previous OS in history (and that means any OS, not just previous versions of Windows), that probably has a lot to do with it. They probably surveyed the people that were part of the input program and asked what they felt should be visible and what shouldn't, and the majority most likely would have answered such things as networking connection info ("We just want it to work") and other variables that can be necessary for support.

If it just works, why would they need to get access to the info... at least that's the general idea. :p

Windows key + R - ipconfig ;)

Much easier than trying to explain several layers of menus to someone digging for the info. But I get your point, and I'm a big fan of fast quick help and efficiency in doing so. Just that one command offers enough info related to the network connection(s) on a Windows box, however.

If it just works, why would they need to get access to the info... at least that's the general idea. :p

Yeah but I'm talking about general end users....every PC that I setup for my clients..with XP I always turned on the network status icon in the systray. So it was literally a double click away. Actually easier to walk people through double clicking that..then trying to get some discover the "Windows" key and do a combo and have to type something in (spelling it out loud to them). Experience has shown me this..and I'm a person who demands getting the most info out of the easiest and least amount of clicks.

Why would they need to get access to the info? To read to me, because I support a lot of business networks..and sometimes if there's an issue I need to ensure their PC has the correct information....with networks..that involves knowing they have the correct information..DNS, etc.

And other end users...when they have their laptops out on the road..and they call me to figure out how to connect to a wireless network hotspot...with that systray icon in XP I could get them to search for avail wireless networks very easily. With Vista..that's been buried too deeply now.

Another gripe...seems to be related to UAC...but when I do remote support of end users..have them install the remote support agent..such as for GoToMeeting...Vista gives that 30 second to 1 minute or even longer pause ...pain in the butt.

I know..stop whining....we're stuck with it pretty soon...as our wholesale channels will be running out of the "XP Downgrade" workstations soon..which we're still ordering for our clients.

Applications should not implant themselves in the system upon the simple act of clicking on them.

Case in point: Media Center. The very first time it is run, it proceeds to add things to the startup and activate some new services. It does this without any notification and regardless of whether you ever plan to use Media Center again. There is no way to roll back the changes automatically, and only a somewhat technically competant person can get all of the added stuff removed. It was for this reason, and this reason alone, that my gaming rig got Vista Business, because that edition does not come with Media Center.

Back