What do you guys think of this $550 budget A64 rig?

johnson

Weaksauce
Getting a cheap vid card since it wont be used for gaming. Also will upgrade to another stick of 512MB RAM since I hear its better for A64 systems. Ive got everything except for the board and proc. Any comments? Do I need anything else?

$89 - Antec Black Performance Series II Mini Tower Case w/ 350W Power Supply, Model "SX635SBII" - Retail

$15.50 - 2 Vantec "Stealth" 80mm Case Fans, Model "SF8025L"

$74 - CHAINTECH "VNF3-250" NForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 754 CPU - Retail

$141 - AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-Bit Processor, Retail

$82 - GEIL Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

$68 - Samsung 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP0812C, OEM

$62 - NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+-/RW Drive, Model ND-2510A, OEM
------------------------------
$555 shipped

what exactly will this be used for?

I don't think that you will need 1gb RAM if you aren't gaming for at least another year or two...

Will be used for internet/school work. It was a toss up between the Seagate and Samsung. I chose the Samsung because I like their other products and read that they were more quiet than the Seagate's. You sure convinced me with that statement though. :eek:

the seagate drives have a better warranty, and faster access times.... I definitely recommend the seagate over the samsung. Both are virtually the same in terms of noise.

I say get a better mobo.

Get an Asus Nforce3 based motherboard.

I have both the Seagate Barracuda 80gig with 8mb cache and a Samsung Spinpoint 80gig with a 2mb cache the Seagate is just as quiet as the Samsung and way faster.

And for the ram get Geil but get the Ultra Platinum series. Much faster for just a little bit more money.

Add me to the list for Seagate. I have tried a crap load of manufacturer, WD, Hitachi, IBM, Maxtor, Samsung, and Seagate is the best bang/performance/noise out of them all.

I also swear by seagate (see my sig) plus they all have 5 year warantees right now the only other company doing that is WD and I believe that is only on the Raptors

Looks like a fine setup to me. Getting a gig of ram, despite what some other people here will say :D, is a good idea in the long run. Remember with computers, if it's measured in Kb, MB, or GB, more is usually better, and that is more than true for RAM. He may not use it right away, but in time I am sure he will be happy with a GB of ram.

Back